Why not just have a no box and a regular box TLP?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by iceyx, Mar 12, 2024.

1. Kalipto Augur

Yes, you do understand. Thanks for clarifying.

I also understand that the server is unlikely to happen. Though DBG does do things we don't expect. EQ2's next TLP (called TLE there) for example won't have any access to Krono. No trading, and no consuming them on the server. That seems pretty shocking to me and sort of sets a precedent of unpredictability. Nothing is necessarily certain around here.
  2. Soriano Augur

It will not have krono because the code of the original EQ2 did not use krono and they are not adding it.

It is a completely separate code base.

It is not some deliberate decision....lol

And I really do not mean to shoot down your hope for a no boxing server....I just see no possible scenario where that works, even if they tried. Aradune pretty much proved it.
    Sheila likes this.
  3. MileyVyrus Augur

I'm pro- easter bunny and tooth fairy. That doesn't change my plans for this May, though.

Aradune not only violently murdered Darkpaw's desire to explore any form of policing on boxing, it pretty much ended their involvement on the forums at all.

That's why the last month has been an echo chamber of the same few debates without almost zero dev or moderator input of any type.. during out big 25th anniversary tlp launch, no less..

Silence is pretty deafening. Time enough at last.
  4. Kalipto Augur

Of course you can say that now, because they already released the info. But had I asked you a month ago if DBG would ever release a TLP that they wouldn't make the maximum amount of money on, you'd say no. You're saying that even now. Yet, here they are doing exactly something you say they'd never do.

And you can't blame it on code because DGB has already proven that they'll do things that "the code can't do". Bigger bags, more inventory slots, even raising level cap over 3 digits. All things they said would never happen because of code, that still happened.

So now we have proof that both of your assumptions are not always 100% correct. DBG will release servers that don't make maximum amount of money. And DBG will do things that the code supposedly cannot do.

Yet, you'll still argue that you're 100% correct and that there is no possible way they would ever do a no-boxing TLP. Even though, with your help, I'm proving you wrong. /sigh, people are the worst.
  5. Zygone Journeyman

I'm not in favor of banning boxing but saying it's too expensive is not true. If they actually put a team on it for a few weeks at launch to closely monitor players and reports and permanently ban accounts it would most definitely deter 95% of boxers. If they wanted to do it, they could for sure.
  6. Zygone Journeyman

You don't need to apply permanent resources just have to hit it hard at the beginning and incrementally. 99% of people don't want to lose their accounts permanently, they wouldn't box if they saw it actually enforced well.
  7. Kalipto Augur

Yeah, that makes sense. And it would probably make a big difference. I mean, they could probably code some restrictions in if they really wanted to too. They can already boot you if you use a key-broadcasting tool.

For the record, I'm not in favor of banning boxing. Just be cool to try a no-box TLP one time.
  8. MileyVyrus Augur

They did this at the start of Aradune and the amount of false positives petitioned and general treatment of the GMs had DPG waving the white flag before the first month was even up. It most definitely deterred 100% of DPG from taking an active role on anything again. Permanently banning bot accounts would deter 0% of the boxers, just the botters. Well, the botters that were caught anyways.
  9. Zygone Journeyman

Yes I agree they would need to be sure, and surely there's a few tests or something they could do and if the player fails it's just goodbye no questions asked. You have to think also 99% of the people that would attempt to join said server with the intent on breaking the rules likely generate no revenue for DPG. They likely have stockpiles of krono, banning them and that krono going poof would probably generate more income for DPG in the long run as there would be less krono tossed back and forth.
  10. Zygone Journeyman