True Box what a failure

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Arkonik, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Arkonik New Member

From the main page:
    Q: What is a True Box Progression Server?
    This is a server where each player will only be able to play one EverQuest account from his or her computer at a time. We want to encourage players to play with their friends on this server, and not just form groups of only their alts.
    But this is what you see a lot of groups of only their alts.
    A lot of groups I've gotten have been alts. Normally a guy running 3 to 4 alts with only 2 people to socialize with.
    I got nothing against people boxing I really don't I was a 6 boxer on Tarrew Marr but you know after so long it gets old playing by your self.
    What I find hard to stomach is you can't make a single server for no boxing. Did you ever hear the phrase THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT?
    Well I was a customer and no longer. Cause customers like me are downgraded an belittled by your army of pocket warriors who get off on buying there way to the top. We are bashed on the forums every time we mention a server for us cause it dis includes them. Well guess what DBG's there servers Dis include us.
    This is just like the epidemic that is going on with every game that comes out now all pvp players think it should have pvp and no pve. Sad part Companies are buying into it and now they have less paying customers.
    I'm not against pvp I just don't think pve players should be forced to play on pvp servers only. I think a server should be made for the pve players as well. Just like no box period server should be made for those thousands of paying customers who don't want to see a guy running more than 1 character on that server at the same time.
  2. ShivanAngel Augur

The problem with a "no box server" is the amount of resources it would take to police such a thing.

It would require AT LEAST 1 full time GM dedicated to only that server. I have my doubts that they could even properly police a no box server.

Hell on mangler and Selo's there are people constantly hacking and scripting yet nothing seems to be done, and people are calling for a server with a harder to police and more stringent ruleset? A gm could easily zone into any zone a mob is being contested in and easily ban 5-6+ people for warping, zone crashing, scripting etc but they dont, cause they dont have the staff for it (at least that is my guess).

I am all for it, but I think that...
    A) the server wouldnt have nearly the population people think it would
    B) The players would have to be charged a premium for the increased policing of the server.
  3. Hateseeker Augur

truebox annoys those who just want to box a cleric/slower on the side, and doesn't stop the megaboxers who want to crush with 12+
    Faydark, Kevron, Krisiun and 2 others like this.
  4. Nessirfiti Augur

It says Encourage, not force.
    MarttinPH likes this.
  5. Killer Rabbits New Member

He said it said encourage. You literally quoted it???
  6. taliefer Augur

True box, while not perfect, is a resounding success. absolutely reduces the amount of boxing we'd see other wise
  7. Delphwind Augur

Over the last 2 weeks I have leveled two characters from 1-60 on Selo. I have run into maybe 2-3 full box groups, and about 25% of the time in groups one guys is boxing two toons. I also never spent more than a few minutes looking for a group. There are SO many people playing at all levels right now. Good times!

That is not what I would call a failure.
  8. Ceffener Augur

9. Machentoo Augur

One full time GM can only work about 40 hours out of 168 hours in the week. Either they need more than one full time GM (a lot more, like 5 full time GM's to give 24/7 coverage) or they need to accept that they will only be able to stop boxing less than a quarter of the time.
  10. Grailer Augur

This game is a lot easier when you box . Its very hard game if you don't box .

Some people don't want to LFG for an hour , or say you need rez have to pay cleric etc . But have box with cleric then no problem ,

However these 6 - 12 box mage armies are just pushing the limits of what true box was meant to be .
  11. Icaen Elder

Truebox is a failure, because at the end of the day it locks out casual boxers who want a 2nd or 3rd toon and you still have the hardcore boxers doing 6-8 man teams locking down big money or big xp spots.

It's a nice theory to have: "If we stop casual boxing, then people will WANT to group more with each other." But all it does is change the meta from casual boxers VS hardcore boxers to no competition VS hardcore boxers.

And I say this as someone who, as an undesirable class, formed all my own groups all the way to max level. But at max level? People are focused on different zones and have different goals. Sure you can ask people for help, and people do want to help but it's just human nature / it's just not realistic that people are gonna return the favor all the time.
    Bobbybick likes this.
  12. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

I'd like to see Truebox get turned off around OoW but I see the value in provides in the first few expansions to encourage more natural groups. In the later eras simply going from 1 to 2 accounts provides such a dramatic increase in the amount of content you can viably do and being forced into running multiple PCs because the group game gets super stale due to server attrition sucks.

I do agree for the large part that at this point Truebox is like a cheap padlock, its effective enough to keep out honest people but those that really want to get in still can and those are generally the same people that Truebox was implemented to stop.
  13. C3lowz Augur

Truebox is an absolute success.

I know seeing Box armies at highly contested camps makes it seem like its a failure, but if you've seen Ragefire/Lockjaw back when each zone had 1-2 6 box Mage Armies, you'd know Truebox is working good.
    Delphwind likes this.
  14. Melkor New Member

If P99 can manage it, so can DBG. How much money do you rake in with the bags alone ? Give me a break.

Create one server with one box limit AND no loot drop on grey mobs... Cant be asking for too much, one damn server that the no lifers might not enjoy but some of us would ? I will pay more, just name the price, I dont want to deal with children with no lifes in an online world.
  15. Machentoo Augur

Says the guy throwing a tantrum over a game...
    MileyVyrus likes this.
  16. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

They don't need 24/7 coverage. If they Banned people that were caught botting blatantly the problem would be fixed with one part time GM. Problem is the GMs log in and ask "are you AFK?" and if you respond it doesn't matter if you're 100% automated they wont do anything. Hell if you don't respond they won't do anything besides disconnect the first couple of times.
  17. code-zero Augur

I've seen the highlighted term showing up more and more often. I don't get what it even means. At what point does someone qualify as having no life? Guy watching netflix and firing off his hot buttons across his group of characters and who still responds to tells hardly seems like he's a no lifer even if he does this from 4 to 6 hours per night after work.

In fact if someone is really fronting an all automated crew and responding to tells from some sort of app on their smartphone may actually have a life that they're pursuing outside of the game.

If there is some employee of an RMT site who is online for 6 to 8 hours a day working a shift and then going home to do other stuff I'd have to say that's not a no lifer but he's a bigger problem than any so called no lifer

So, what is a no lifer and how can you even tell?
  18. Machentoo Augur

They have shown that they are reluctant to have staff work at certain hours of the day. If the GM can work a random schedule so they can log in at any time and players can't plan around it, I agree this would probably work. But, that doesn't seem likely to be the case, so in reality the players would figure out when the GM is working and just box when he isn't on the clock.
  19. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

They don't need to work random hours at all, they need to punish people that get caught. When someone takes a 20 min long video of someone botting a camp and does a report with it that's more then enough evidence to ban a person. They don't need a GM to log in and "investigate," they can investigate by watching the video. They definitely don't need the "investigation" to be "hey are you at your keyboard"
  20. Machentoo Augur

It's a pretty dangerous road to ban people just on the basis of video alone, considering video can easily be created to show whatever players want on an server.
    code-zero likes this.