Why I quit playing (Multi-Boxer)

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Reso, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Picaresque Augur

To which I say, "Absolutely correct."
  2. Lily Augur

These people are still in my guild. So that negates your arguments on that point.

Not only that, before they stopped playing, they told us why thay stopped playing.
    Iila likes this.
  3. Aghinem Augur

Fair enough, but I was making a joke to serve a point. We haven't had any departure of people on my end, no gaps as you made mention of. If anything, its been the opposite.

Here is the bottom line, people will leave and return to the game for any reason under the sun. There is no real science to this, and I stopped trying to figure it out long ago because its pointless. They stop having fun, they get bored, IRL things happen, and in this case...game breaking lack of bind points (LOL).
  4. Iila Augur

There's always the people who quit from burn-out, real life things, or just moving on. But for the ones that leave because of game related reasons, the streams of nerfs and clueless devs are a common theme among the complaints.
    Kobrah, Lily and Vdidar like this.
  5. Reso New Member

Thanks for the constructive and not trolling-abusive reply. A few things: my team of 6 are all 100 so I can try out these tasks. What are the nerfs you speak of? They made named's more difficult now? Since when? When I left I was soloing nameds on brother island pretty easily, although I needed mercs as i am not completely self-sustained with all boxes to take on nameds.
    Stune likes this.
  6. p2aa Augur

The amount of hostility the OP received, when indeed he didn't threaten to leave if X is not been done he just left because of something, was really very bad, especially from Aghinem first answer to this post.
  7. Reso New Member

Thank you for the thoughtful and mature post. It is refreshing to read your feedback amongst the muck of people who seem to just be full of rage and hate (a bit concerning). Maybe daybreak will read posts such as yours and a few others here who tend to agree, despite agreeing with my own reasons why, that making travel to new hotzones easier via binding would be in everyone's benefit.

Also to point out: Some mentioned that I myself said hotzones are "cheap exp". Or to imply that somehow utilizing hotzone dailies is cheap or cheating. It was never my intention to imply this at all, I think they are a great bit of EXP to fit players of my playstyle hence the importance of them to how I personally play. They are not a ton of exp, and for any serious player not hardly enough to progress fast enough. But they *were* enough xp to keep me moving forward and want to continue to play and stay a paying customer. This post was more of a concern and wake-up call to daybreak that maybe others have a similar playstyle and they may be alienating or reducing the fun for them as well. A change that helps Daybreak earn more money means, hopefully, the game will be around longer and the devs will give it a bit more attention. Ultimately i love EQ, and have some of my fondest gaming memmories from playing as a teenager. I want to see EQ continue to develop and for more people to come in and play. Having hotzones as one person put it "as a wild goose chase" where players need to spend a long time traveling to some obscure zone that has difficult to find mobs, the rewards are just not worth it. Nearly all players used to do hotzone quests, they were very popular, I wonder if now the number of players completing them has dropped off significantly. Only Daybreak knows that.
  8. Aghinem Augur

Uh, anyone who starts off a thread by suggesting their voice should carry more weight than others because they have more accounts is just asking for it - so give me a break with the bravado that the OP should have been treated like a delicate little flower. My initial and general response was actually very restrained and remained so even after being called a troll. I even went as far to suggest that it may be a guild or server issue and to find either that best suited his time in my first post. I will maintain that anyone who would leave the game over bind points clearly has issues other than bind points, especially in the manner this dude wrote out these responses in a pure "Rumblerum" style.
    Indrigoth and Viper1 like this.
  9. Vdidar Augur

Actually pretty much anywhere in the world it's always a case of the man with the bigger wallet gets a bigger audience. Whether you think it's right or not is irrelevant.
  10. Aghinem Augur

Except this isn't a situation where a person has a monetary vested interest in a company, this is a individual who pays a subscription and through their own admittance plays with extremely limited time who didn't even know about fellowships. So a person with a lack of knowledge about the game should be given more attention just because they pay more, which in turn would impact the community? Maybe he works at Daybreak! (couldn't resist the last part).
    Indrigoth likes this.
  11. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

I believe the OP probably has more knowledge of a "player's" EQ experience than anybody at DB, because I'm pretty sure DB has said that nobody on their team plays EQ (except one guy that might still occasionally raid only). But that only makes the OP's post that much more relevant, not less.

I maintain several toons in a popular casual guild and the OPs level of understanding of the game is exactly on par with all the non-105, non-raiding players that I know. He's a perfect example of a newer player suffering from the vast amount of disorganized and difficult-to-find information about EQ. Information that is only maintained across many fan sites (many of which aren't even around), is usually outdated and incomplete. This isn't his fault, it's EQ's fault.

Perhaps if there were some organized tutorials or guides, maintained by DB, then and only then could somebody give somebody else crap for not knowing something. But they'd still be a jerk. Older players should be encouraging and helping younger players, not abusing them.

