Weapon Procs

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Branntick, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Branntick Augur

Is there any way that we could see a substantial increase in proc damage on weapons soon? Some of the procs on these weapons are on par with OoW era procs, it's kind of pathetic. My raid offhand has a 306 delve lifetap proc. Even if this proc was in the 10k-20k range, it would still account for 1% of total dps at best.

This is one area of gear that has sorely not kept up with inflation.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  2. Kathylynn_Unity Augur

Procs are incredibly dated. Whenever this topic gets brought up there is always an emphatic no from development about bringing things up to date. It is a bit baffling really, as it once added a lot of flavor to the game which it so severely lacks now. Gone are the days when you had choices like Steel Hilted Flint Dagger and Blade of Falling Stars over conventional weapons. 14 year old weapons that still rival modern procs. I miss that stuff a lot.
    Wayylon and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  3. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

The offensive proc on weapons could definitely be revamped. The procs either need to be larger or go off far more often.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  4. Romance Augur

Give a weapon that procs a 10/20k DD to a class with a procrate mod and wait for the nerf posts :)

I think the downside of increasing procs on weapons by a substantial amount is that in the end you're just going to be trading it for actual melee damage from the weapon. Because the weapon still needs to be balanced and increase damage based on level increases, new contents hp etc.

Likewise procs are variable dps, meaning they can be resisted which on certain events would make that weapon quite bad if it's dps is based around its proc (IE Chelsith). Weapon damage is relatively standardized and makes it easier to measure gains as content progresses so while I agree it would be neat to see larger procs on weapons, I think it would require more work (rebalancing) than it's worth.
    Jonah_Hill, Zellic and feiddan like this.
  5. Torriadore Elder

The fact that a few classes can force procs on all swings for a period of time pretty much forces most procs on current weapons to be spreadsheeted out.

Yep, it sucks.
  6. guado Augur

Might be possible to exclude certain items from the "proc every swing" abilities...

Anyone that was around during PoTime remember how awesome Time Lapse weapons were. And the healing hammers!
  7. Vlerg Augur

what about caster procs then? as far as I know, none of the caster have any ability to force proc... ( granted, we pretty much get a proc every nuke with 2X proc on weapon, 2X weapon aug proc, brell's aug proc, fine silk sash proc if you are lucky, range item aug proc if you push it...)
  8. Chandrok Augur

This pretty much sums it up.
    Zellic and Romance like this.
  9. onyuyan Augur

With those items you're getting diminishing returns. I think to get both weapon procs you need to be meleeing (one of those is a combat proc, not a casting proc). Regardless, at some point the weaker procs become so low DPS that I'd rather have a decent spell damage aug instead.

Personally I don't mind where caster procs are at the moment... They're useful but not overwhelmingly so.
  10. Rumstil Lorekeeper

I'd prefer for procs just to be removed if they're going to be this outdated. At this point they only serve as penalties on raids that do not allow you to cast spells with certain resists or bow procs also break root.

I know some people will still want them but maybe that could be better handled by giving weapons a aug slot just for procs.
  11. Branntick Augur

Yeah, I'd honestly like to just see procs removed from melee weapons if they can't be made relevant. I'd rather have no procs at all, than procs that could potentially trigger negative effects on some raid mechanics.

Add a point of heroic stat(s) to every weapon, or just do nothing else to them entirely. I don't foresee anyone missing their Omens of War era weapon procs, and I don't really believe they make the itemization more interesting by having them there.
  12. smash Augur

But yet you come with: Girdle of the Weaponsmaster as a rare in CoTF, where the increased value for it is the effect it got.

Why is that ?
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  13. Jonny Panic Augur

Procs are generally a joke, sadly enough.

They could serve as an alternative way to develop weapons... there's a lot of potential there... but what Chan's reply up there means is that this is an avenue they don't want to bother exploring.

It's always bugged me that caster weapons, at least, didn't have lower damage but higher proc rates and impressive procs. It would just make more sense; a 35 delay, 250 damage INT-caster 2hb means virtually nothing.

On another note, I never understood why there were separate weapons for casters when casters can't make any appreciable use of existing weapons. Why would there be a 35 delay, 250 damage caster 2hb and a 35 delay, 250 damage melee 2hb? Why not just add casters to the melee 2hb if the procs are insignificant? It's a waste of development effort.
  14. Brohg Augur

So salty.
  15. Obiziana Augur

I miss the days when a proc could be the defining characteristic on a weapon. Things like the silken whip of ensnaring, swarncaller, wavecasher, tranquil staff, etc. Some where incredible because of their utility, some because of their DPS, and some were just plain fun (remember the Chetari Wardstaff.)

I would love if somehow they could make these types of weapons once again. Make them rare, make them class specific, whatever, but make the procs fun again.
    Wayylon likes this.
  16. Wayylon Augur

I still bust out swarmcaller, the slow lasts 3:30.... aw crap I hope no one goes back and nerfs it now
  17. Zahrym Augur

I think the Gilded Hammer was the right direction, it fits situationaly and isn't so powerful overall that it's the end-all weapon. The unfortunate down side is most people don't see the positive situational uses. There are many raids and even group missions for example that you can utilize it, but people are so used to not having something like this that they are very close minded to utilizing it. I for one love it, but honestly feel the proc rate (for the AoE) is too low.

Having things show back up in the group game in the next expansion to revive a lot of the 'older' chase item effects would be very cool and welcoming to new players combined with heroic characters etc.

Bard weapon with Symphony of Battle click.
    Cleric weapon with AoE nuke (pageshaker!)
    Druid weapon with a clicky DoT (or healr or whatever) seperate and unique to them only.
    Beastlord weapon with a current era swarm pet proc.
    Shaman weapon with AoE slow click, maybe lethargy click? who knows.

You guys can see what I'm getting at though, things that provide utility if used appropriately but that can't be abused to make it a 'must-have' weapon.
    Obiziana, feiddan and Crystilla like this.
  18. Wayylon Augur

Ya I hear ya, items with more flavor... I'm all for it, kunark was the golden age of cool weapons and procs imho.
    Obiziana likes this.
  19. Bardy Elder

This game couldn't be any more boring now. All equipment is the same, just a little higher number. Absolutely zero imagination. The devs have no passion for this game anymore.
  20. Zahrym Augur

I can send in a ton of ideas to the guy who does items but there is no guarantee they will use them.

A few of the front-runners were things like:

Bring back a group level quest similar to the old Phlactery that lets you get a separate regen from anything else + a cool illusion clicky.
    Melee proc weapon that adds a 'lich' effect that turns you into a skeleton and returns a few endurance or mana regen per tick (nothing major or op).
    Slow proc weapon for ranger/bard (or all melee) - these could be AoE or single target, the bard one almost saw a return in CTOV.
    Clicky root earring for casters - I'm aware of why this was nerfed originally but doesn't really matter in game play anymore.
    Bard weapon with Symphony of Battle click.
    Cleric weapon with AoE nuke (pageshaker!)
    Druid weapon with a clicky DoT (or healr or whatever) seperate and unique to them only.
    Beastlord weapon with a current era swarm pet proc.
    Shaman weapon with AoE slow click, maybe lethargy click? who knows.

If you guys want to send me ideas I can make a huge list of the front-runners and get them in to him on the next beta and see if we can get a few made.
    Wayylon and feiddan like this.