TLP True Box Server

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Ginix, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Rhiyannon Augur

I can setup 4 machines easily(2 laptops, surface pro4, and a gaming rig desktop) and box them, 5th one is a bit more tricky as there is a floor separating... but it could be done. the most i'll box is my hubby's because I don't see any point or need to box for me, I'm just not interested in doing it. as long as someone is not using software to do it, I really don't care.
  2. Zeusdraco New Member

I have a setup of 3 computer desktop right by each others, 3 laptop over pinned on the wall, on my right 6 more pinned on the wall ( laptop ) and i have them on wired usb keyboard ( Wireless freak up with that many ) that come close to me. No i dont play them all at same time ( some are buffer only ), no i dont sell krono ( you can think what you want ), i love boxing and doing it legit, very not hard to set up hotkey and pressing them. You dont need VM or cloning craps, you can manualy do it easy with little pratice. I work over 50 h per weeks and play maybe 30h, i dont drink or take drug and dont go spend money in bar, Boxing is a passion and doing stuff myself is my challenge and i will surely add more if i feel like it.

Dont put everyone into the same basket and itsnt because you cant do it or think its too crazy or impossible , everything is possible .

[Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] get catched right away * you keep being disconnected * if you press hotkey too fast you also get disconnected, this is why [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] get catched, any VM will get you cough coz it press too much command at same time which seem to get you disconnected anyway. Pershap it can be bypassed but i doupt it, you still get the problem that if you press them too fast you get disconnected even legitely.

I get reported a few time per days and many GM came Watch me so far.
  3. Venthos Augur

An honest question for you. Why do you play on EverQuest's public servers? You have stated yourself that you enjoy doing stuff yourself. Instead of paying DBG many accounts worth of subscriptions per-month, why don't you play on one of the many free EQEmu servers that allow boxing. Or, even running an EQEmu server yourself.

If you have no interest in playing with people and every interest in boxing, playing by yourself, and enjoying the challenge, what is the draw of playing on EQ's public servers and paying monthly for it? This is not me telling you to "Leave the server!".

I am just genuinely curious what draw there to EQ's public servers when you yourself admit that the player base seems to dislike you and you prefer playing by yourself.
  4. Zeusdraco New Member

When i play outside raid i am doing it alone, but i do raids with many skilled players everydays. I actualy only loads my army at night the 2-3h i play alone, this is why i am saying, i do not harm anyone, i doesnt perma camp stuff etc.. i am just a normal player that love to massively box.

I never ksed, never stole a camp, i help poeple , buff/rezz etc. I simply box coz i love it and its efficient, when i am rdy to play or do something outside raidtime, i press enter on 12 keyboard, my chars are generaly where i wanted to play, i get going within 5 mins. No LFG time lost and its efficient mobs die fast.

Related to having many subscription, i dont farm krono this doesnt mean i dont have any, i get more than enough with the time i play to krono pay my sub.
  5. Storytimebros Elder

Translation = I want to box and play alone, but still want the social environment of the game to exist for my convenience when I get bored playing alone.
    Rhiyannon likes this.
  6. Zeusdraco New Member

Its more like i mainly raid but once we done, i prefer play alone while being still Inside a social environment, but thx for the translation, my English isnt perfect.
  7. Whizbang New Member

Well, since that was my first post, I don't see any moving goalposts...
  8. vardune Augur

Or. He is running VMs and sending commands with [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] over his network to command all the characters.
  9. Vaclav Augur

If you can get a PROPER VM to work with EQ, please make sure to post to support/development letting them know which one you got to work - no REAL VM that I've tried works. Kludge ones to "project" your desktop to a tablet/phone do seem to work, but they're not really VM's and they don't like taking commands the same way a desktop would.
  10. Rhiyannon Augur

you know... if you want to box with one computer only, there are two perfectly good servers for that. you see a botter report them, the other style of boxing with multiple computers is acceptable on phinny.
  11. code-zero Augur

There are a lot more than just 2 other servers that you can box on. I'm no fan of TLP but I do understand why some people claim to like it. I don't understand at all why anyone would want to go there and run a self sufficient box crew (exception being the RMT people.) And really don't understand why you'd want to muck about with all manner of VM and VPN to try and bypass the security measures for logging on to Phinny
  12. Erissel New Member

This is why non-technical people shouldn't try to explain technical things. No offense, but your posts made me cringe all the way to next week.

First of all, I wasn't aware that there are any issues with using KVMs. Software KVMs, such as Multiplicity, are fantastic for running multiple computers and do not provide any unfair advantage. In fact, I'd sustain that you end up with a handicap, because you share one keyboard and mouse for multiple computers. This means that you're actually not going to be able to take action on several computers at once, the way you would with several sets of kb/mouse. It's a slower way to box.

Two, what do you mean by "broadcast"? Because this is not a VM in any sense, standard or otherwise. It's just that, displaying a PC's screen on another device (in layman's terms). There's nothing shady about that.

One way of doing this is with Splashtop or another utility that is capable of using hardware acceleration. Standard Windows RDP isn't really going to work.

For this, all you do is set up the utility on the PC you want running EQ, and then you remote into it from either another PC. Doing this, you can effectively "box" from the same computer, but there's quite a bit of performance loss. Once again, however, you end up having to alt-tab between game instances AND you cannot automate, so this is, in fact, a less effective way to box than if you just had a separate computer next to you. Alternately, you could also use a tablet to remote into the PC running EQ, but I don't see the advantage of doing that...

Please, let's try not to start some huge fear-mongering thread just out of a lack of technical knowledge. There are work-arounds to make boxing more "comfortable" but they are by no means against the spirit of the server. You still need one computer per account.

