Why are people coming to play on TLP servers and demanding changes be made?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Risiko, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Risiko Augur

I don't get it. Why are people choosing to play on the TLP servers, and then demanding that changes be made to the game mechanics of said TLP servers?

Do they not get that the idea of a TLP server is to play the game the way it was in era for each expansion release?

First we had the guy that complained that enchanters could charm and be powerful. Well. Yeah. That's how it was during Classic through PoP. Why would you even come to a PoP-locked server and ask for that game mechanic to be changed? You have a bunch of live servers where enchanter charm is pure crap. Go play there.

Then we have the guy that complains that druids and shamans don't have rez spells. Well. Yeah. That's how it was during Classic through well beyond PoP. Again, why would you come to a TLP server and ask for that game mechanic to be changed?

I keep expecting to see someone complaining that there are no mercenaries on the TLP servers.

Stop it. You are the people that ruined EQ in the first place with all your whining over the years. It's your fault that we have a completely bland and boring game today, and sadly that's what DBG makes expansions for. If you whiners wouldn't have ruined EQ over the past decade, we would be getting expansions worth buying. Instead we have a game where all classes play the same, content is tied up in a bow in an instance waiting for you to walk through, and all the gear is sitting behind the Chuckee Cheese prize booth waiting for you back in town.

You ruined EQ for all of the rest of us. Please stop trying to ruin TLP as well.
  2. Green_Mage Augur

Almost every Mechanic in TLP is already been changed -- so It's a bad argument to stop all change. Why arbitrarily keep it all the same now?

A lot of us played on p99 and know where a "no change" attitude leads with classic EQ. Not to mention some people have already had their fun doing all old broken strategies and want to find new ones.

WoW balanced class vs class. That's why it got so bad. It's supposed to be class vs content.
  3. Risiko Augur

I'll tell you where it leads. It leads to LIVE Everquest.

If you don't like how the game plays in...
    • Everquest classic era... then wait for Kunark expansion
    • Kunark era... then wait for Velious expansion
    • Velious era... then wait for Shadows of Luclin expansion
    • Shadows of Luclin era... then wait for Planes of Power expansion
    • etc.
    Don't play on the server if you don't like the game mechanics of the current open expansion on the server. It's that simple. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure this stuff out.
  4. Green_Mage Augur

A slippery slope argument. We can't do anything about mage pets because then it might lead to other changes, and those other changes might lead to WOW!!!!

If never understood people that find slippery slope arguments convincing. If you can't articulate why a specific change would make the game easy or WoW-like, then arguing some different change down the road will isn't very convincing.
    snailish likes this.
  5. daffie999 Augur

I agree that it should be left alone. The idea that begging for changes actually works is the sad state of where MMOs have gone.

BUT... (again I think EQ is fine)... it is far from "classic" EQ. Not only are there a lot of changes that haven't been reverted for TLPs, but you have a DRASTICALLY different player base. People are 50 in days to farm Krono.
    Risiko likes this.
  6. Green_Mage Augur

Considering things like mage pets decimate the old content -- it's not really preserving EQ to leave them the same. Their pets didn't deal that much dmg in classic so its weird to argue we got to "stop them from being changed." At least to me

I'm picking on mages because their pets were already nerfed a bit recently and its an example of how different TLP spells are from classic.
  7. Risiko Augur

I don't think you get that what I am saying is that there should be NO changes made to the TLP servers. They should be allowed to run as they are today through out the life of their existence. The changes that happen for these servers will be the result of expansions being opened on them.

I absolutely agree that it is not a "classic" experience. It is a "TLP" experience which means that you experience the game as it would have been IF the expansions released today with current advances to the game itself.

Things like coming back with your gear after dying, in-game maps, faster out of combat mana regen, Main Assist, etc are not class-defining changes. They are modern comforts that were added to the game over time. The TLP experience is about reliving the expansions with these modern conveniences added in. So, no. It is not a classic experience, and that's perfectly fine. That's what we expect coming in to a TLP server.

