Viability of a no box server

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Zeltari-Ragefire, Aug 20, 2015.

1. SyDiko Augur

I think it's safe to assume that reporting another player wouldn't automatically mean that GM staff would ban a player before investigating the sighting or incident. I'd say the reporting incentive feature would be two-fold as well. People that abuse the report feature, would have their privilege suspended or revoked.
  2. Ruined Journeyman

You know its funny you mention this. The Boxer Light server as it should be called, will be just that. It will be a server for those that are still living in the 90s. I personally do not get nostalgic about sitting in LFG for hours on end, or spending all my play time running from one place to the next. I especially do not recall being excited that being able to solo meant being one of a few classes. If the buffs from TLP transfer over to this server I speculate at the viability of the content even being able to be done. Or at least more than one or 2 guilds being able to actually do it in a timely manner.

Either way, there will be a population drop on both RF and LJ for a week or two, but honestly this server screams casual, which is great, because those that remain on TLP will not have to listen to the whining of the salty uninformed any longer.

#goodriddance
    #NostalgiaIsaMemoryTroll
  3. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

I'd love it. I'd stop and ask if they want to group.... Can you imagine a person always following me and me asking them to group? I wouldn't have to look far to get a partner either.

People might report others if they "think" you are breaking the rules. I hear a lot of worry from some of the boxing crowd about this server as if "one" server is going to bankrupt DBG or EQ... or ruin EQ for good.

Them trying one server isn't going to ruin EQ for the boxers, you guys exist on every other server in mass.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  4. Kibanu Augur

It's not about living in the 90s. I just prefer the actual player-to-player interactions versus the mage bot armies. You like your way, we like ours. This server will be a place to escape the self-proclaimed hardcore.
    MBear likes this.
  5. Zodiacrat0222 New Member

This is a very weak argument at best; at worst it's just down-right dumb.
    I could care less if someone wants to waste their time following me around trying to "catch me in the act" of boxing. They can report me all day with false accusations, make up any stories they want.
    They need something called PROOF.
    I'm sure you've heard of it. If they can't prove anything they accuse me of, then they have no case and will in turn get suspended for player harassment....because that will end up being the report I submit to the GM staff. :)
  6. Kibanu Augur

If you could care less, why bring it up? You can't counter a supposed "weak" argument when you start off like that.
  7. Ruined Journeyman

I 3 box legit, no third party. All I do is social interaction. I NEVER group by myself, unless i have a box sitting camping something easy. On top of that 9/10 mage boxers I have had the pleasure of playing with have been wonderful in every way. Happy to share loot, xp, and always talkative. This is why I say uninformed. The misconceptions people have in regards to mage boxers are exactly that - misconceptions. It is also why those same people leaving TLP for the new server will not hurt whatsoever.
  8. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Thanks for sharing your experience. Happy you enjoy current TLP. So I take it a new server without boxing won't hurt your game play style?
  9. Ruined Journeyman

Not at all kracow, though my alts in unrest may suffer a bit.

I am actually very excited about the new server and will more than likely spend a few hours on it when it drops. But what I am most excited about is that there will be sooooo much less crying on these forums and in game, because most of the offenders will be gone. Sorry I had to post, I am bubbling over with glee!
  10. Eliseus Augur

I am mind boggle at how this idea gets some people in here to react so ignorantly. Do you really assume A. someone will be rewarded reporting people that haven't done anything wrong? B. Do you really assume you will be punished when you have done nothing wrong if someone falsely reports you?

Can we please stop having people respond in this thread that are worried they will be banned because they want to keep using their third party software on this server?
  11. Jet-Li Lorekeeper

Your assumption that I want to use third party software is wrong, but whatever. =) I enjoy playing the game the normal way and grouping up with real people.

I'm glad you guys are getting your server. =)
  12. Zanarnar Augur

Odd since I don't box, nor do I sit lfg for hours. Maybe its because I make friends and am good at playing my class, don't ninja afk, etc etc. I never have problems finding a group.

