Why not just have a no box and a regular box TLP?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by iceyx, Mar 12, 2024.

1. Narvakhan New Member

I agree with you, because too many people want the best of both worlds. So much so they miss the opportunity right in front of them.
  2. NuffanTuit Nuffan Tuit on Innoruuk Server

No they could not....and they do not want to....lol
  3. Exmortis_MT Augur

Not even sure that would be legal in most countries. Box armies are controlled by third party apps, if DP simply encrypted the data flows from server to client, that would in essence remove most box armies, but not boxers. This would however have a detrimental effect on performance for lower end CPUs, not to mention the load on servers hehe. With lag an issue for raiders this wouldn't be anymore likely.
  4. Exmortis_MT Augur

Actually I would love to see a absolutely enforced no box server......

Once it is shut down within a few xpacs we would end the argument for good that this is what most players want. Besides individual play affects others far more than boxing. Boxing does not equal "griefing" in play, it simply equals no LFG or forced to play in a that same 6 zones, which is why I do it for the most part.

However there is a stubborn voice that just cannot seem to grasp this.
  5. Kahna Augur

The IP thing is easily circumvented, how do you think people box on P99 now?

The computer scanning? Not only would it cause outrage in the entire EQ community, including people who never touch the TLPs, but it is also easily circumvented. I have a cell phone, spouse has a cell phone, That's three accounts right there with nothing they can detect. It can't be hard coded in any manner that isn't easily circumvented.
  6. NuffanTuit Nuffan Tuit on Innoruuk Server

When I said "they do not want to" I am referring to Daybreak not players.

I am sure there is more than enough players to populate a server of no boxing...

They simply can not enforce it...even if they try and do IP limitation. just as people on P99 got around it the players on Daybreak server will get around it. Not to mention no company ever wants to limit its servers to one account per household...it defies capitalism....lol

People have been boxing since the early days of EQ (I know I was one of them) 2 boxer since 2000. Boxing has been very HEAVY for over two decades...

A no boxing server would die very fast (my opinion) IT sounds awesome in concept every character in Everquest a real person...Then you need to get something done that you can not do alone...and there is no one online, willing to come help you. And people quit logging in.

The EQ population is only getting SMALLER.
  7. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That is just silly, just because people manage to get around the rules regardless of attempts to enforce the rules doesn't mean that they should give up and remove the rules. That would be similar to saying that they should just allow for all cheating software to be used because they can't prevent everyone from doing it.
  8. Soriano Augur

That is NOT what was said....no one said give up and remove rules.

What was said is they should not create new rules they can not enforce...

You just want to argue with someone...soon most the forums will have you ignored most are tired of your nonsense.
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That isn't the way I read that post. The idea of creating rules isn't just because they can be easily enforced or not but because it is believed that they will be good for the game.
  10. Soriano Augur

Now you are back pedaling...lol

You leaped to give up and remove the rules...

There is simply no possible way to accurately prevent boxing...which is the new rule being asked for.

And lets be really clear a rule that can not be enforced is NEVER going to be good for the game.
  11. CdeezNotes Augur

It's amazing how wildly contradictory you are throughout different topics of discussion you latch onto. It's baffling how you can take yourself seriously with the amount of cognitive dissonance you must deal with.
    FranktheBank likes this.
  12. FranktheBank Augur

Uhh, EQ already scans your processes and there is no "outrage".
  13. NuffanTuit Nuffan Tuit on Innoruuk Server

Nothing is polling my processes. I have software that would alert me if it tried. They maybe using something to detect if the packets sent back to the server are directly from the EQ EXE or if there is some third party software that would be easy just put something in the beginning or end of a packet that the third party would not put. but it is illegal to scan a computer without explicit consent...And that has held up in the courts.

Maybe I do not get checked because I do not use any 3rd party software with EQ or any other game for that matter. But I do not think they can even look for a specific exe in memory without my getting a notification. So if they are doing it it is random and it has not look at my pc yet or maybe it does not because I am on a true box server???

But short of direct evidence they are scanning our home systems to see what software we have loaded is not passing the sniff test.
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

No, I pointed out that asking for those rules with the expectation that it will stop botting/boxing on a server is asking to be disappointed. I made no statements on what Daybreak should or shouldn't do with the rules.

If people are asking for these rules with the expectation that they would work they will just be disappointed when they don't work.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

The issue isn't if Daybreak should or shouldn't do the rules rather the expectations that people have when asking for those rules in the first place. It doesn't matter hopeful they are in asking for a non box server if the reality is that it won't matter. Daybreak on the other hand should be fully aware of the enforcement issues when they make the rules in the first place.

There is no point in people asking for a ruleset and getting all excited for it when everyone knows how it will turn out in the end.
  16. Soriano Augur

We now pause this thread for 30 seconds as we all think....WTF was that....LMAO
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Again, my comment was never on what rules Daybreak should or shouldn't do. The post I was responding to was suggesting that a rule shouldn't be done because it is hard to enforce and I was disagreeing with that point.

The entire point of my original post was that players asking for something that they know is hard to enforce are just asking for disappointment. We have seen what happened on past servers with strict no box rules and asking for them again is asking for the same to happen.
  18. CdeezNotes Augur

A major component of rules is enforcement. Without enforcement a rule means nothing. Again, your contradictory behavior based on topic and how the stance suites your needs is truly baffling.

You claim DPG doesn't want to implement not fully finished things (all/all, bst/ber in classic, etc). To implement a rule FULLY you NEED an enforcement policy. No ifs ands or buts. End of discussion. To haphazardly throw rules into the game with no way to reliably enforce said rule provides nothing of benefit and ofttimes a detriment.

That's like throwing a bunch of murderers in a jail containing no cells or officers. All you did was concentrate a bunch of killers onto an unsuspecting town next door.
  19. Soriano Augur

Verant, SoE nor Daybreak have ever had a no boxing rule.

And I will say it again....a rule that can not be enforced should never be done...

A unenforceable rule will never be good for the game no matter how badly people want it.

You can try and pinky promise but the boxers are going to make a fortune on that server.....lmao
  20. Dominate Augur

If the 25th server is non-truebox it will be impossible to even log in to. Some sort of Mischief loot style, and the ability to box and it would explode the server.

It would be the most popular server ever. True-box is a relic of the past that never worked for its true design. All it does is cause barrier to entry for the ley populace, and increase profits for RMTers. Come to think of it, that is probably why it is still implemented. Too many opportunities for side-cash for people in the know.

As soon as they stop the 54 player raid crews warping to raid targets and selling loot rights (lol... never will happen) they can have my money again. Well, at least the Krono I have banked since Ragefire.