warrior set up

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Kalthazz, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Kalthazz Journeyman

just trying to work on a warrior but was wondering if any warriors could give me a good hotbar set up and cooldowns and such to be a benefit in and out of group situations so to be a decent tank and have experience with the monk and ranger but am also into trying to get a good set up for a warrior.
  2. Ocbeefy New Member

I wish I could figure out how to post a screenshot here (not exactly common for me) because then I would show you my set up. As far as cooldowns, it's a bit situation dependent but, I could explain it in more detail. I'll check back in tomorrow(ish) when my brain isn't as fried.
  3. Tucoh Augur

4. Brohg Augur

As from the beginning, I still strongly dislike warrioring by socials, and even more strongly dislike trying to teach warrioring by socials
    Zhaunil_AB likes this.
  5. Orbital101 Augur

I keybind my agro stuffs like a caster or priest would keybind there spells. Mostly using the Q,E,1,2,3 keys. Using /pause socials in the middle of the action is very bad and beside... lots of those socials as pause in the link above that shouldn even need any. I do realize its a 2014 post and it might still be a good source of info for anyone starting.
  6. Bigstomp Augur

So you've found like I have, macro's are bad.

Mind sharing some of your binds, I've been avoiding them so far and removing a few keys to spam would be useful.
  7. Brohg Augur

there's not much loss multibinding all of

Burning Shout,
    Slander,
    Kluzen's Roar,
    Blast of Anger,
    Rage of the Forsaken,
    Warrior's Bulwark,
    Knee Strike,
    Gut Punch,

, along with Shield Break and Banestrike (and I throw in Epic2.0) versus keeping separate buttons. If you don't care about debuff slots (group content), Call of Challenge can be spammed too. If you don't mind occasionally roping in otherwise non-KoS mobs, the Roar of Challenge is another agro ability, and if breaking mez isn't a concern, Dragonstrike Blades.
  8. Bigstomp Augur

Banestrike for sure. It's a no-op if it doesn't work.
    Knee and gut punch sure

Not sure about tying the others together vs using them single target (sometimes I only tank the boss, sometimes I need aggro on multiple things).
  9. Brohg Augur

I multibind only Warrior's Bastion, Shield Break, Banestrike, and epic2.0

I have a social unlinked to that multibind with Shout/Knee/Gut/Bane/Call. Call I disable during raids by editing an extra "/" into the line.

All the other buttons I have separate. Rage Slander Blast Kluzen Blades Roar - all on their own.

But for someone just trying to get in and not have dipsy dps whining about shaky agro, multibinding the whole schmear is one way to address it.
  10. Orbital101 Augur

Note that the order of hot bars 1 to 11 from # 1 to 12 is the order of what will trigger in the key bind. You can also fit in 1 social with 5 instant AA in there without pause. The rest will need to be single. /useitem is a little bit more tricky and you cant go crazy with the same key depending the cast time or if its just better to create a hot button out of the item instead of the /useitem and where you place it in the order of the hot bars will matter. With all these key binded in group with different keys you should still be able to use them solo or only click as required knowing the order you have them in.
  11. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

Some might dislike EQing through convoluted hotbars taking up 50% of the screen. Seems like a compromise is best, no?
  12. Brohg Augur

That's part of the dislike. Socials as described, or like those, don't actually save any UI space, and have considerable "head space" cost. You can check out Zak's UI in screenshots or from his stream, he does not have an appreciably less cluttered "HUD" than others. On top of the UI, besides, his actual play involves a couple dozen timers via GINA overlay to track those abilities he's hidden from himself in the social buttons.
  13. Syylke_EMarr Augur

Tank with socials for a bit and you'll find out why they are not optimal. There are weird delays when using them that can cause vital skills, like Fortitude, to not trigger when you need them to.

I use 2 socials on my SK. One is my "spam" key the other is my Deflection/Shield Flash keys and those are just macro'd to make sure my shield is equipped when I hit them.

Multibinds are superior in pretty much every situation.
  14. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

I've experienced the delays and lack of firing on some things that one might write into a social. But I have separated out those, created "zones" of "oh " key, "aggro enhancers", and "tank better" abilities. Abilities have their own button but are logically situated. I also think GINA is cheating. But I realize I am in the tiniest minority with that old school view.
  15. Fungy New Member

Kalthazz, I agree 100% with the people who suggest staying away from macroing as a Warrior... full disclosure, I’ve just come back from an almost 3 year break but have been playing war since 2000 (while I have some other alts, I can say I played war almost exclusively through those 15 years and raided/tanked throughout most of the game’s content).

As someone said, what abilities/clickies/discs must be used and in what order is always situation dependent - are you swarm tanking in a group with healers? Are you moloing / boxing? Are you MT’ing in a raid? In charge of adds? These are all VERY different scenarios requiring that you focus on different things (e.g. MT’ing a single boss might require you focus on defensive skills more than agro while being in charge of adds in a particular event might warrant more focus on agro than anything else).

In short, the best way to learn how to tank as a war is through trial and error and, in time, trusting your instincts and overall knowledge of the class.
  16. Brohg Augur

There is a lot to know, and many people have very bad "instincts".
    Fungy and fransisco like this.
  17. Fungy New Member

Not disputing that either, Brohg. Just my two cp. :)