Updated TLP Farming Guide! / future TLP TS guides?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by AlmarsGuides, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Kahna Augur

I know, right! I mean, three expansions later for Kunark is PoP. Congrats, you can now make all the spells they sell in PoK.
    Fhiele likes this.
  2. Tudadar Augur

- Many Spell Research recipes are now restricted to an expansion at least three expansions after the spell itself is available.

***at least*** could be 10 expansions!
  3. AlmarsGuides Augur

i love you
  4. -wycca Augur

It's just a giveback! I use/used your TS guides myself to save me some trouble (RF/Phin & over 4 toons), it's a good source. I'd probably include EQTraders links personally though for each item, since I'd invariably end up on there after checking your site. Hrm, maybe some clarifications as I re-read what I wrote -
    - I'd check around to verify some data, I think my expansion info is mostly right.
    - I looked for alternative baking routes because I hated farming mammoths in everfrost and I hated the 2000000 combines for MTP and wished to avoid as much as possible.
    - Brewing, I'm not a fan of wasting time in Kaladim, thus the brut champagne inclusion. I honestly am not 100% sure when these go in, I know the constitutional definitely cannot be made until at least velious because of the corking device, but for some reason I think of both as attached to luclin.
    - Pottery, I think there's a couple more steins. I honestly don't remember all the details, but you might look around a bit. For some reason I also think of those as PoP-introduced, but I don't know for sure TBH since I never raised pottery above 200 until then (years ago or now). I'd probably link to the stein page at EQTraders for the other imbue steins (and idols for example for the classic stuff).
    - EQTraders links - I'm not sure if you're trying to avoid linking outside but if you don't want to link to them, you might at least let your combine components link to them (I have to use them for the vendor lists), or alternatively, add vendor lists yourself when clicking. You'll hafta be careful with PoK vendors though for example if you do that, because about half aren't in yet (giveaway is typically in the name, ie they seem to have titles, Toxocoligist XYZ, etc).
    - Make Poison - There's two Bite of the Shissar recipies in case it was confusing (the PoP vendor one uses tainted planar essences instead of the shissar parts). I can't emphasize enough that 1) poison is largely worthless, and 2) to just wait till PoP to go past 275. Might also mention that the 5 & 10 doses sell pretty decently back to a vendor, and that you can use all but 1 charge and get the same price!
    - Tinkering - in case it wasn't clear, "classic" tinkering typically ended with rebreathers, the other item I mentioned above is live in classic though, if you want to hit 202, it's got decent sellback. Except for rebreathers (mild demand classic/kunark - i emphasize mild), your main demand is some corking devices & geerloks until PoP. In PoP it's bow cams, which take a high skill, and I've found is somewhat rare on Phin vs. other tradeskill stuff. A good place for free tinkering combine components is AE groups in PoI - you can typically scavenge their corpses!
    - If you're a hardcore tradeskiller, you almost have to have these things readily available, and it might be worth mentioning - 1) a forager (dru/rng, helps to add the luclin quest machete and the foraging AA) - becomes more useful later even with fletching (PoR bow staffs I believe are fletched), 2) an enchanter (various enchants out the wazoo, vials, and then PoP imbues for example), and 3) an imbuer (Tunare seems like one of the best all-around choices for early pottery or easier tailoring/smithing with the solstice/MCS).
    - You might consider a skill-up guide for popular specific quest minimums. Ie, a Coldain Shawl guide, which gets you to the trivs (or near enough in the case of tailoring), which just lays out a route and cities people can grind through (part of the pita is knowing which cities are optimal to skill-up in, vendors, finding those vendors in the cities - all easily centralized in a guide). A coldain ring guide. An aid gimel guide.
    - Longer term, you might consider Epic 1.5 and 2.0 guides. As I've looked ahead some of the information is scattered around. Some of those could benefit from a good guide with detailed information. Some could also benefit from a friggin tradeskill guide (ie Rog 1.5 takes a ton of TS), or a pre-OoW checklist (you can get varying amounts of the quests done in advance - might be popular for TLP). Ie, theres a couple of items for clr 1.5 you can pre-loot plus the 100 brewing trivial (the brains in luclin for example), for the rog 1.5 you can do your tradeskill skill-ups, but also farm large amounts of the tradeskill parts (many of which are easier to get early, ie, you don't want to get caught in oow farming tundra kodiak pelts (tundra kodiaks share a table with other trash in EW - ewww) or even fine steel daggers/shivs, when its a ton easier to get those now (or during velious when ppl were still killing in EW for the tundra kodiak/dire wolf/warlus crap). Bard 1.5's take 1x each of the PoP imbued gems - probably easier to get that today than in OoW. Etc etc.
  5. AlmarsGuides Augur

It's something I plan to do. One of the earliest pieces of 'advice' I got when starting my website was to not link to other helpful websites as it would be like giving away my viewers.

A lot of my earlier guides (like my tradeskill ones) followed that logic. Which is why it had such detail for each step, most of that information is useless though cause it's already on EQTraders.

I've since realized though that the concept of giving away traffic is completely foolish and that's why my more recent guides (Farming, Leveling) every item/named has a link to Allakhazam or Eqresource. I know that in most circumstances people usually read something and it if isn't linked too, they just google it anyway.

I personally have never done a single one of those quests. =X

I actually really hate quests in EQ which is why my website is more Leveling/Farming focused. These guys do a way better job than I do at covering quests in EQ. I also haven't been playing much on the TLPs the last year because I also learned that I don't really like the game that much prior to PoP. I know the TLP community would crucify me for such words but my point is it's hard to write guides for things I myself don't enjoy doing. The same issue would hold me back from doing the epic guides and things like that.

That's kind of the reason it has taken me so long to update parts of my TLP guides. I quit playing back in Velious and decided I would come back for PoP and hope the game was fun for me then once characters got more abilities and things started to get less basic as we get AAs. Plus, PoP is the expansion that holds the most nostalgia for me by FAR.

Point is - I may throw together compendiums of links/tid bits of information for each of those quests once I do them and know what I am talking about. But.... I gotta do them and learn what I am talking about before I can say anything about it. Otherwise I would just look like an hole =P

Thank you again though for all the information you've given me. You've saved me countless hours of internet research when i go to update these guides and a lot of trial and error in game. I still have a long ways to go but I have already sectioned off my tradeskill guides by X-pac. Next step is just adding in and changing info for each.
  6. Gidono https://everquest.allakhazam.com

For those who were talking about the Large Bowl Sketches. I made a ticket about it back during Kunark on Phinigel and this was Prathun's reply.

jcaraker Jonathan Caraker added a comment - 19 May 2016 9:18 PM - edited
    Intended. Large Bowl Sketch is restricted to Planes of Power as it makes a 10 slot container.
  7. Moggman Elder

i'm personally a fan of red ceramic bands for upper lvls of pottery
  8. -wycca Augur

Hey cool, nice to know what happened to them!
  9. Ilshade Augur

Mixing Bowl - how does one obtain this ? needed to make Celestial Essence
  10. AgentofChange Augur

11. Gidono https://everquest.allakhazam.com

12. Nuther Augur

These guides are terrible and don't actually reflect reality on a TPL server. You should actually try playing the game. Its like these things are a cliff note conglomeration of everything you read online about EQ in a forum since the year 2000.