What Green Mage is asking for is fundamental changes to the class defining game mechanics. That would change the expectation of what each expansion has to offer the player, and I argue that it is not a TLP experience if he was to get what he is asking for.
    Your_Ad_Here likes this.
  8. Green_Mage Augur

Well maybe not. I tend to see things like this: If you blow through the game like its Diablo 3 it isn't fun. Most of these changes made have zero regard for the classic experience. No one is even playing that content on modern EQ. Like all the classes have much more powerful spells to match the much more powerful gear melee have -- except they don't in the original game. Not to mention they just slaughter mobs compared to the old days.

Some I guess -- really want this D3 style EQ where they rampage through the old stuff to join there 105 level characters or whatever in live. But I think many people wanted to re-experience the content as much as possible as it was in those days -- mostly starting with Luclin.

I really don't care how bastardized the trilogy is that much, I've played it enough. But Luclin+ I would like to be non-trivil and non-easy. A lot of modern EQ players who never played this era as it existed seem to think "well that stuff is all easy anyway." It's easier here than it was. That's the main thing I would like to change. It would involve scaling back spells mostly from what I can see.
  9. grizzler90 New Member

I agree with you and think spells need to be scaled back. Level 12 necro spell lifedraw does 102dmg when it should do like 45. Makes content for that level very easy. It completely amazes me that content is already VERY easy compared to how it should be due to spell/mechanic changes over the year and people still want it to be easier. Either wait for later expansions to come out so you don't have to deal with the inconveniences of early-EQ or play on live where you can cruise the all the content. "classic" EQ content on TLP servers is already too easy. Thats why they have a buff on bosses making them more difficult because changes made throughout the year made classic content a joke.

edit* Just want to state that scaling back spells shouldn't be nerfing them to how they should be but to bring them back to closer to how they were in classic. This will probably never happen especially with all the dot changes that are came/coming through.
  10. Risiko Augur

I see what you did there Green Mage... GG sir... G... G.
  11. nostalgicfool Augur

Eq1 was ruined from start, any game with 4 or 12 hours camp is meant to fail.

So, we do because Eq1 vanilla sucked so much that it sank immediately when Wow Launched.

I left months before Wow launched because i was tired to be forced to solo because my superior healing was not enough, because i had no real good buff (except fire and frost resist), my bard was welcome but my finger hurted too much, and guess what i was lulling, snaring, bringing single mob then twisting 4 songs and Wiz and cleric just sat there anf off course they were doing what was required .. pathetic ...

You believe that Eq1 required skill, yeah a little but mainly it required time, gear and the proper classes.

I m back and almost gone, out of combat mana regen is simply a fun killer.

What is the point to play a cleric when you perform one action each 2 minutes ? What is the point of begin a shaman if 1) i cannot slow, even malo gest resisted and anyway mob are red and i must save mana to heal 2) i have decent dots but cannot use them, saving all for heals 3) My melee is not that bad but i MUST sit to med ....pathetic design ..

This short return already almost convinced me that Eq1 is a failed game, failed cause we cannot use our abilities because we must save mana, failed because staying 4 hours in the same camp killing the same mobs is so totally stupid, and yet it is the efficient way to level.

Honestly I don t get why i played, well Eq1 was the first MMO in 3 dimensions.

Complete heal chains never required any skill, debuf chain neither.. pulling a bit more ..

Almost every single detail in Eq 1 is failed ... as example no Implied target system, so we have to assist, slow, assist heal instead of slow, heal ... here it s not about skill it is about functional or non functional UI.

The broker is failed, i cannot play while selling ...

No trivial loot rule, as a consequence we get level 65 dudes ruining entire low level zones, because "they can". Any decent game has trivial loot rules.

And the graphic engine ? back in 1989 a friend of mine wrote one which was almost better, on computer that were 10 000 slower than nowadays ...

The quests ? 98% are just a waste of time with crap rewards that are weaker than a 10plat item from the broker ... 98% of the body drops tagged with quest are junk .. and the few quests worth doing usually require a ridiculously long camp ...

No encounter locking ? so the wizz sitting there is sure to KS you if he starts nuking at 65% ?
    great that´s about skill ....

