What's the deal with the horrible experience per kill

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Jx2k, Nov 16, 2023.

1. Jx2k New Member

Hi as a returning person the exp system is a total turn off.
    The amount of exp has been nurfed so much that a casual player has next to no chance to advance to catch up with the bulk of the server. 0.02% for even and yellows at lvl 100 is just wrong. I have canceled subscription on my 3 accounts, cause I can't justify paying 50 a month and not level once. The new task system is fine if you have a few hours (or more) a day, but as a casual player with an hour at a time doesn't work currently I am lucky to get 1% a day, 30 kills at 0.02 does not add up very quick. Between finding the task person and finding what you need to kill can eat up a casual players play time. This is not ment to be a rant, after 30 min of surching I can't find any way to email my concerns (the currant exp system will discourage alot of potential returning people). Fix the exp system and and I think you stand a better chance of requiring old player, I have no problem having a paid subscription, if I can advance at least close to what it was in 2012 ( all 3 accounts were active for 10 ish years). As it stands 50 a month to maybe level 1 or 2 times a year, does not make sense.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  2. Riou EQResource

Use /overseer

Most of the EXP required to level was built into being attained from the Achievements as well
  3. Monkeychunks Augur

Overseer is not a lot of help. Sure while the charity bonus was going on a couple of my guys got 6% each mission.

But my level 85-90 guys are getting .5%. Not 5% but Point 5. Everyone who says its good exp is looking at it from a level 100 fully vested player using it. That's who gets the most exp.

But I will agree with tasks etc that are in the Hero's Journey. Some of those give out a nice chunk.

As far as Collects - those again scale to level
  4. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

There is no place to email your concerns.

I think many players are skewered in their memories and perception. Leveling up long ago took days if not weeks. Now we log in and experience flies by at lower levels because we are overpowered. Then we hit the mid 60's and everything slows down

That is because now we are playing at the same ratio between levels and mobs and armor. Not overpowering stuff like in the early levels.

But on the good side of things, you can still play free and work on leveling then pay again when you feel like it. That is one big plus this game has.
    Nennius likes this.
  5. Jx2k New Member

It's not a memory thing, even when ldon first came out, one could earn 15% to 18% ish per ldon mission/task and they took less then an hour( I did over 1000 of them on the old tt server). In the past even with the old he'll levels, me and my wife never had a problem grinding 15 to 20% of a level (in about an hour) and it was about that rate up to at lest level 85, that's when me and my wife stop playing do to my health issues. I may be set in my way grinding the levels when an expansion came out, then do quests. But a casual player is not going to use up 1/2 of there play time running all over the place to talk to npcs before then can enjoy the game.
    Starwars galaxies, had the same problem with the exp system and sadly waited to long to fix it, and lost most of there players. When they did fix it it was 10x more enjoyable. If there is no feeling of progress, 50 to 70% of people will just invest their money on another game. The current exp system feels more like a job.
  6. Herf Augur

Come to Agnarr :). You'll never fall behind.
  7. Nekk Augur

Pretty sure they nerfed this to try and stop pl bots or something, but could be wrong.
  8. Velisaris_MS Augur

The AA reward on collections scale based on level, but the xp reward is a flat 2% no matter what level.

There was one expansion collects, RoF I think, that was still based on level when all the others were made 2%. I'm not sure if they ever fixed it.
  9. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

except botting is now the only efficient way TO per kill xp anymore. All this does is bring MORE botting and kills the in zone pickup groups.
  10. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Long ago- then developers learned, that if new players couldn't catch up faster, they would never buy new expansions, hence things like Defiant Armor and before that LoY era noob armor, and hot zones and ,..and...and... etc.

Making per kill xp worse is counterintuitive to this concept because mostly, current devs weren't on board for these earlier changes and the old guarder players are all protectionist and get off my grass - I worked SO hard on this (20 years ago) it should then be just as hard for new kids.- Also very counterintuitive to Defiants, Hot zones and selling future expansions. EQ is the only game that nerfs 20+ years of success. Other games make older content flow FASTER and more approachable, except WoW, which just removes everything and starts over with a "stat squish" which is essentially theft of your efforts. - Legion expansion in WoW = farm 24 Trillion. =TRILLION, with a capital T "artifact points" to evolve your class weapon, which was then sundered and all characters deleveld the following expansion.

#feelsbadman

Kek, they had to nerf the text echo down in digits to not show |trivial| xp hits because people were posting them online- .00000023 % XP a BLUE CON kill lmao
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  11. Bernel Augur

I think what happened is that the exp required to level is pretty much all like hell levels at the higher levels. It's not so much that the mob's are giving less exp. They may still be giving the appropriate exp points relative to their level. But what seemed to have changed is the amount of exp you need to level is 100x or 1000x more than would normally be required to level. The only efficient way to level is to do the quests that give a percentage reward. A quest that gives a 5% reward is going to move the bar 5% no matter how many exp points that is. But to move the bar 5% with kills might require 5000 kills because the amount of exp needed for the level is so great.
  12. Randomized Augur

Can I ask what expansions you're killing in and where you're killing.

