Unknown Gear

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Minoc, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Beimeith Lord of the Game

The NSA already knows what item it is!
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  2. Tobynn Augur

3. Sancho Elder

I know a couple others maybe but I can't update it myself.

If anyone has a Golden Mask of the Goblin King (http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=72254), or Visage of the Kobold Serf (http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=74043) give it to a lvl 1 chanter alt and have him turn it in to this guy: http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=37160

He'll give it back and give you a scroll. Those 2 scrolls aren't in any database yet. I scribed them before I knew about EQitems. The spells are in the database, but not the physical scroll item with the spell on it.

Pretty exciting huh?
    Ishtass likes this.
  4. Minoc Journeyman

First, this was never about getting credit for something. This was about wanting to know how rare something was and how many are out there. After all, for a game that has been out there fourteen years and for there still to be some mystery in it is quite something.

At this point, I have gotten the information I needed so here is my post at ZAM (http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=7201).
    Obviously do care.

Happy hunting all you Rodcet Nife collectors.
    Dzarn and Edrick like this.
  5. Treesong Elder

I care too, thanks for posting this. Apparently the Quest was already known (Calane described it in 2002 under the Niclaus Ressin page) but it apparently was never added as a Quest in Alla's. And the rewards were still unknown, untill you discovered the Shield of Nife! I *love* this stuff, I am often trying to find obsolete stuff myself.

There are still 2 quests that must have some follow up, imo: The Akanons painting quest (Involving Palatos Kynarn in East Freeport and Danaria Hollin in Qeynos) and the Quest involving Jale Phlintoes, the leader of the Unkempt druids. Will not go into details now, there is a lot of speculation to be found about these on Alla's.
  6. Edrick Augur

Very cool! Another cleric/paladin shield I need to get.
  7. Tobynn Augur

Shield of Nife was the name of a guild on Zebukoruk a decade ago. Suspect the shield was the inspiration for the guild name. Fairly certain about a billion putrid skeletons were killed back when home towns like Qeynos, and the adjacent zones, were still a hotbed of activity. Chances of no one ever having discovered the shield in the wayback are rather slim.
  8. Mykaylla Augur

Nope, I used to run item collector all the time. Have a fair few first updates on Allakhazam, and a handful of game-first loots, but I sincerely doubt that anything I have has managed to avoid the database. I'd rather update them .
    Yther likes this.
  9. Yther Augur

I thought I'd mention my experience with EQ2, since they kept track of first looters from the begining (EQPlayers came out just after EQ2 release if I recall correctly). My characters only discovered a few items server-wide, and none game-wide, despite being one of the highest characters the first two months, and a later character that never got past 21 level, attempting to do every quest possible (which is where I got most of the server-wide discoveries, but I think Yther, the first toon, got 1 also).

The one I was really surprised by, that was only server-wide was a really nice weapon from an instance fight, I'd never heard anyone talk about. Think I did it so many times, I had extra to sell for 1p each. You'd think think the best ratio weapon for the level would be widely sought after and widely known, but it wasn't. Now that I'm thinking about it, Yther's discovery seemed to be 1 or 2 pieces of tradeskill equipment, maybe one of them even a poor quality one. It's weird how once you focus on something, the memories come back.

Well anyway, I just wanted to mention, that I'm not surprised there is stuff, not collected, but find it hard to believe anything from the original game hasn't been discovered yet, unless there's a bug or mechanic preventing it.

Yther Ore.
  10. Minoc Journeyman

I figure that at something like a 1-3% reward rate, someone must have gotten this shield in the past. However, the fact that this is a multi-stage quest, that the starting line is not something obvious, that one of the NPCs wanders the zone, and that you can't just give Niclaus a bone and skip the first part makes me wonder how many people ever really did the quest from start to finish.

I also found the guild name when I Googled for the item. However, that was the only reference I could find. Whether of not the shield was the inspiration, we'll probably never know.

I too have the painting and unkempt druids on the list of quests I'm working on. I'm also working on the leader of the third Qeynos guard brigade, Ralem Christoff. However, I don't have high hopes for that one, because the few references I've found to him in game are nothing more than references. Since he never shows up in mob databases, I figure that the text in game was just for flavor and nothing was ever implemented around him, unlike the leaders of the other two brigades.
  11. Edrick Augur

Speaking of Rodcet Nife, when is he going to play a role in the game again? I know he is sort of a joke deity ("Docter Fine" anagram, UFO guildhall, looks like a Grey) but he has been completely neglected since EQ was released! We do have The Prime Healer to thank for our good health, after all, He deserves some time in the spotlight.
  12. Liliana Augur

I want one of those Lay On Hands rings the guy is trying to sell for thousands of dollars
  13. Minoc Journeyman

I see from the ZAM frontpage, that some of you are already out there working on it.
  14. Camou the Persistent Augur

Since Zam needs a premium account to use it and see all items i dont use it much anymore. And yes i think i have 1 or 2 items from early GM events, maybe from 1999 or 2K on my first account i dont use anymore. A cloak from an event, and some green dagger which wasnt supposed to be dropped at all.

Also im always up for these very seldom and rare items all treasure hunters are after i think.

Not sure if it was a hack or not, but i saw a rogue weapon at Kunark times, which was covering the whole arm at offhand. Looked like an opaque robot arm with a claw opening and closing, owner told me its from VP. Also i saw (and i have worn it for testing) a golden helm, with back fangs in the visor and some dangerous looking black horns. Best helm graphic ever - wasnt supposed to be dropped i heard. Came from a dragon in WW at Velious times. None of them is listed on Zam.

Edit: just checked the names

Cloak of Storms (GM event)
    Stormfeather Cloak (GM event)
    Green Shard of Power (drop that shouldnt drop, taken out of game)
    cant recall the name of the helmet, i think it was Dragonscale Helm or so, 2 weeks after only the matchless dragonskull helmets dropped with their usual plain graphic)
  15. Edrick Augur

Do you have pics of any at least? Post pics!
  16. Yther Augur

You don't need premium to run Item Collector, just to upload your characters which has been bugged for over a year. I ran it off and on from 2007 to present and have only been premium the last year and half.

Yther Ore.
    Mykaylla likes this.
  17. Rainbowdash Augur

You're most likely referring to this.

[IMG]
  18. Edrick Augur

I want a BFG, damn it. Or a super shotgun. Can I get a class change to DoomGuy at least?
    Ishtass likes this.
  19. SpamFactory Augur

I have a BFG and as of the last patch the claw at the end no longer animates. it just stays in the closed position.
    if you hit auto-attack the open/close animation will play exactly one time, then it's back to static.
  20. Rainbowdash Augur

I noticed and can confirm this too. Don't have one myself but previewed a link a couple days back and saw the "velium jaws" weren't animating at all, thought at first it may have just been the effect of the preview window and shrugged it off but if you noticed it too....