Viability of a no box server

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Zeltari-Ragefire, Aug 20, 2015.

1. SyDiko Augur

Sorry about that, I fixed it. :)
  2. SyDiko Augur

Here we go again. "Who are you to blah blah blah... " Save it. It's the same spiel with you guys anytime this sort of discussion arises. I've seen your exact post on these forums ever since the inception of the new and old progression servers. It's nothing new, you folks need new material! :)

Seriously though, you do know that you're in a no-boxing server discussion right? This server is going to happen, and be protected from the sort of fun that you are so passionately trying to protect. The community of this server is going to report any instance of class-army that they see and it's going to be dealt with swiftly whether you like it or not.

Not to mention that the game will host just 1 out of roughly 20 servers where boxing will not be permitted. You have 2 other progression and a host of live servers where you can have your fun. So, why do you feel the need to try and take that away from people that don't want to see 1 person playing 6 accounts in a single group?
    Fallfyres and Friday like this.
  3. Epicus Journeyman

My guess is that it is going to suck being a king with no peasants.
    A lion with no zebra.
    A boss with no employees.
    A mage with no Kronos.
    Friday likes this.
  4. Zanarnar Augur

You know your answer already Sy; people like him find their fun in ruining other peoples fun. It actually makes me hope they extend the "Prison Server" idea to EQ1; move all these people onto a server all by themselves with no way off and no support staff. Let them be jerks to each other and leave the rest of the playerbase alone.
    Friday likes this.
  5. SyDiko Augur

My girlfriend told me about that last night actually. They did that in EQ2! :)
  6. rune00 Augur

1. I never said it wasn't achievable. I said it was unlikely. You need to re-read my post if you want to know why it's unlikely.
    2. When I said all the "major sites" are on board I meant it. It's not just the two major coders, it actually is all the major distributors of the tools in question as well.
  7. Eliseus Augur

Just read about this server coming and pretty excited, though I don't have an issue with boxing and enjoy boxing myself, being forced to not box will be a welcome relief and it will be interesting to see how the community is. At the last minute I changed my mind for the newest TLPs and didn't really play, not really anything to do with the boxers, since again, I box, but the community in general was disgusting. It will obviously still have people just destroying everything, it will just be nice to know hopefully it will be more legit people rather than less.

People will still break the rules, but luckily there is a report feature. Hopefully people that want to box of sneak more accounts will just not come to the server since there will be TLP servers already that allow you to box.

To someones earlier comment, I don't think the "holy trinity" will be an issue. People will undoubtedly have the proper classes for end game, whether someone needs to level an alt to be that proper class or people will just level those classes to begin with. For example, I know a lot of people legitimately enjoy playing classes like enchanter and shaman. Now when it comes to leveling yeah, not having a healer will suck at times, but there is only a handful of classes in this game that can't solo luckily, and hey! maybe it will bring back some of the nostalgia where groups would push on and exp without a healer anyways!
  8. Friday Augur

Glad to see the discussion ongoing. A few points, adding my 2 cents.

Unfortunately, but most certainly, there should NOT be transfers allowed from other servers. We all like our toons, and many lament starting over yet again, but it is a necessary hassle in order to keep out the hordes and hordes of wealth won by mage bot/box armies.

I fully support a launch w/ Classic +Kunark+Vellious. Leave it that way for a year if I had my druthers.

And to the "you'll never eliminate boxing completely, so neener-neener" crowd I say, "So what?" A few will undoubtedly make it their mission in life, literally, to circumvent the rules. But they're not going to hold the frenzy camp for days, or show up where I am camped and run me off with 6 mages casting simultaneously, or kill any of the high profile raid mobs with bot armies without repercussions. I want boxes off my radar, and if their not on my radar, they aren't affecting my game. The guy who is subtle about boxing a cleric to level his tank is not my chief concern. The main point is that boxers will not own the server. If a player is known to violate the rules, he will become a pariah, unable to get groups, xp or loot without illegal boxing: not an enviable position to be in. And this is in addition to any measures DB takes against him.

Most amusing are the folks who insist "it'll never work." Did they learn nothing from the mass exodus from RF to LJ? Hint: it wasn't Kunark people were running away from. The rank and file cannot get away from the uber guild racer me me me now now now win by any means necessary megalomaniacs fast enough. If they want to be the best, they should prove it and come play by the same rules as the rest of us leaving their mage box bot exploiting behind. Welcome to EverQuest!

