The Battle for Rivervale

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Romulus, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Romulus New Member

Frustrating mission. I'm not sure we are doing it right.

If we kill mobs first we get swarmed and the mobs get stronger as we kill, making it near impossible to take down the catapults.

If we kill the catapults first, we get swarmed by mobs.

Even if we are careful to clear around the catapult first, we are still swarmed.

Any hints?
  2. Rainbowdash Augur

If you think this mission is bad, wait until Evantil: The Heart of the Oak, or (imo, worse) Queen's Decree.
  3. Tearsin Rain Augur

alright so there's either something i'm missing, or this mission currently can not be beat.

'sneak around' isn't even a thing in this mission. everything can see invis, and aggroing anything at all leads to an enormous overwhelming swarm within 30 seconds.

you can't kite, because if you do the goblins will cast a 32k DD on you.

so, what exactly is the method by which you're supposed to beat this mission? would like to hear from the person who designed it.

and what is the method people are using to actually beat it? and preferably in more detail than 'sneak around'.
  4. Hatsee Augur

Sneak around carefully?
  5. Tearsin Rain Augur

heh.
    fair enough, i suppose, i just don't get how 'sneaking' is supposed to negate the fact that you absolutely can not engage a catapault without aggroing 15-30 mobs, bare minimum.

also, the '5 minute respawn' that is supposedly in place for the enemy troops is 100% incorrect, respawn appears to be about 30 seconds or so.
  6. Gillette Lorekeeper

Before you talk to the halfling, you can wander around the entire zone and decide your strategy. (While they all con KoS, they are not active until the event starts). So take a moment to find the place you can kill catapults and tents with relative ease. Then scout around for a good spot to kill commanders. Also take a moment to figure out how you are going to get to both of those spots. You can even place your group where you want ahead of time except for the person that needs to trigger the event.

If you charge out into the middle of the fray, expect to be mowed down as you chain agro large portions of the zone. Stick to the walls/sides of the battlefield. In an ideal world bring a FD/fade puller so they can bring mobs to you or get rid of agro fast if they get a bad pull (or bad pathing).

This mission goes a lot better with a bit of preplanning.
  7. Falos Augur

The mobs dont assist the catapults, so you can risk free kill them by hugging walls and either pet attacking, nuking, or using archery / throwing to kill it.

Granted if you are relying on throwing dps it might take awhile but it's 100 percent safe.
  8. Tearsin Rain Augur

right, the non-kos thing and all that was pretty evident, as well as the need to plan.
    still got overwhelmed in exceedingly short order, however.
  9. roguerunner Augur

Just have someone kite the entire zone! It's chaotic and fun that way
  10. Tobynn Augur

Can destroy the structures at long range without agroing any unwanted mobs. Finding yourself a good spot to camp before triggering the event is key. Ideally you'll want a spot with tents & catapults/ballistae in close proximity so you don't have to roam the zone. I picked my spot, plopped down a campfire, triggered the event and ported back to the fire. The structures all respawn, can kill the same catapult 4x or the same tent 12x if you wish. Pathing in spots is simply horrific; at one point I had a train so large it was just a blur of mobs, and it began during a point in time when I wasn't killin anything. Something wandered close to me, and it then warped, and it brought a monsoon. Some mob types are corpse campers, so its probably a bad idea to set up shop at the zone-in. If the mega train hits and you wipe, you will never get back inside.

I 3box'd it effortlessly, although was a bit time consuming range killing the catapults/ballistae. I would like to go back with a real group of 6 and just charge into the fray alongside the halflings. The trash really don't hit hard at all -- with a stout SK tank to keep control spamming AE hate it would probably be super fun to have a bunch of mobs engaged at all times. Chaos ftw! :)
  11. CaptAmazing Augur

I know there are different preferences, but, this just sounds like a stupid mission. Can't have it be simple? Require some splitting, and kill stuff?

Kiting whole zones or doing long range damage with no feedback from mobs reeks of poor game design.
  12. Fenthen aka Rath

Send in a pet- check!
  13. Tobynn Augur

I don't think many large scale battles involve setting up a safe camp and pulling singles. The mission simulates a wartime battlefield swarming with combatants, and in that respect I think its excellent implementation.
  14. CaptAmazing Augur

This a EQ group mission. I've come expect a certain type of gameplay. I don't like the fact that you pull one mob and the whole zone comes crashing on your head.

Nor is a piece of artillery being destroyed not noteworthy by the other side. Excellent implementation would be "hey let's stop whoever is destroying our stuff".
  15. Tobynn Augur

Perhaps you should experience the mission before you set out to volley complaints about it, eh ?
  16. Astehroth Elder

With the curve balls that the devs like to put in more and more to these group missions I am avoiding them like the plague until good strats are posted. I got burnt with rubek last mission and wiped about 15 or 20 times before finally beating it, way to put me off doing group missions sony.
  17. Maereax Augur

This mission is the WORST in the expansion. Not from a design perspective(it's actually kinda fun, in theory), but from a players mentality. The only way I found to reliably beat this mission is to basically forget everything the previous 99 levels has taught you, and go back to the days of '5 minute zergling drone rush gg.'

Seriously. Get a good monk/bard, or tank, and have them click off invis, get the fastest movement they can and TRAIN everything around a catapult away. Then, the rest of the group burns down the catapult. Also, while you're at it, just stop worrying about death. Bind yourself in shards landing, run back when you die and do it over again. 96% rezzes recover enough exp that you'll be even with where you were before starting the quest, once you get the reward box. Once you get the catapults dead, you're golden. Have a monk, rogue, bard, or anyone decent at being sneaky (seriously, if you've been playing the game this long and don't know agro mechanics well enough to avoid agro, go back to headshotting in feerrott and leave the new stuff to those who do) run around and find tents they can solo without pulling agro.

Once tents and catapults are dead, just pull groups of mobs until you get the soldier updates. You don't want to pull the same groups, because they'll get stronger each time. Once you spawn the golems, just have someone invis-pull them (they''re not social with the mobs around them, only other golems) and enjoy your loot.
    BlankStare_001 likes this.
  18. Jazya Elder

So instead of new spells/AA we get mechanics that make half the group useless.

Awesome.
  19. Nylrem Augur

Just did this mission tonight. It really is dumb. Getting the catapaults/tents dead was fairly simple, using ranged tactics, as said.

However, the agro range combined with the lousy pathing is ridiculous on the trash. We attempted to pull bad guys up toward Thistlebrush, after our first wipe where we set up to kill tents/ballista. After about 3 wipes, good guys helping almost none at all, but getting 30-40 mobs if you agro just 1 commander, we finally managed to finish it, with several deaths from all, including the monk.

And then, to top it all off, the bad guys were camping all around Thistlebrush, the chest, and it was extremely difficult to even open the chest to finish the quest.

The story really is pretty cool, but the implementation is absolutely horrible.
  20. Noobieguy Augur

Did this for the first time on my alt, it was actually kinda fun... Ranger went around killing the tents / catapults, and the group started killing the trash. We did wipe twice, but learned not to pull the commanders from large grps without clearing a lot of stuff near it. Seemed like if you pull them from a huge grp, you are going to get that entire grp no matter what.
  21. Xirtket Augur

Evantil is actually really easy once you figure out the strat