If you're level 100 and youre doing Heroic Adventures (say like Gribbles) - the mob xp has been cut in those. Because the true xp from Heroic Adventures comes from completing the steps and completing the entire adventure. You get your experience in bulk during the final hail for the turn in (this way people aren't requesting missions for instanced mobs so they're uncontested, killing them all, dropping adventure, and getting adventure again to rinse and repeat)

Because at level 105 I was still getting 1.25% a kill for dark blue mobs out in the open world.

I think what you were experiencing was mob xp in an HA/mission
  13. Jx2k New Member

Hi
    Umm the last zone I was in was wk(the one with level 100 and up npcs) and I get that doing the missions help with exp. How ever as a casual player with limited time to play waisting 1/2 of one's play time running around (not being able to enjoy the game) just to kind of progress does not seam appealing. In the past one could grind the levels at a reasonable rate. I am not saying it should be 10% per kill, but .2 or .25 per kill would at least feel like progress. Almost every one I grouped with in the pass (10 years ago now) were also casual players that mostly just grinded the levels. In the past my wife and I, couldn't wait to log on, due to the trill of progress, grind the levels then do the quests, rinse and repeate. I guess grinding is no longer an option for older playing styles. The current exp system does not work for a returning casual player with limit time. I will prolly still play a bit, but I don't see how me and my wife can catch up at this point. Which means eq is also losing out on regaining some older players, cause the game style has changed so much. But at the rate we are earing exp, we won't need to worry about buying new expansion s for 5 plus years. Like I said it was never mentioned to be a rant, having to run all over the place to talk to npcs which dictates what you are going to kill for exp and get buffed just does not work for a casual player. If it were like the past, we would grind catch up and be merry. After chatting with old guild mates, almost 1/3 said they tried to come back but progress is just to slow for grinders.
  14. Petalonyx Augur

As others have pointed out. Something is wrong. It does not take 50 mobs to get 1% exp. Are you fighting the 'weak' con mobs?

I found Griible HA excellent for leveling up to 105. Just use Lesson right before u claim final hail and try to fit in a 2nd (or even 3rd) completion hail before the Lesson expires. I can't remember exactly how much progress this gave at 100, but it probably comes out to something like 0.5% per mob, or about 25 times what you seem to be getting.

At 120, I wish we had more reason to grind for exp, not less. Many 120 players sit at max exp after just 1 month of expansion, with casual play a couple hours a day. There is no reason to fight a mob for progress for 90% of thee year, and that's also a problem for many.
  15. Jx2k New Member

Yes I get doing mission task will help boost exp, what I am saying is in the past one could advance a reasonable rate with out talking to a single npc. Which is also why it is not the same game anymore, you can not just pick a spot to grind exp. From 2000 to 2012 you could advance with out talking to a single npc. Even with these grible tasks/mission , you are forced to talk to an npc, when in the past, you could progress at least in level with out being forced to talk to any one. Quest and missions were an option. If it was always a task mission system I would not be saying anything ATM. When one may only have 30 to 45 mins, in the past you could still progress ( at lest in level and aa's)
  16. Randomized Augur

You still can. At 100, you can grind mobs in Ethernere Tainted West Karana zone, if you fight the mobs in that zone.

If you go into a Heroic Adventure (which it sounds like you did), mobs there give little exp (like you were noticing). It's two different types of leveling. You can still get decent experience just killing mobs. Just don't talk to an NPC to enter an instanced version of the zone and you'll be okay.

Did you talk to Marla Gasglow, and once you were ported into the instance, is that where you started finding your low experience mobs? As I said in my previous post, Heroic Adventures reward you experience based on completing the tasks, and not so much for killing monsters.

Such tasks like "A Helping Hand" have guide write ups to help you out so you can find where you need to go easier so you're not wasting all your time running around looking for where to be.

Such guides can be found on Alla or EQResource (I prefer the latter as it's got color coded step by step walkthrough)
    https://cotf.eqresource.com/ahelpinghand.php
  17. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Who's gonna tell him it gets worse from ToV onwards?
    Barton and CatsPaws like this.
  18. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

That was the point I was trying to make. The mobs get harder and it takes more of them to earn experience as you level up. You will not get 15% like he says he did back in LDON days. Just like right now you can just get the key from the Gloomingdeep jailer and get level 2.

Its stupid easy at lower levels. Not so easy the more you level.
  19. Randomized Augur

Even still, tov+ you're still getting more than two hundredth of a percentage per mob

From his current standpoint of basing exp off of mobs killed in an HA, it does in fact get better
  20. Jx2k New Member

Ya I roamed around trying different camps and for my playtime it's not worth the effort, with lessons killing only even and yellows ( no tasks what so ever open) and got 1.4% for an hour. For most you have dealt with the bad exp as you went, but comparing grinding lvl 85 to now, it's painful and utterly discouraging. I use to love eq, just 2 bad I bought 2 new computers ( hoping it was somewhat the same). With out a sense of half decent progress the game is ruined from the point of view of me and my wife. Good luck to all.