Why I quit playing (Multi-Boxer)

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Reso, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Can't speak to 6-box specifically, but I three box. It depends on your schedule. Before I got to 100 (too high for the hot zones now), they were still very worthwhile. Especially when the mobs were still dark blue. I play short sessions, and haven't been max level in well over a decade. From a strict AA/minute yardstick, they really can't be beat. Port in, pop lesson, do the quest, takes like 5 minutes, and you have 10-15 AA per char. Now, finish the lesson there in a hot zone with dark blue mobs, or go elsewhere.

When I have more time, go grab an HA, and pop lesson before the final turnin. So now, I have 28 minutes left of a lesson, and may not finish another HA that fast. So go spend the rest in a hot zone, doing a teek quest.

Tat
  2. Vitr New Member

The Teek's Dailies can be different on each server. Lesson does not affect Teek's Dailies.

I three box and two of my characters are sitting at 100.95 completing all of the level 100 AAs they need. They are both over 9000AAs so no bonus. They each get about 22 AAs for the level 95 Teek's quests.

Hoppers and crabs take less than 10 minutes per quest if the mobs are up. Elders are never up, so I have a circuit of 18 placeholders i kill and it can take up to three spawn cycles to get 5. Elders scowl now.
  3. MrMajestykx Augur

4. lancelove Augur

I find it hard to believe someone with a full group of gold members would say this. You are quitting because you cant port your group around lol? How can you not be doing progression and just teeks?? How are you not max aa already?? Seems like a troll.
    At least you are somewhat articulate.
  5. Viper1 Augur

apparently having a credit card and the ability to sign up for multiple accounts DOESN'T make one good at gaming.
  6. segap Augur

A lot of people are better off 3 or 4 boxing with mercs. It's likely he's trying to do too much which actually means he can do less. He said it takes him an hour to do HAs which is why he does dailies when short on time. That points out he's not adept at boxing 6.
  7. Critts Augur

I play a wizard and I would sacrifice my ability to port around, bind, and secondary bind in an instant if it meant I could do a significant amount more damage per second. The truth is in the modern game there is little to no need to be able to bind. The only thing location spells offers is a bit more ease when your moving around. Besides if TBM is in anyway a model for upcoming expansions then teloportaion will go the way of dinosaur. There were no teleportation related spells at all in that expansion. the only thing we got was a way overpriced collectors edition expansion that had a placeable item that can be clicked to port to plane of health. I wasn't really bothered by this because we got mana burn but then that got Nurfed so yea. Anyway if you box 6 then don't complain about boxing 6. I two box and can beat about 90% of all group content a significant bit less if your counting achievements. I guess what I'm trying to say is maybe you should focus on playing the classes you like the most and getting really good at them then you don't have to drag all those bots around.
  8. Hostility Elder

Thank you for your support. Come again!
  9. Reso New Member

Thank you Ruven for not misconstruing my post.

I was not trying to come off as elitist. I was merely stating why i was quitting, what daybreak could do about it, and the potential loss of revenue from players like me and perhaps other players (i thought) who have similar playstyles.

I'm not asking for the whole game to be easy. I'm not asking for WOW, i think WOW is an example of taking ease-of-play a little bit too far in some cases. Hence the reason i liked EQ. I was just trying to explain one of my core sources of XP was basically made unfeasible in the timeframe i have to play. I also like the idea of mixing up the hotzones. But making a zone bindable is a matter of flipping a flag in a config file, so even if my original request was wrong, making a zone bindable is a potentially small fix that could have a large impact.

Now it looks like maybe I was wrong? Or maybe they made the zones bindable since i stopped playing. I will log in and check it out again.

I'm not an EQ expert, as I clearly explained with my limited playtime and no-guildies explanation. EQ is a very mature and feature rich game, more than any other MMO i've played. I learn new stuff all the time still. I never really understood how anchors worked but will research that more too when i have time. Campfires sound really cool and maybe I can use those to help me continue doing my dailies. On weekends I camp gear and do HAs.

Vdidar had a good point as well. The playerbase of EQ I would estimate between ages of 30-50 looking something like a bellshaped curve. The younger generation of MMO players just dont know what the game is and they are rare cases/outliers in the playerbase. It seems most people play for nostalgia, and because they dont like how dumbed down MMOs have gotten.

But that age demographic (30-50) likely have jobs and lives and dont have 4h+ to sink into the game every day. Small tweaks that would not dumb down the game, such as making hotzones bindable, would potentially help ease that pain for the playerbase. I'm not whining here, I just see a small change that could potentially make the game more enjoyable or reach more of the potential playerbase.

I will try alot of these tips. Question: if the necro in this thread claims he can bind in all the hotzones, doesnt that mean my druid should be able to bind there as well? Can anyone else confirm the hotzones are directly bindable or not currently? Maybe there was a ninja-update that went in?
    Ownlee and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  10. Reso New Member

I dont know if i'm doing it right. I never claimed in OP that I was an expert. I'm sure there are ways I could improve my team, there always are with multi-boxing. It seems like there are alot of non-boxers commenting on this thread who think adding more characters to a box team means faceroll ez-mode for all game content. That is not the case, the more characters you add the more complex your setup gets. My setup is by no means at all great or even good, i would say it is passable as a boxing team. Which means i struggle with alot of content and i'm not as fast as maybe others who are more pro at it than i am. But this is IMO what is fun about boxing in the first place. Optimizing your setup to improve your ability to do more and more difficult content.