When Wow came out Eq1 gameplay suddenly appeared as childish tank and spank (with debuff) crap, Eq2 and Vanilla Wow raids required more coordination and the interface was way more functional.

I reluctantly joined some raid in PoP era with my ranger, a good friend of mine had joined an uber guild and knew that my ranger was somewhat superior to him -- she could park 3 mobs, snare 2 others, run here and there and bring one to camp ... And sorry but it was so totally boring. The only remotely interesting encounter was one with some kiting the rest was just stupid.
  12. Green_Mage Augur

The main thing EQ got right is it was group and raid centered rather than solo centered. That's my opinion. They also (by accident) made the game a little slower than most modern MMOs. There is more time to think and relax in EQ than other MMORPGs. The downside is boxing IMO. But I don't bother trying to stop people doing that. Truebox is best were going to get.
  13. Risiko Augur

Hold it... what... I mean... what... no no.. I think I know what you ... no... what?

Let me try to understand this correctly here. It sucked so bad that you stuck around 17 years, so that you could complain about it sucking on a TLP forum. Is that what you are telling me because I have to say that is the single most pathetic thing I have ever read sir. Holy crap. Can we get this man a trophy for holding the longest grudge against a game in history?

But really... what?
    Montag likes this.
  14. Strawberry Augur

This idea that people on TLP actually like everything about classic doesn't seem to match up with reality.

Let's look at the large groups of players circumventing classic on TLP:

*players who box circumvent how classic was meant to be played
    *people who pay for krono to get gear, circumvent gear progression
    *people who pay for powerleveling in the game and on the countless underground forums on TLP, circumvent how XP was meant to be gathered

How many people belong to these 3 groups? I would say more than half of players on TLP belong to one of these groups.

The pepole who play classic on a single account, without PL or krono involvement actually seem to be in a minority. What's more, they don't seem to stick around very long on TLP.

I take issue with anyone who says that classic is the end all be all of EQ, considering how many people go through great lengths to circumvent classic and its timesinks. I would argue that lots of things improved post classic, including shaman and druids getting rez. Classic could learn a lot from OOW+.

There is a reason why WoW became a massive success and EQ faded away. People who wanted to accomplish something in 30 minutes could do it in WoW, they could not do it in EQ, one of the reasons was corcpse runs and timesinks.Shaman and druids getting rezz tried to address this, MM tried to address this, ooc regen tried to address this, but by then most people had left the game for other MMO.
    snailish likes this.
  15. Arclyte Augur

Arent you the guy that wanted defiant newbie armor?

Agnarr is probably the most successful EQ server ever. Stop trying to turn it into some easymode server.
  16. Risiko Augur

I could be wrong. I mean it is completely possible that I am delusional and sitting in a pile of my own crap in some nut house thinking I am on an Everquest forum, but in the slim chance that I am not, then EQ didn't exactly "fade away". Again, this and you might simply be a figment of my imagination.
  17. Strawberry Augur

I advocate for guild master newbie armor on TLP being available from the start, because it allows gear dependent characters (tanks / rogues / wizards / rangers) to be on a level playing field with gear independent classes (enc / mages) It will also stop krono taking over the market and inflating prices for new players.

Go play P99
  18. Risiko Augur

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....!!!11!!!1.1!

Oh. Wait. You're serious.
  19. Strawberry Augur

EQ lost most casual players to WoW and other MMO.

Most people can't dedicate several hours for every play session, Blizzard understood this, most games actually understand this, EQ understood this far too late.

When people circumvent the gamplay with boxing on TLP, one of the major reasons is that they don't have the time to make a group, they want to play on their own terms, on their own time.

This idea that classic is what most people want seems to be fueled by nostalgia, because when people actually play on classic, they do everything they possibly can to circumvent classic timesinks, from boxing, to PL, to krono buying to hacking, you name it.
  20. Strawberry Augur

Guild master newbee armor? Yes I'm serious. It's only available after PoP unlock, making it available from the start in classic, would allow gear dependent classes to be more viable without having to nerf gear independent mechanics like enc charm.