Also I find it laughable that you think people who dislike dealing with 1 person running their own personal army are not raiders or hardcore players. Your so far off the mark its not even funny. ALL I do in EQ is raid. The group game is fun but really raiding is what keeps me playing.

Maybe I just associate with a better class of people then you do.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  13. Ruined Journeyman

You just contradicted yourself in the same post. Obviously it is not hard to avoid LFG for hours if you ONLY raid. What I find interesting is that you make all these assumptions about me. Before I started raiding I had a friend's list a mile long, and never struggled for groups because I already had half the group formed when I logged on and could go from there. I dont know how many people I talked to that had horror stories of LFG. The biggest issue I had was the general low quality of players I would group with along the way. When I end up having to pull(with a monk in the group) tank(with a warrior in the group) and heal, I don't have much time left for socializing.

Any time I could set one or both of my boxes outside the group I would happily do it. Fact is though, I had six different people make the comment that I play three accounts better than most play one. I take that as a high compliment, even though in an ideal world I would be able to play one and be happy.

The fact that you are so defensive tells me that your post is exaggerated at best. Only 10% of the people I raid and group with do not box, that is not a coincidence.
  14. SyDiko Augur

No he didn't, but you have contradicted yourself from your posts starting at 8AM.

Initially you decided on a semi-defensive stance against the server. Let me remind you that, "Good riddance," was one of the last lines of your first post today. And then, you claim excitement for the server and may play a couple of hours when it drops? Why? It's going to be full of casuals as you so claim.

Seriously?
  15. Ruined Journeyman

Because I will enjoy grouping with the huge population <20 and it gives me the chance to play EQ while waiting for rotation turns. I still am very excited about the players that are going to stay there leaving TLP, doesnt mean i cant also join them for a day or two.

PS He claimed he never has any issues finding a group, followed by the fact that he only raids. Contradictory.
  16. SyDiko Augur

Well, I hope you have a great time and stay on the server.

Right, but how is that contradictory? If you fill in the blanks, he probably meant while leveling and currently anytime he's out n' about; that is, outside of guild raids.
  17. Ruined Journeyman

That is fair, and makes sense. However my original comment about long hours spent looking for a group was referring to the '99 version of EQ, where there was not a HUGE population at launch to make grouping easy. Furthermore no one had a clue back then, so everyone was bad. That to me does not sound like something I want to relive, ie spending 3 hours to find a group, an hour to get to the group, and then spending 3 hours slowly killing things just to die twice and end the night with a net loss of xp.

There were of course things that I think i remember being fun about classic EQ, but nothing that I want so badly to relive the rest, such as corpse runs.
  18. SyDiko Augur

Understandable for sure.

EverQuest is still a very unforgiving game by modern MMO standards. In chat, I've seen a player refer to it as the, 'Dark Souls' of MMOs (more like the grandfather if you ask me, but that's a topic for another thread lol.) I guess you have to take it for what it is, because you will likely have days where your group composition and/or skill level will demand a night of corpse runs. Yet, be mindful because you will also have countless nights of fun group chat, steady exp, and that classic fun we've all be craving.

You may even make a new friend or two. :)
  19. Ruined Journeyman

I hear ya, but I do not play any games now without a voice service going. This is 2015 remember...there are no more nights of grouping at lvl 20 and chatting in group chat. It has been upgraded to spending nights at level 50 raiding or doing planes content while talking in TS or skype etc. Part of that upgrade is boxing, it is simply progression. Trying to force the "original classic" will not work because this isnt 1999 anymore. The same ideas exist but things have become 16 years more efficient.

Which brings me back to my very original point about being stuck in the 90s
  20. Eliseus Augur

Were you playing a warrior, or a rogue? Because many classes in EQ can exp while looking for a group. To suggest that Everquest as it's entirety was sitting afk looking for party is ludicrous. Even then, I never had an issue playing a warrior back then, let alone sit there lfp for 3 hours.
    Fallfyres likes this.