tol is a dissapointment

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by mblache, Dec 12, 2021.

1. dwish Augur

Yes, we all have a 6-8 box that we can roll out to "grind" exp as efficiently as possible where experience is only putrid instead of absolutely disgusting. Some of the posters here are so far from the reality a lot of people in EQ. I would still argue the majority of players aren't heavy boxers using multiple programs where you have a ready made group 24/7.

There is no denying that if you want to exp at a reasonable pace at all you HAVE to do missions/tasks and this was never the case in EQ, that is what people are saying. I am raid geared. The tasks/missions are very easy for me, and I'm already 120. I am not arguing this for my sake. I have a lot of friends who do not enjoy the recent EQ on rails where you essentially have one path to get reasonable experience. I can't afford to lose anymore friends/guildies in this game who seem to be leaving at record levels that has been accelerated by the bad game design in ToV/CoV and ToL. For some reason they decided to change the basic EQ paradigm with ToV and the way this game has been played for 20+ years.

Now, a lot of the more causal players are simply buying task adds to the missions and then sitting in GL and doing overseer to max level. This is not a successful game design.
    bootman likes this.
  2. Plumbus Lorekeeper

Ok, hypothetical, magic wand is waved you now get 1 pct xp a kill. You happily grind all the way to 120. Now what? Since CoTF player power has come more from completing tasks and missions. There are hero aa,clicky familiars, augs. This is the game, it is where the content lies. If your not doing that then what are you doing?Also you still get to grind out aa while farming augs etc.
    Wdor, Fenthen and Tucoh like this.
  3. Tucoh Augur

This is classic EQ though. It's the same stuff I was doing back in original EQ. Grinding mobs into dust.

Only complaint I have is the required level of gear is so high. I've got so much gear I can't use stacked up.
  4. The real Sandaormo Augur

Grind mobs for exp fine, but why not also have a few quests going and grind mobs as you progress?
    These are not hard quests in and of themselves, you just have to move camps every now and then. Play Overseer.
    You will level 20 times faster than just sitting in one spot pulling mob after mob.
  5. Tappin Augur

The reminder of level exp is primarily Overseers (there’s no reason to grind). This isn’t a part of the original design of EQ and willing to bet that If you took an in game poll about a cell phone game being primarily source of level exp after progression is complete, most wouldn’t agree with it.
  6. Tappin Augur

There are probably several reasons for the change, but I do have a theory on why they did it. They want to put the game on life support - they want to keep the amount of developers working on the game as small as possible. This is their answer.
    Vizier likes this.
  7. Plumbus Lorekeeper

Or , or they are trying to make the game better and they just hired more developers to do so , you are in the minority on this.
    Wdor and MageGuy like this.
  8. Fenthen Living rent free in your headspace

The game's server stability is far more disappointing than the latest expansion release may be.
  9. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

ToV was already a low fraction of what it used to be. ToV was the expansion they changed exp. You have to compare it to TBL. At least the way I remember it.
  10. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

No. Up till TBL the exp was gained from grinding primarily. As it was for many many years before they changed it and made one way much harder.
  11. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Now folks who liked to exp are happy. They can grind in the usual amount of time and effort they did in the past. The folks that do missions and prefer their exp from there are happy. Everyone is happy.... oh right someone has to feel short changed.... ummm... why?
  12. Braveheart Augur

So a valid argument would be, what is there to do really?

I've hit 120 now I:
    Replace all my gear with the new version.
    Replace all my augs with the new augs.
    Replace all my Type5 with new
    Replace all my spells

What I want is class development for sure. I want to farm the new clicky item that adds a new element to my character.

I miss the long quest that resulted in something you would carry with you in every future expansion.

Put in a new quest line that allows your character to wear a visible cloak item so you can have cloaks.
    Where are the very unique helms or weapon quests that allow you to augment your gear in a way that makes you stand out, something that says, I spent 50-100 hours working on this over 6 months.

Give us a multiple expansion aug like the BIC aug that fits in Type 4.

Give us a POP quest FINALLY that allows you to us the aug slot in your PoP key and actually gain from it. We have throwing items that fit in Ammo slot and show stats that do not give gains, give us a question that opens up the gains in that slot?
    Wdor likes this.
  13. Tappin Augur

Trying to make the game better by encouraging people to play a mini game instead of actually game itself… well it’s contradictory.
  14. Cuuthbert Augur

Try doing progression, you will get tons of XP. Killing mobs is still good for AA
    Wdor and code-zero like this.
  15. Tappin Augur

Progression itself doesn’t max you out. You’ll either have to grind or overseers. Don’t forget raid deaths into the equation. So yes, my previous statement is valid.
  16. Sup Rog Elder

I don't see why grinding mobs for exp, should take that much longer than doing a mission. If people can get 20% exp, doing a mission in an hour, it shouldn't take 20x that, killing mobs, to get the same amount. If it weren't for overseers, it would be extremely frustrating. If you want to quest and do missions, then that's great, but there should be a reasonable alternate root, like killing mobs, to get decent exp.. The game was mob killing centric for many many expansions. Some people, like myself, just enjoy killing mobs in different zones. I don't enjoy the missions or quests. Most times I have a small 30min window and just want to play and get some exp.. But seeing your exp bar barely move, is frustrating. I started in May 1999, so I KNOW how painfully slow it used to be, but we didn't have AA exp, etc to grind back then, on top of the levels.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  17. Tucoh Augur

If they deleted overseer and added rested XP ala WoW I think it'd be a good change.
  18. Tappin Augur

I’d be ok with just rest exp assuming it’s reasonable.
  19. Gorg00 Augur

Grinding in ToL is not any slower than grinding has been in other expansions tbh, y'all are just salty because they added an optional other way that happens to be a little faster (but not even that much faster).
  20. Tappin Augur

No true. I was able to go from 105 max to 110 during RoS in one day by grinding. There’s no way to do that with ToV and ToL.
    Skrab likes this.