This is was not the point of the thread in the first place. For people who mentioned somehow binding is not important really for boxers: you are not a boxer then. Moving 6 characters with a druid/wizard is what makes boxing feasible really with EQ, at least once you get above 3 or so characters. Binding, porting, teleport to transport, secondary binds, etc. are all critical to moving around efficiently and are IMO fun features that allow this type of playstyle.
  11. Aghinem Augur

That is speculative at best. You don't know who are or aren't boxers.

How in the hell do you even come up with these assessments?

This a MMORPG, not a MUD. I guarantee its not as simple as flipping a switch, and I am speaking as someone who has experience in game development.

Here is the short version of what I see based on your write-up; you make the claim you aren't an expert and don't hardly play much - but somehow because you pay for 6 accounts, your feedback should carry more weight than anyone else, and bind points should go in because it would make it more convenient...

The reason why you aren't getting a whole lot of positive feedback is you are coming off as a whale. A person who likely purchased the accounts, or plat to put on the best gear possible - doesn't like something as trivial as having to move from zone A to zone B without bind - and then announcing why you are leaving as if there has been some staunch failure on the end of the EQ devs and the community.

I will say at first I found this thread tough to swallow that someone would depart from the game over bind points, but as I think deeper about it - it makes perfect sense. You have no real invested time into your toons, therefore - its not a big deal to just walk away from it. Most of the time, people who put up threads like this are actually just bored of the game and want to come up with the most minuscule reason to leave.

With that said. Good luck to you. I'm not going to respond any further to this.
    Indrigoth likes this.
  12. Lily Augur

Everyone stops playing for the same reason: they're no longer having fun. He stated why he's not having fun. One person's reason for not having fun is just as legitimate as anyone else's. Cut him some slack.
  13. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Actually if someone wasn't playing prime time and not active in a guild active during time period I could see someone not knowing about all sorts of things in EQ including fellowships. Back many years ago I knew a lady who played EQ every free hour she had after work and weekends for over a year... One time I asked why she kept stopping when we were running places. She said she had to answer tells. I said put on autofollow and she had no idea what I was talking about. It happens.

When they added various EQ tips to the loading screens that was a great idea. Can't remember what it was but I seem to recall learning something I never knew or had at least forgotten off those tip screens.
  14. jeskola pheerie

I bet she didn't start her own thread on the forums about the issue, though. Also she doesn't sound like a 6-boxer.if someone has put in the time to setup a 6box and play it for a year in modern eq and never figured out fellowship campfires, then complaining about travel in eq on their own "why I quit" thread is wrong.
    Aghinem likes this.
  15. Tatanka Joe Schmo

How do you "figure out" campfires, if you don't know what a Fellowship is? It's not like you can accidentally hit a key combo and VIOLA! Hey, a campfire!
  16. jeskola pheerie

By looking at those windows and menu options you have never used before and looking at the in-game knowledge base, or spending 2 minutes on the web before you spend a year 6-boxing.
  17. Ravengloome Augur

Legit question: there is an in game knowledge base?
    Stune likes this.
  18. EnchFWO Augur

Because reading is hard!

Anyhow... as a 2 - 6 boxer myself... you could easily run COTF HA dailies for more XP in a short time frame (just like Teek)... and guess what... the ports and binds are right there! OP, you said yourself they affected your 'cheap and dirty' way of gaining XP. Well, obviously if you knew it was too good to be true before then why would you expect it to last? Changing/rotating Hot Zones is something the playerbase has been asking for them to do for... years?

If your playtime is so limited and off-hours then maybe EQ just wasn't the game for you to stick with. Things aren't always as complicated as they seem. Sorry to sound condescending but basically your argument is "I have very little time to play but I expect easy and exaggerated returns regardless". That's pretty flawed.
    Stune likes this.
  19. Stune Augur

I left my 12 accounts 100lvls on ice, and restarted with 3 on TLP. I wasn't happy with the nerfs.

Reso, re-look at your setup you have very valid points, i have been there before "at how much it sucked to run around looking for xp" in zones that have little to no xp gain. Hotzones or not, they have less then some tasks.

RoF+COF i think you would enjoy those tasks greatly, but with the nerfs i dont know if named will be easy boxing. There is many hours of fun gaining achievements etc..

Time is your problem, and EQ fills your day up pretty fast. If you dont have 2-4 hours of game time you might not like to continue with EQ.

I used to be a hardcore raider, and boxed to keep up. If anyone knows the hardships catching up it is me.

It seems your just out for the xp, do some tasks, and play to just have fun. I do recommend looking at the future of where you can play at. Such as ROF + COF tasks..

Get to 100ish and box in those tasks, its hella fun
  20. Stune Augur

I pretty much have to totally agree with this.

I felt the same way, my cheap and dirty way of gaining xps.

OP, wish we met up a couple years ago, i would have ran the whole xp circle ring with you. HZ or not made no difference. When i was prepping to return to a raiding stance, from 80 140aa to 100 12k-14kaa max at the time to a raiding guild that skipped 90% of what i was at due to the zones they raided in now.... i was left with my foot in my mouth.

You really need to be asking very, very dum questions, i know i did.....

long story short, lvl 100 and over 9000aa then they bring out hero characters.... free AA i was so ticked lmao.

we all have our stories, and hardships getting there but it seems your only going for the xp and thrill of the zones.. So i really think your not looking at the whole picture right now.