Why are people coming to play on TLP servers and demanding changes be made?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Risiko, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Phiyre Augur

While you get several folks playing on a TLP to try reliving an experience, I feel just as many play on a TLP to make $$$$..
  2. NoWay Augur

Geez snowflake central, just have fun.
  3. Atrocity Journeyman

Its like people don't understand that some people prefer this type of game. Why would we want devs to make it more like WoW? The primary reason we're here is because we don't like that gameplay model. If we liked newer design tenants in MMOs, we wouldn't be playing an 18 year old game. Things like high-end droppables, , twinking, open world mob contesting, these are the things that make EQ. The flavor of EQ diminishes starting in Luclin and disappears GoD.

If I wanted to play a WoW clone, I'd play WoW.
    Throndor and NoWay like this.
  4. Drakkal Elder

Same reason people like you demand they not be changed....because we have an interest in the game just like you do.

With that being said, I don't think there should be any far sweeping changes to classes or redesign of anything. But fine tuning as needed, I don't see a problem with. The TLP'S share code with live, as live progresses it's natural that adjusments will need to be made to preserver what DBG is attempting to capture with the TLP'S.

I see nothing wrong with changes or better yet roll backs of changes that have made the TLP's less classic, such as guards that don't give exp or out of control exp modifiers in specific areas(level every 45 mins in lguk, in mid 40's....really?). Things that don't dramatically change game play.

Keep in mind, why do people about mages and dps? Could it be because of boxers or even the lack of customer service when those people playing mages become asshats. People wold care a hell of alot less about what someone else was doing, if other people would learn to stop drawing attention to themselves by being in game.

As for us being the ones who ruined EQ....really? I'm pretty sure most of us left because it was going to right after PoP. The community as a whole would do a heck of alot better if people would stop playing the whole "It's us against them" BS.
  5. Atrocity Journeyman

There are many people that seem to yearn for what they want EQ to be rather than what it is, warts and all. I like EQ as it is. I liked it before instanced raiding, I liked it before /pick. Those changes made the content more available, and certainly affected the economy, but they didn't fundamentally change the gameplay.

Don't fundamentally change the gameplay and don't try to solve problems that will be resolved simply by progressing.
  6. Rhodz Augur

And the rest of us just want to play a good game.
    Lot of "New Members", some really good people, some real asshats, and a lot of everyday people in between.
    The only advise I can give is don't waste money on krono, it won't make the game any better and in the end look at what you are feeding. It's your game, have some fun.
  7. snailish Augur

Well, many of us like different things about EQ thanks to it being such a diverse game. Drops in EQ population historically and on progression aren't usually just a single factor.

I am fully in favor of any changes that make the game more fun to play, for both live and progression. Reinstate the spell book when medding? yuck. Many, many changes are good. Some not so favorable (depending on your play preference).

I make suggestions for EQ because I want a smoother progression and better live game. I like era-tuned content to be useful in era. So for example, I am fine with the newbie armor quests being flagged PoP, but was disappointed when Phinny got Gloomindeep tutorial at PoP launch with later armor that obsoleted the newbie quests just as they came out. This is how it currently is... and should be changed. I'm open to several ways it could be changed to make the content meaningful in era (beyond the scope of this thread).

Progression has improved with each round thanks to the refinement and changes. I love the new "restored quests" angle. This goes for ruleset tinkering as well (though some aspects should be tried again in different combinations. Example: some people would enjoy a racing-the-unlocks server again. Example 2: voting is a terrible idea, just make the rules and follow them as long as they work the way the devs want, if not... change them (i.e., unlock time).
  8. Jerrik New Member

"You've ruined your own lands, you'll not ruin mine!
    Risiko likes this.
  9. Risiko Augur

You sir get a gold star. ;)
  10. Machentoo Augur

By far the two most popular TLP's in history have resulted from players demanding a change (instanced raiding) and the devs responding and granting that change. Prior to Phinny, there never was such a thing as an instanced raid pre-PoP. The Devs didn't want to do it, and even the game's producer said that it would cheapen the experience. But, they finally tried it once, and... With Phinny's launch, and now Agnarr's, it is abundantly clear that whatever else the devs may have changed, this one particular change is wildly popular and has resulted in a far larger population than ever before.

Personally, I was against instanced raiding and basically of the same mindset that your are posting from, until I saw what a tremendous impact it had on Phinny. You can't argue with the results. Sometimes, maybe only once in a blue moon, the EQ players CAN come up with something that will result in huge boosts to the game's popularity. So to poopoo ALL new ideas or calls for change is just not smart.
    Risiko likes this.
  11. Risiko Augur

Instanced raids is not a class-defining game mechanic. This thread is about people asking for changes to class-defining game mechanics like charm and resurrection.

I look at instanced raids the same way I look at in-game maps; a great thing. To me, that's a comfort of life change, and it is perfectly fine. What I am referring to as bad is the changes that would affect the way a player's class works.
  12. Rhodz Augur

I think people are bored myself.
    All things like maps do is end the need to print them out.
    Still like printed maps but haven't replaced my printer yet from the flood and all that paper was lost in the water. Shame too I had a lot of notes on those maps.

I'm ok with the rez either way, never was that big a deal as the cure was not dying. Be amazed how much that cuts down on needing a Clr.
    But to replace the call for nerfing Monk fists(last TLP) with Enchanter charm this time around is just lunacy, it always is.
  13. Green_Mage Augur

This game will continue to be too easy until GoD; unless, they do something about charm solo, duo and tanking. Without charm being used solo/duo, people would mostly have to actually play the game with a tank and healer like it was intended.

That might not be the only thing keeping the game face roll. But its a big one. Also its these new buffed through the roof spells that haven't been brought in line with the era. There is nothing classic or proportional about the spell damage. Charm is classic mechanically -- but its more arguable if it was classic in actuality. People really didn't use it correctly for the most part back then.
  14. MaxTheLion Augur

Hey, Green_Mage. Go play a Wizard solo and use only your melee. Never cast a spell. Enjoy your hardcore mode and let others enjoy their game. already. Get other ridiculous people like yourself and try to kill all mobs in LFay before they respawn. HARDMODE! What others are doing has no impact on what you're doing regardless how you spin it. Don't want to raid with a guild that does it a certain way? Make your own guild with your own rules. Make your own groups with imaginary people that think like you. It's old at this point. Everybody gets it. You're a hardass that finds EQ too easy.
  15. Superdeath Lorekeeper

dont talk about nerfing anything necro, kthx. we are already in a bad enough spot.
  16. Atrocity Journeyman

The game isn't mechanically difficult. Success in this game has always been, and will continue to be, based on knowledge of once obscured game mechanics. You say that the game is face roll, but only 1 (maybe 2?) guild has killed any Gods nearly 1/3rd of the way into the expansion. MotM adds difficulty in an attempt to compensate for the growth in player power over the years. Do you want to make MotM more restrictive than it already is? Have you even participated in raids on this server?
  17. Dulu Augur

The only changes I've ever asked for, are to make it MORE like classic.

-No Soulbinders
    -No Translocators
    -Corpse Runs
    -Coin Weight
    -No Maps / Compass
    -Nerf some store potions, particularly levi pot and bottle of speed.

Fix the /pick system to make it less rewarding/easy to abuse, and also curtail the cheaters/boxers.
  18. Tinytinker Augur

I am glad there are no corpse runs and we have maps. Those quality of life changes make the game more accessible for families and people with full time jobs.
  19. Throndor Augur

Why is it that even with all these features that make the game "easier", these kids need you to hold their hand to get to a camp?
  20. Dulu Augur

No?

How? What does having a job or a family have to do with this game?