What happens to the Felwhite epic plaques on server merge?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Benito, Jun 28, 2021.

1. Iven the Lunatic

Selo is a young TLP server. It got released many years after the quest got implemented so by far they did not had the same challenge than the players on the old servers like Povar. All players from Povar that solved the quest before the Selo players should be mentioned also because they deserve it more than the Selo players. No Selo player will get hurt if not being mentioned on the plaques because TLP players do know that TLP servers are temporary.

Niente tried being friendly to the Selo players and doing them a favor but the logic behind the decision is not going far enough.

Addition:
    If two old servers like Antonius Bayle and Povar do get merged, it would make total sense to add the players from both servers to the plaques as they had the same competition base. However Selo is only a temporary (disposable) server that was not part of the original competition and most of its players are veterans from many other servers that were able to use guides and rely on their experience from other servers where they often had done the An Epic Retelling quests already one or multiple times. The rule should be: Temporary server = temporary honor.
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

No players on Povar are going to be hurt by displaying the names of the player who completed it first on Selo. How many people even know about those plaques in Felwhite or even care about them?
    Rondor and Skuz like this.
  3. Cloud the Third Augur

Isn't the city named Felwithe? All this talk about names and people keep calling it Felwhite but then I don't know was this a nickname that I never heard about?
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Honestly I can never remember the spelling so I just copied what was in the post I responded to
  5. alanus Augur

Lol seriously? Details?!
    Nennius and CatsPaws like this.
  6. Iven the Lunatic

Felwithe is the anagram for white elf. German based players called the high elves Weißbrot (white bread) in the past.
  7. Iven the Lunatic

Not many players do care about them, so there is/was no need to add more players to the plaques in this case. It seems that you agree with me there.
  8. Nennius Curmudgeon

Or to subtract from them. And I don't agree with you in this.
    Skuz likes this.
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Nope, don't agree with you at all, I don't see it as adding more players to the plaques just figuring a way to preserve the ones on them with a server merge and I think it is a neat addition to the server merge process.
    Skuz likes this.
  10. Iven the Lunatic

It does make server merges more complicated. Afaik players from Selo were able to move to other servers with /servertransfer and not only to Povar automatically. Most of the former TLP PCs will no longer be used anyway or being deleted as the TLP crowd will just jump onto the next TLP server by starting a new toon.

Every (disposable ?) PC that is noted on the plaques had to be tracked after Selo got closed and then being added to the right plaque of the server where the PC moved to. This is quiet some work and frankly that time could be used for class balance, Overseer improvements and other more usefull stuff. It would be wise to exclude TLP servers from updating the An Epic Retelling plaques in the future.
  11. Act of Valor The Newest Member

What? you are pulling garbage out of thin air. niente already made the script, they demonstrated it worked, they didn't need to individually track down all 16 players on Selo, this didn't eat precious time that was taken away from class balance. lol
  12. Waring_McMarrin Augur

How does it make the server merges more complicated? And what does it matter if the toons are no longer used as the same question can be asked about toons on all servers.

Either way it is recognizing the person who finished first on each server and it has no impact on anyone who finished it later on. From what I gather this didn't take much work at all as Niente said she would look into it on June 28th 2021 and reported back 8 days later on July 6th 2021 that she had a solution. From that point forward it just happens with the server merge and there is nothing to worry about.

You are complaining about the work to do it but you want them to do more work to undo it?
    Skuz and Nennius like this.
  13. Drencrom Beimeith's Supervisor

It's nice that plaques matter on other servers. Where I'm from, it's a few select people from a certain high end guild, and their alts. All of them were completed before the quest was known publicly, because certain people had dev friends that told them about it. Devs that no longer even work for DPG. Most of the alts seen on the plaques are not active, they were just logged in to do the quest and claim the server first before anyone else could find out about it. I suspect no other server has earlier completion times.
  14. Szilent Augur

this did not happen.
    Nennius and Riou like this.
  15. Riou EQResource

There was offhand comments about people completing something new like 1 or 2 here or there (from actual players, and no more then like 2 or 3 game wide), forget where it was first seen, which turned into the Retelling stuff, then basically a community effort to find the Artisan Prize stuff after that (in the eqresource sw channel where it was basically co-ordinated there along with some Retelling stuff, since each Retelling was 1 hint per ground spawn)

The original peoples comments before it blew up were like 2-4 weeks old or something before it picked up steam

If people took them with their Alts after that, I dunno maybe?
  16. Iven the Lunatic

Which does mean that it might had taken eight full work days for the whole action just to make sixteen players happy.

Niente won't undo it, because then a few people would be unhappy or even mad (0-16 + a handfull of forum heroes that are not directly affected), and it would be a loss of face. It is now the time to set the course by making a strategic decision. Two choices:

1. Repeating the action for TLP server merges in the future would sum up to many more hours of rather unimportant work that does not improve the game.

or

2. Let it be a one time action for TLP server merges, learning the lesson, and saving up much time in the future. As a compromise, live server merges could be affected because it does make sense there.
  17. Szilent Augur

won't undo it? how small mindedly hateful are you? you bring up how few people would be made upset, but don't continue to how many fewer than that would be pleased to have developers go out of their way to retroactively, spitefully remove acknowledgement of those players' achievements.
    Skuz likes this.
  18. Nennius Curmudgeon

In any case, Niente has indicated what will happen. It is a done deal. And I think Niente went down the right path on this.

P.S. There are many bigger issues in EQ.
    Skuz and Szilent like this.
  19. Iven the Lunatic

/target Szilent
    /tth

Definitely. :)
  20. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Why do you think that the work that is already complete would take any more work? It is very unlikely that this action requires any work on their part as it is just part of the server merge script at this point. It is also very unlikely that it took 8 days work of work rather that is when she reported back that it worked,

Either way at this point in time it is already part of the script and it would take more work in order to remove it. I really don't understand your hate for this change.