The state of monks causes a lot of problems for every other melee class in the game.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by WokeCat, May 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WokeCat Augur

So your evidence that OOW is the most popular expansion is by surveying a bunch of people who clearly enjoyed OOW and continued playing instead of surveying the millions who quit at/or around the time it launched?
  2. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

I actively post on my old server's forums and I would say 5 out of 50 or so people care about EQ at all at this point. Opinions vary, I play on Live with a couple of them. Some like P99, some like TLP's, some like both. Either way, my anecdotal evidence means nothing, just like yours.

But let me offer you some friendly forum advice. You are bringing most of these responses on yourself. Whatever it is that you think you are going to convince people of, you aren't going to convince them of. The facts were already out there, people knew them and were ok with them. And here you are pointing at them, jumping up and down like people would revolt if they only knew. But they know, and they don't care. All you are getting out of jumping up and down at this point is exercise.

I'm sure this is a great way to avoid boredom, sparring on the forums over nothing, but it got kinda stupid several pages ago. Monks are powerful, that may or may not ever change. It's not because it's isn't known by players or devs, it's not because people don't agree they are powerful. It's because people have gotten used to the situation, and for those that choose to play classes like the Rogue anyway, they don't mind the disparity as much as you think they do.
    Skuz likes this.
  3. Tweakfour17 Augur

I don't blame you for wanting to bail on aradune, but if in 4 months that server will have zero interest for you how is mischief going to give you years? It's expansion release cadence will get you to that same point even faster than any modern tlp server before it except Selo.
    Skuz and Niskin like this.
  4. WokeCat Augur

Very true. Players should never offer feedback about game balance. Thank you for this valuable insight.
  5. WokeCat Augur

I’m much more interested in the nostalgia of Classic, Kunark, and Velious than I am the impending rise of GoD. I promise you that. I’m also much more interested in random loot.
  6. Triconix Augur

Millions? EQ peak population was half a million. You need to stop at this point. Its just baseless rant after baseless rant.
    wade_watts and Skuz like this.
  7. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

You aren't going to find a lot of people that hate Omens of War, because it was a good expansion. You will find lots of people who hated Gates of Discord (the one before OoW) and Prophecy of Ro (a few expansions later). Or DoDH (between OoW and PoR) because of Monster Missions.

Some TLP players quit before Luclin, some quit before PoP, most of the rest who will quit do so after PoP/LDoN because here comes GoD. But even GoD has been fixed up quite a bit and isn't as bad as it used to be.

There will always be expansions people don't like, but it's not like all expansions after X are bad and never get better. I actually feel bad for people who didn't keep going and get to see House of Thule. Like Unrest? Imagine a whole expansion like that. So awesome.
    Triconix and Skuz like this.
  8. WokeCat Augur

And the most soldiers deployed to the Middle East at any given time was less than 250,000 and yet there are millions of veterans who served in the Middle East.
  9. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

They shouldn't misunderstand the point of clearly obvious posts, but here you are doing it. You aren't the only one capable of sarcasm.
    Skuz likes this.
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I didn't mean to directly imply that you did, but these forums have a long history of self-appointed experts on EQ from P99 showing up to tell everyone else how EQ should be.
  11. WokeCat Augur

P99 didn’t really prepare me for TLP.. it’s like comparing classic WoW to Shadowlands... I’m basically having to relearn everything, even my geography and zone knowledge didn’t transfer over because everything is completely different
  12. jiri_ Augur

I think you will find (or maybe have a hard time finding, anymore; they're gone) people who hated OoW. GOD was brutally hard in-era since it was intended to be a level cap expo then changed. Then OoW raised the level cap and was considered super easy, and a big segment of the raiding population drifted away because of that.

Regardless of the exact proportion who pay for Live versus TLP, I do think it'd be preferable for DPG to try to pluck any available low-hanging fruit, even if it's not a panacea for all balance problems. Empty fist ratios would seem to be one of those.
  13. wade_watts Augur

given that he's been here for 2 weeks and only loves p99, I wonder if he is aware of melee augments
  14. Triconix Augur

You'll find people who hate any expansion.

In hindsight and now playing through the balance and refinement of classes over the years, the sophistication of gameplay, especially from a raiding aspect, the development of many QoL features that got rid of or mitigated some of the the rudimentary '99 game, I don't really have any last love for expansions like Kunark. The art/design and lore of Kunark is good, but overall, compared to 99% of the game, Kunark gameplay and content is quite primitive.

People enjoy it now because it's super easy, doesn't require too much time dedication to see everything available, and doesn't require too much coordination with other people. They are in a setting they are familiar with after their 5th round of TLPs, playing literal gods compared to their '00 class counterparts and it requires even less skill than it did then (which was already not much considering I raided this stuff when i was 11).
  15. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Fair enough, I generally don't know what the raiders are or were thinking at any point because I've avoided raiding post-classic. Groupers though, loved OoW, at least as far as I've seen.

I'm actually not against that. I think there's a few in the thread that feel that way, but the tone of this thread has been that we must all demand this happen immediately, and admit that we were all a stupid for not throwing up our pitchforks over this long ago. So it's had much more argument and bologna than it needed.
  16. Aegir Augur

It was 14/28 at lv 60 and 9/16 with Epic. And back then, no one except Warriors had triple attack.

Monk Quest armor in Velious sucks, If you want to buff yourself up, you'd have to deck yourself out entirely with raid visibles from various encounters. Other classes have great quest armor.

Once you go past OoW (lv 70). Monk weapon droprates are so ridiciously low, that you end up banking up weeks and months of DKP to fire it all on single 1hander. It gets better in Veil of Alaris, once Raid Currency kicks in.

And this Feign Death discussion.... Lull spells used by other classes are a much faster way of pulling in classic, when that rare moment arises you'd actually have to split something.

Monks have a lot of stuff going for them in the early eras - but this thread also over-hypes them a bit.
  17. WokeCat Augur

I played a Human, so for me it was 14/26. And Monks got Triple Attack in Velious. That's why they have it on P99.
    [IMG]

[IMG]
    Source: https://wiki.project1999.com/Monk

I mean in a perfect world where your group has a Bard to pull this is awesome. Ya' know I've never had Clarity or KEI on Aradune yet? I've never had an Enchanter in my group. I have however had many Monks pull for our groups. I've also had a group wipe in Unrest after Lull failed on the undead barkeep and the entire room got aggro'd. Most groups outside of raids are not ideal. If they were I would roll around with 1 cleric and 5 enchanters for everything.

Either way Feign Death serves a lot more purpose than just split pulling. I'm pulling on my Monk and I accidentally aggro too many mobs? No big deal, just drop aggro and reset. I'm pulling on my Rogue and I accidentally aggro too many mobs, someone's going to die, and hopefully it ain't me.
  18. Tacc Aradune New Member

ITT: A bunch of monk mains downplaying how OP monks are
    WokeCat and KrakenReality like this.
  19. wade_watts Augur

ITT: A few P99 fallouts with 2 weeks experience on TLP's crying about their favorite class not being as powerful as some other class.
  20. WokeCat Augur

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.