The Battle for Rivervale

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Romulus, Dec 13, 2012.

1. gcubed Augur

Yes, I did ask that question. And your point is?
  2. Falos Augur

It is possible for mages to solo the entire first phase of the evantil 2 mission without a merc as long as they are patient as hell (it literally takes like 45 minutes to achieve)
  3. Nelson Lorekeeper

You put the limitations on the classes there yourself by asking what group could go through all of the missions.

You asked the question, gave a lot of restrictions, then were disappointed when the answer didn't name all of the playable classes.
  4. gcubed Augur

Let's see.

Restrictions I placed:
    1. Group made up of high-end single groupers (i.e., no raiders in group)
    2. Group capable of making it through group progression.

While I admit this is a lot of restrictions (if you are an ogre who, even if well educated, are known not to be able to count beyond one even using all their fingers and toes), this essentially means that the classes are not balanced in the group game, or little to no thought was put into the group game by SOE this expansion.

Look, the group listed could probably function with any plate tank and the two healers could probably be any combination of the three priests classes and get by. So it wouldn't be 10 classes that are left out in the cold. But we are still dealing with a situation where melee DPS and enchanters are being told to reroll. Even back in the days of the Holy Trinity, a place could be found for all classes.
  5. Nelson Lorekeeper

3. No substitutions.

Enchanters: Useful in CH 1 & 2, Evantil 2, EW 1 & 2 (Pretty much all of the difficult missions)
    Melee DPS: Useful when there's a tank. That has always been the case.

Class balancing is a completely different issue that I would probably agree with you on. But saying that other classes have been limited from completing all of the missions? Not true.
    You are going to have to mix and match classes that you have with what you need to finish certain objectives. Nothing has changed about that either.
  6. gcubed Augur

Lets take the following as a group (as an example):

Ranger
    Mage
    Shaman
    Sk
    Bard
    Cleric
    If you need to substitute the ranger with a necromancer or wizard, it is a different group. If it is a different group, then the original group cannot make it through progression. Of course no substituions, substitutions mean you are creating a new group. This sort of thing IS new. It HAS changed. Up until VoA a half way decently balanced group of knowledgable, well geared, well AA'd groupers could make it though progression. The only saving grace is that progression isn't required, but how long is that going to last?
  7. Filatal Augur

Actually, well played, I'm not sure I see a mission the group you just listed couldn't do. I've done Evil Tree with a mage, a wizard, and a necro. Necros are fine for the mission, as long as you can handle the adds for the longer amount of time it takes them to kill the Molars. And yes, you can "burn" the mobs in the campfires, but it isn't drag them across the campfire, its hold them there until they ignite. And the campfire jumps to the other side of the canyon. And the adds spawn across yet a different canyon and tend to warp to your defenseless fire caster. In short, I've found the campfires to not be worth it.

The bard would definitely be the shroud in the CH2 mission, have the shaman haste them.

GP2 would be fairly trivial for this group once they get used how/when things spawn. CH1, this group would have enough dps, which is really the only check there.

Not sure why EW1 is listed as a hard mission, EW2 would not be an issue for this group. Well, it might be an issue in the same way it is for most people, but eventually they could win.

Now, sub the mage for a wizard. Several progression missions in the expansion just closed to you. No 2nd tank/pet? Thanks for playing.