When developers get it wrong...

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Cicelee, Oct 21, 2021.

1. Nennius Curmudgeon

Is this a teaser for the upcoming expansion ?:D If it's a new perk than you have my attention.
    Shindius and ttobey like this.
  2. Rainlover Augur

That made me laugh so hard I had to say something.
    Herodotus and ttobey like this.
  3. Zunnoab Augur

EverQuest II taught me the proper pronunciation (Luck-lin).

Also, GIF is pronounced "jiff." The creator says so, and therefor that's how it is.
    Elyssanda, ttobey and Herodotus like this.
  4. Fell Augur

Lucid != Luclin. Note the differing letters which follow the "c" in both words. Therein lies your error.

ROFL, seems you have no trouble attempting to apply English-language rules when it suits you. Even worse, you're attempting to invent a rule which doesn't exist.

Those of us using GIFs in the '80s pronounced it "jiff". The misapprehension over its pronunciation began years later, when the Internet let in a horde of unwashed semi-literate yahoos. But take heart. The marvelous thing about the English language is that, if enough people engage in an error long enough, the error eventually becomes proper usage. Check back in another couple decades or so.
  5. Nennius Curmudgeon

The developers pronounced it Luck-Lin. They were/are the parents of the thing. So, just keep going after that windmill. ;)

[IMG]
    Elyssanda likes this.
  6. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Ngreth is the best developer we have hands down glad he's been with us so long! and maybe he started playing on FV roleplaying server who knows!

Andarriel
  7. Zunnoab Augur

It is satisfying to see the proper '80s and not the horrifyingly awful 80's after you mentioned inventing a grammatical rule that doesn't exist. That the non-existent plural comma "rule" seems to be spreading unreasonably annoys me. :D
  8. Pleides Ranger of Fellowship Of Justice. EMarr

Changing the subject, if I cant solo in the ToL then that's 2 xpacs that say my game is dead !
    Ranger E.Marr
  9. Cicelee Augur

But they could be wrong. Just saying :)
  10. Elyssanda Bardbrain

but they aren't.. and you are dressboy..
    Skuz and Nennius like this.
  11. Dharken Elder

Here is my follow up argument...
    EQ client does not accept special characters. I give you:

û

Lûclin may not have been available to type, since the console does not accept these characters. We also reason that everything in this game has to follow the English language rules....And we know that that is just not the case.

Take Arms, Brothers and Sisters. Loose-Lynn Will prevail. Muhahahah!
  12. Nennius Curmudgeon

For example, proper nouns often offer striking examples of words in the English language that often do not follow the rules of English pronunciation. In general practice, they are what the creator and/or user of the name want it to be. In this case, the creators of the name Luclin chose to have it be pronounced Luck-Lin. Others may differ, but in this case, they are wrong.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  13. Vizier Augur

I'm the only one who thought it was Luke-lin? Language rules: U_I should give you a "long U" sound. The C and L together should be a "hard C".
  14. Julius New Member

Personally I would like to hear the creator of Amulet of Necropotence pronounce Necropotence.

Personally I cringe everytime I hear 99% of people say necro-po-tense
    Think of Necropolis, think of omnipotence.... now say 'necraw-pah-tinse'
  15. Elyssanda Bardbrain

the language rule is "vowel consonant e" is a long sounding first vowel, like cape, kale, (cotton) bole, mole, mile, rile, rule, .. with so many exceptions it's nearly silly..

the c followed by a consonant does make it a hard C (k).. Luck, truck, tract, act
    c followed by a vowel makes it soft (s), Lucifer, lucid, celery
    c followed by h is it's own sound, (ch), chai, lunch, hunch, chocolate, cheery, chat...
    except for school.. where it defaults to the c followed by a consonant.. s(k)ool sound instead of s(s)ool, or s(ch)ool
  16. Keella Journeyman

Today I googled & learned about the way the letter c is pronounced, it was like finding an old Sesame Street Episode and realising I was saying something wrong, I have called it Loos lin for years, mistakenly it turns out.

I "discovered" something called the "Rule of C" after trying to figure out what this debate was about.

The letter c is said as an "s" before the letters e, i or y

A good example of this is the word "cycle"

Because the first c in cycle is followed by a y that c is pronounced as an s
    The second c in cycle is followed by an l therefore is is pronounced as a k.

That's why it sounds like "sy-kul"

But this is not an absolte rule, it has exceptions because English is a pretty complicated language to learn even for those for whom English is their first language.

I also discovered some other words I had been saying wrong, like Quinoa is not Kwin- Oh-ah
    it's Keen-waa.
  17. Vizier Augur

The rule I was taught in school is Vowel_Consonant_Vowel (any vowel not just E) makes the first vowel long and the 2nd short or silent. Language is a living thing though so the rules do in fact change over time.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  18. Vizier Augur

For this I've never even imagined your first way until you just posted it! It's always been necrawpetence for me.
  19. Thugrak New Member

You mean it's not PAL-you-doll?
  20. Wdor Thief, Assassin, Purveyor of Fine Poisons

THIS. I thought I was the only one who pronounced it this way.
    Thugrak likes this.