Finally, I pray the devs make this a pay to play, debit or credit card only server. The krono is almost as insidious and destructive to a straight up game as the boxers. I hope they make it a cash only server, or at least make the krono bought on this server have to be used on this server. My 2 cents.
    Mishkin and Fallfyres like this.
  9. Malifer New Member

You really want to slow boxing down. Make the server no krono. Without any way to farm cash items for krono that is brought into the game they would have to pay for the accounts using real cash not game cash. Sure you might get a few boxing but not nearly as many when it requires real money out of a real bank account. Most boxers dont pay for their account using real money. Its all farmed generated game cash used to buy krono.
  10. Eliseus Augur

I do not support anything besides a classic launch unless they put mana-stones and other things in for a limited time still. I'm willing to bet that a majority vote would still want only classic at launch anyways.

I agree that the it'll never work crowd is wrong, but I base that off project1999 sustainable pop with numbers that I feel will be significantly lower than what a no box server could hit here.
  11. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

If you really want to stop boxing...

1. Take away 3rd party software that automates
    2. Retune OP classes like the Mage that makes having 6 of them in a group easy to use
    3. Remove krono's from being on the server or being used to access the server
    4. Give out rewards to players who can record a boxer and gets a boxer banned on further investigation
    5. Raise the price to $19 - $29 per month
    6. Let DBG get a full time GM / Guide's that are on 24/7 or respond quickly.
    7. Give players easier ways to report broken rules.
    8. Setup a policy that boxing / cheating / 3rd party software = ban on 1st offense
    9. Don't allow any payment other than CC, no game cards or pre-paid visa
    10. If you ban someone cross check their CC# and billing address so that you don't allow them back on another account.
    KarmaThaKing likes this.
  12. Machen New Member

This is a recipe for financial disaster for DBG. If you want to ensure that Everquest isn't around a year from now, policies like this would get you there.
    code-zero likes this.
  13. Eliseus Augur

On a no box server? No it's not, well, #5 would probably make a no box server not worth it because no one would want to pay $29 a month, but besides that, a server being set up for no boxing, I don't see how checks like this could create financial disaster for DBG.

Unless you missed the thread we are in, or the chain of quotes you are responding to, this is about a no-box server, not Everquest as a whole.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  14. Machen New Member

You start rewarding players for finding reasons to ban other players and what do you think will ultimately happen to the subscriber base? It will be a disaster for this server, and since many of the current live players will at least try the server out, as bans start going out left and right that will impact the live population as well.
  15. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Rewarding the player base for finding people who cheat / break the rules?
    It's called incentive.... You worried because you box or use 3rd party programs or what ?

Not like that kind of system would reward anyone for reporting another random player....
    Right now players understand that reporting = time and most of the time they hear nothing, don't know what happened etc.... Then they stop reporting period because they think reporting = waste of time.

Reporting = some kind of possible reward, if they spot a bot / boxer sure as heck people will stop and take a minute more often thus making it a lot scarier to break the rules on that type of server.

Not only will you have to watch for GM's / Guides but players actively looking for people who are breaking the rules of the server.
    Eliseus likes this.
  16. Eliseus Augur

You are creating a hypothetical suggesting that the entire playerbase is going to break rules that are already in place therefore implying a server like this should not have rules, not only because it will create a server that won't be successful but will somehow impact the live population.

Things the person you quoted already exist in the game believe it or not, but taking a more strict stance on a server, that has already been mentioned to be coming out, that is no boxing / no botting. If you are worried about being banned for doing things already against the rules, don't play on it if you are going to still use illicit programs.
  17. Ballamur New Member

If this server launches in the winter it will gut the new TLP servers. Hold this server until at least Velious is out a few months on Lockjaw.
  18. Friday Augur

What about all the folks stopping by to condemn this servers very chances of survival? Indeed, this very thread is to debate the "viability" of the server. Those who cant stomach giving up their multi's might log on to check it out, but it is doubtful they will stay. Folks who don't want to start over and are happy with their characters will likely remain on LJ and RF.

I do suspect a no box server will be popular, but not to the point that it will "gut" the original TLPs. You dont need 5 or 6 instances of guk running to have a healthy population, do you? This will be a niche server, and I kind of would like to see them become a trend. I know the PvP folks have been clamoring for their own, and I would like to see them get it as well, personally.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  19. Jet-Li Lorekeeper

Rewarding players for reporting others will cause more problems than good. How would you like it if you had someone go vigilante and file false reports against you for a reward or constantly follow you around, hoping to catch you in the act?
  20. Zanarnar Augur

Since the rule in question is no boxing, and I won't be boxing (don't do it now; won't do it there); thats just fine with me. If someone wants to waste their time following me everywhere I go hoping for something that will never happen.. who am I to tell them how to play.