Why everyone gets away with dispelling charm pets??

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by That One Guy, Jun 13, 2017.

1. That One Guy Augur

This is definitely not allowed, yet people get away with it constantly. Nothing happens to anyone, so they continually do it on important mobs. Petitions just get a thank you and we will look into it.

If there were punishments, people would be scared to do it. As of now, there is at least 1 guild who could care less if they are doing something wrong. They haven't been punished yet, and all it's doing is giving them more confidence to continue doing it.

Can we can some clarification on the rules for this please? Is it allowed as long as someone doesn't do it constantly? What's the trick to people getting away with doing this during important fights?

I used to be 100% against doing this to other people. Unfortunately, after seeing how many people do it with 0 repercussions... is there a down side to me joining in? Am I just evening the playing field or do people actually get in trouble for this? Can I do it as long as I don't do it multiple times? Like I can dispell a charm fight during an important fight, win the dps race (or watch chanter die), and it's fine as long as I don't follow the chanter around and keep doing it? Is that the trick?

Anyone else have some thoughts on if this is just something we have to deal with and accept or are people actually being punished?
  2. AgentofChange Augur

Generally if you only do it to dps race, or if they charm something you a specifically killing, you won't get punished.
    Ilshade likes this.
  3. That One Guy Augur

This sounds awful. Those are the only important times people are doing it. Do they just not care or is it too hard to prove intent? So I can just dispell someone's charm pet during efreeti or brother in rathe, me dispelling it causes them to die... and they essentially allow this? Lol.

I honestly rather people train me.
  4. Piku Elder

EQ players will be super sensitive about some things, such as when you argue that training/ksing shouldn't be against the rules when you look at how the game was designed, but other things they don't give two about, such as dispelling mez
  5. AgentofChange Augur

I'm not sure, people have been suspended for it. If you dispel someone's pet, they die due to it, and you don't end up killing the mob you were racing over you, it would look pretty bad and I could see a petition against you ending up in a suspension.

But if you're racing, it's all about dps. Why would I allow you to have enchanter charm pet dps if we're racing? It's a viable tactic when racing to dispel the pet.
  6. That One Guy Augur

If only they were clear about what you say and whether it's allowed or not. I don't want to somehow get in trouble the first time I do it, after I see people do it carelessly and never get in trouble.
  7. Ishbu Augur

The simple solution is enchanters can quit running/picking around with charmed pets trying to steal mobs when they spawn from others.

For every time a camp is stolen by some jerk who shows up and wins a DPS race, there are 10x where it was done by a chanter with a charmed pet.
  8. Phantom Ghost Augur

Can just be the bigger person and not do it if you question if it is right or not... it may be deserved but that does not necessarily make it right.

That being said, I would take my chances lol.
    That One Guy likes this.
  9. Mel The Evil one Journeyman

I'm just going to say adapt. I've played ragefire, phinny, and now Agnarr. In the past i've played Vallon Zek-Zek. Maybe coming from pvp the idea of dispelling a charmed pet is fine to me, but after seeing the bluebie experience on ragefire and that people mostly play enchanter for the built in grief mechanics charm/dispell/memblur/mez. Their entire intent is to charm your mob and run off with it.

The reason your memories of the game are better than now is the people that played in the 90's were an older crowd. The people that finally got to play DnD on a screen instead of paper. Yes we had the 12 year old teenages playing, but the reality is your guild, guild mates, guild leader were mid 20's-30's in the 90's. They were raised with manners and they are now 50-60 and probably are not playing and were are stuck with the former 12'year olds as the new base that have no manners.

So you're literally making a post complaining about the only way for people to defend what they are doing in game? Why?
    Ilshade likes this.
  10. That One Guy Augur

I'm actually asking for clarification because dispelling a charm pet is against the rules. I'm not complaining about being KS'd, because that is actually allowed.

I wanted clarification so that if this is indeed allowed, I can join in on the fun. Before today, my thought was that this was actually a bad thing to do and you can get suspended for it. I rather not get suspended.