That said, I'm sure IT IS possible to defeat Daybreak's box controls... I tried (because I am a curious person), and while I am not the best IT person in the world, I poked at them long enough to realize that it is not going to be achieved easily or quickly, and even then, it's so fraught with risk of a ban that it's simply not worth it when there are options (such as explained above) that make it possible to box comfortably for the average person that only runs a couple characters.

Works for me.
  13. Rhiyannon Augur

logmein....
  14. Tulgin Augur

Doesn't that just add another window your PC that you need to tab to and manually cast spells? The beauty of IS Boxing is that you don't need to swap windows.
  15. Venthos Augur

Right, but that's Rhiyannon's point. At the expense of no automation, you can achieve "boxing on a single computer" by using traditional "remote desktop" style programs (built-in RDP, LogMeIn, TeamViewer, etc. etc) to provide the "alt tab" level of play, despite it being not as performant. Someone earlier in this thread was claiming this was being done with illegal 3rd party software like IS Boxer or using VMs (which auto-ban). Rhiyannon was simply reiterating how there's many options to circumvent it.

However, as I've been saying and others have been saying, even using something like RDP/LogMeIn/TeamViewer means that you are using software to send keystrokes to another machine and are not utilizing unique keyboards. This, in of itself, is technically against the True Box rules. It's currently unknown if the nature of replicating the screen to a single PC (not using unique displays) is against True Box rules, but it's certainly against the "spirit" of the True Box rule. Point being, there's no inherit way for DBG to detect something like a RDP/LogMeIn/TeamViewer setup like like can with whether EQ was spawned within a VM. That's why this is possible.
    Rhiyannon likes this.
  16. Vaclav Augur

I'm a linear "explainer/teacher" - it's a known thing - I'm an awful teacher as a result. Heh. This is known.

[Part of why I hate leading things and such - I'm a team builder not a team leader]

Clipped the details - that's what I was discussing - Logmein was the one I believe I was thinking of (although I'm too lazy to go through Google Play to verify ATM) - but you seem to have gotten the style I was talking about. And as I tried to say, it doesn't really "replace [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software]'s key cloning function".

Although I'd personally not refer to such as a VM - I have seen at least a few posters refer to those programs (which as stated, I'd call "broadcasting software" personally) as VMs, which maybe technically they are - not down with the nuance, but regardless they seem to have zero real functionality for the "bad elements" people worry of.

At the end of the day all those types seem to do is allow people more flexibility in location for use with a HUGE negative when it comes to control.

You apparently misread me if you thought I was fear-mongering - I was saying some stuff works, but any that I've seen has been ineffective. But with so many KVM/key-cloning solutions perhaps one slipped through - I've personally seen ZERO people that appear to be using KVM/key-cloning myself.

Basically the same thing I did during the test phases - and similar results. We're on a near identical page, just my choice of phrasing seemed to obfuscate my message apparently.
  17. Rhiyannon Augur

oh you can still automate with programs like logmein, it just requires a keyboard like my apex etc. it just wouldn't be as easy or pretty as the regular boxer programs. till recently I worked tech support for a major canuck telecommunications company, hence my familiarity with logmein. the point is, like venth said, just because you can, doesn't mean you should as it would still be against the rules... but it is possible. I could go into more details, but I wont add to it, because sure as hell some idiot would try it.
  18. Erissel New Member

Yeah, you can automate with a physical keyboard that offers such features, but they have specifically stated that you can only do so IF you are present at the computer.

I'm a systems engineer and therefore very familiar with the tools available for remoting into a computer, but I've never encountered one that offered great performance while doing so. Most are meant for technical support, which does not require hardware acceleration for most purposes. If you try to game (even an older game like EQ), you will quickly find out it's not very doable. This holds true for LogMeIn, as well as native windows RDP. The only tool that I've found that works well enough to be worth it is Splashtop, and even that wasn't so great.

Just to clear any confusion around this topic, THIS IS NOT what a VM is. A VM is, by definition, an emulated machine on top of another system. Running an application that allows you to remote into another does not mean you're using a VM. You're still natively running the application on the machine in which it's installed. As far as Phinigel is concerned, this is totally 100% legal because you are running one account per computer.
    Rhiyannon likes this.
  19. Sinestre Journeyman

LOL :) Reporting people "botting" really only works on Phinny unless people are being stupid obvious about it and even then it's a dice roll if they'll do anything. This is THE ONLY server where they actively look for the crap 3rd party softwares that pretty much make the other servers unplayable.

A friend of mine who plays on Xegony actually boxes without the unmentionables and always has. He finally got some free time (baby, job, wife, life - his guild only raids like 1 night a week to beat all the content) so he wanted to go mess around and kill a bit in one of the new TBM zones. His /who showed 46 people in zone, when he went to ask for a "CC?" he got no response after multiple times, he figures what the hell, I'll just go look and see whats up. Every single person in that zone was in a group being automated..every group. Explains why no one answered his CC.

I'd kill for a TLP server where you could play multiple clients on one PC (limit it to 3 or whatever idc) where DBG still actively policed for 3rd party programs like they do on Phinny. It would be amazing. I think the only thing that works here is ShowEQ, but that's just second hand knowledge so not sure.

TL;DR - Petitioning botters don't work, unless of course you're playing on the only server where DBG officials have an agreement with the writers of these 3rd party softwares to not make compiles for it - aka Phinny.
    Rhiyannon likes this.
  20. Rhiyannon Augur

erissel, like I said it wouldn't be pretty, but it can be done.