Money talks. The OP wasn't "just asking for it". Aghinem, I think you were looking for somebody to bully.
  12. Derd Augur

Psst, play thru the tutorial..
  13. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

The tutorial does not mention fellowships, which is the piece of knowledge somebody wants to beat the OP with. The tutorial doesn't talk about AA's or even combat abilities?

I love the tutorial and it probably suffices until toons reach level 50. But nothing prepares us for the next 55 levels.
  14. Brudal Augur

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=5787

Aghinem, Indrigoth and Tatanka like this.
  15. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

Brudal, I'm glad you posted that list from zam. I was going off of the Gloomingdeep tutorial write-up in EQ's Official Wiki. I had completely forgotten about the tutorials offered by quest giver in PoK, and I did not know that they offered any information that wasn't taught in the Tutorial.

Which is the point I was trying to make: "...a newer player suffering from the vast amount of disorganized and difficult-to-find information about EQ. Information that is only maintained across many fan sites (many of which aren't even around), is usually outdated and incomplete. This isn't his fault, it's EQ's fault."

Heck, even the site you linked your info from is on the decline and didn't have anybody updating it until last week (when a volunteer offered to help Zam).

But I definitely agree that those tutorial quests from the PoK are very helpful. I just wish more people knew about them. If your post had been the first reply to the OP, this thread might have ended there.
  16. Derd Augur

When you zone into pok using the blightfire moors stone, the tutorial girl is standing almost right in front of you. And since most everyone is now funneled thru crescent reach after leaving Mines of gloomingdeep it seems like a pretty handy place for her to be. Could there be more handholding, yes , was eq designed around that type of system nope. And to add it would take developer time that is more useful in other places. They have added many many things that make things easier and easier. Mostly though your best bet is get in a guild, ask questions and ask more questions. I learn new stuff all the time sometimes stuff I probably should have learned long ago :)
  17. Viper1 Augur

Honestly, I'd prefer the player community and fan sites be the ones to maintain guides, tutorials and the wealth of information that is necessary to play this game. Mainly due to two primary reasons:

A) DBG does not have the resources to maintain that level of documentation.
    B) The players are just flat better at it. (And they have the love for the game to follow through)

Consider Allas (pre-zam network days) and EQResource. I think both these sites are fantastic and my hat is off to the volunteer admins who maintain them. Do you think that DBG could produce, even with paid staff, one-tenth the level of quality that these sites give us today? Not a chance! We'd get some half-, very basic and primitive guide site that would be about as useful as an ashtray on a motorcycle. Case in point, remember EQplayers? Basically tried to do what Magelo had been doing for years except SOE sucked at it.

Heck, Almar's guides should be required reading for new players before even installing the EQ client.

EQ is just that complicated of a game. It takes study time. It's homework. It doesn't hold your hand and that's why we all like it. We always knew that would relegate us to a smaller playerbase but I wouldn't trade it for anything.
  18. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

Derd, I agree with everything in your post except this:

I'm not sure if it "is more useful in other places", because I think the biggest problem facing EQ is retaining new (and returning) players once they hit certain points in character development.

Viper1, I'm not really asking for DB to document everything about the game and all the changes made to it over the years (although, seriously...professionalism). But I do think that there are a lot of important game mechanics and pieces of info ("that everybody should know") that are overlooked because there is nothing pointing them out to players. And I think DB has a responsibility as the managers of the game to make that information more available and consistent for the players.

But I've noticed that this thread has run off the tracks. It was originally about bind points and accessibility for the new hotzones. Fellowship campfires are only one aspect of transportation in EQ, and do not solve the hotzone travel problem.
  19. Aghinem Augur

If anyone is going to constitute travel as a problem in EverQuest, they don't need to be playing EverQuest. Seriously, I liken this to some invalids who have taken laziness to a mountainous level. Its as if you have some morbidly obese individual who rarely moves around their own home, and now doesn't even want to move around in the game. This whole entire topic is epic fail of preposterous proportions.

Edit: I do apologize if the aforementioned statement may come off as harsh, but anyone complaining about something as trivial as travel in the game really do NOT need to be playing this game. From existing bind locations, POK stones, guild hall portals, etc - it does not get anymore trivial than that.
    Viper1 likes this.
  20. segap Augur

The thing is that nearly everything you need to know is a quick google search away. Spending a little time going through these forums and looking at old posts with pertinent topics can also get you up to speed in a couple hours. Adding more hand holding info to the game is not going to help the lazy out. They're going to ignore it just like they don't spend the time searching on their own. You can't help the instant gratification crowd no matter how you present the information.

Nearly all the resources needed to succeed at this game are readily available for anyone with an inkling of motivation. The only real option to help the clueless is to dumb the game down more. There is a lot of money in really simple games. The question is whether or not they want to go that route, ditching much of their loyal customer base to try to draw the casual, simple gamer to an aging title.
    Tatanka likes this.