You're literally making a post complaining about me asking for clarification on something I was told was against the rules and was a suspendable offense.
  11. Trevalon Augur

I think there's a few distinctions and nuisance to this particular issue

For instance:

If I am camping a mob and it pops and a chanter rolls up and charms the mob I am killing with the 99% of the time intent on either gating it back to another area of the zone to steal it or to just run it to their group I am 100% ok with immediately dispelling charm and doing everything you can to get that enchanter killed because that is just straight up griefing.

If I am camping say AM in Lguk and a chanter rolls up with a Bok charmed and sits down next to AM spawn and is clearly going to try and take the kill from something I have been sitting at for the last 5 hours and while this is totally legal and legit to do, I see no problem in dispelling their charm pet soon as the AM pops. Wild Wild West is Wild Wild West and that's all just part of it.

But I do think that getting mad at a chanter who is killing things and then dispelling their charm pet over and over again to kill them just cause they are exping on some mobs around you, well that isn't cool. Now if he starts ksing every mob you pull, whatever, but if he is just doing his own thing and not stealing your names I firmly stick with whoever gets agro first generally gets the mob unless its named.
    Relyn and Charred like this.
  12. Boosi Lorekeeper

Where is the official stance on dispelling posted? Op is referring to it being "definitely against rules" but doesn't cite it.

Also, how dispelling come into.play when the target npc is charmed as a means of blocking the kill as stated in previous examples.

I'm assuming dispelling pets is an acceptable form of player-npc-dispute since charming is obviously a powerful way to steal and disrupt other players time and not allowing dispell would be incredibly unbalanced in favor of enchanter and bards strong arming everything.
  13. That One Guy Augur

I feel like they would tell people in the petition or reports that this was fine if they didn't want people to keep petitioning legal things.
  14. Runes Augur

We had a case in Rathe where a group was killing Brother Z and another group popped in and instead of dps racing the kill they dispelled the charmed pet that was tanking brother z causing the pet to turn on group. If it was a PvP server I think thats fair but on Blue server intentionally dispelling pet so it starts killing group should not be allowed.

Either change the mechanic so the person and their group that dispelled the pet should jump to top of aggro list or make dispelling from outside the group a hostile act that cannot be done.

Dispells and Charms on a mob once engaged or a Chanters existing pet should be immune to being charmed or dispelled by others that are not the person that 1st engaged the pet or by the original Chanters existing group members
    Runes
    That One Guy likes this.
  15. Ckador Augur

Make charms Disease-Based. Flag Named uncharmable.

What do I win? (Besides this entire thread.)
  16. Trevalon Augur

The inherent problem with this is now every Bard and Enchanter just became the ultimate Named kill Stealer. Run in, Charm the named (even if its at say 5%) run it back to your group and suddenly you now are able to steal every name that spawns in a zone.

No, Charm needs to be able to be dispeled simply because it would be too much of a grief spell if it couldnt be. Same thing with regular mobs. As a bard I could easily shut down any groups EXP just by charming the mobs they pull and pulling them back to my group and mem blurring them. Not saying I would, just saying it wouldn't be THAT hard to do.
  17. Runes Augur

They could not run in and charm the named if the mechanic was changed to not allow charms to land by others that did not initially engage the named while its in combat.

There should not be anyway that a chanter, bard, druid or Necro has the ability to wait for an already engaged mob by another person to walk in.charm and gate with the named.

Especially if the mob is less than 50% health as this bypasses the whole win DPS race if I can sit back and let a group do 95% damage..charm and relocate the named and kill it after memblur as Chanter or Bard or waiting for its hp to tick back up to 51% if I cant memblur and then getting the kill.
  18. Rhodz Augur

I just learned to live with it but then I dont use it do more than xp having no interest in hanging out in lower smuck so outside of the occasional random griefer no one dispels the charm.
    As far as legal or not it is a really move.
  19. Kahlev Al-Calen Augur

Why dispel pets anyways?

You could instead buff the pets up, add damage shields, hp buffs, runes, disease/poison/fire/ice resits...

Then cast sow, then cast magic resist, then cure poison.

Enjoy
  20. Risiko Augur

It took a while, but I found it. Here is a thread about this same exact thing from back when RageFire was the new TLP server. Enjoy.
    snailish and Throndor like this.