Test Update 08/08/223 - Patch Notes and Discussions

Discussion in 'Test Update Notes and Bug Roundup' started by EQ Dev, Aug 8, 2023.

1. Evilness Gnome warriors are the best warriors

Good news on the UI option. Whoever made that happen, let it be known that many gnomes will be punted in your honor.
  2. Brickhaus Augur

It's a sweet job if you can get people to praise you for a bypass to your earlier work.
    Hobs, Nenton, Dre. and 5 others like this.
  3. Soulbanshee Augur

Barton likes this.
  4. Stacked Apprentice

Ravanta Suffer likes this.
  5. Hekaton Augur

The AA dev hasn't been unthawed yet for the next expansion
    Hobs, Metanis, Sancus and 2 others like this.
  6. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

Hugs to the UI person!
    klanderso likes this.
  7. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Monks told me the pet was worthless. Phantom Fisticuffs shares the timer with Zlexak's Fang, which is much better. Unless in a rare instance Phantom Fisticuffs can tank a mob for a while, I think it should really just be removed.
  8. WFSBelaar Lorekeeper

The whole line needs scrapped, but they don't listen to monks. We've been saying the same since CotF I believe.
  9. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Take the zerker pets too, their dps is so bad I just stopped using them altogether except for when boxing group content. Waste of processing considering what they actually bring
  10. coltongrundy Augur

This is not accurate. DoTs that have a nuke component were applying credit for the full potential duration of the DoT, so Bane of Nife would always give credit for 8 ticks (maybe this is why you think there's a doubling in your example of doing 4 ticks) even if the mob was only alive long enough for it to last 1 tick it would still get credit for 8 ticks (not a doubling) and if it lasted the full duration they would get credit for 8 ticks (no doubling).

There has been extensive testing on this using dots with a nuke component, dots without a nuke component, tests where the dot lasts its full duration, tests where dots last 1 tick, tests where the dot should get credit for less than 50%, tests where the dot should get credit for just over 50%, tests where the dot would only do 10% but get credit for 50%.

One example test was with the beastlord Scorpion Venom spell that does 242 nuke damage, plus 8 instances of 324 tick damage, for 2,834 damage, vs a mob that has ~2500 HP. 1st character would melee the mob down to about 20% and have credit for doing around 2,000 damage. Then beastlord would cast Scorpion Venom 1 time, and 1 tick would kill the mob. 566 total damage done by the beastlord and the beastlord would get kill credit because the total potential damage of the DoT was about 800 more than what the 1st character did. A weird doubling credit would not make up that difference. Then repeated the same test using Druid dots that do not have a nuke component. Druid would not get full potential damage credit beacuse it didn't have a nuke component.

Also, did you guys forget that this was done on purpose so that DoT classes would have a chance to get kill credit vs Nuke classes? DoTs take way too long to do damage on short fights they have no chance to get credit over other classes that can instantly get full damage credit on their spells. This is a really bad change for shamans, necros, and beastlords.

A wizard can cast Ice Comet multiple times and get full credit for each cast before the mob dies. A shaman, necro, or beastlord, can only cast their poison dot 1 time, they cant stack it with itself, so before they would at least get full credit for the DoT to make up for that. Now DoTs are doubly disadvantaged because they can't cast it multiple times and they don't get credit for the full spell even though it certain drained their mana for the full spell.
  11. Brickhaus Augur

Did you consider that maybe this is the start of some pullback on dot classes? At some point, the developers are going to have to do something to rein in dot classes ... maybe they decided to start with the "bad bookkeeping" first?

There has to be some advantage for nukes vs dots in the game. Because at max level on Live, there certainly isn't much atm. IMO, you should be getting credit for the damage actually done for kill credit.
  12. coltongrundy Augur

No because this is mainly going to hurts DoT classes that are trying to farm weak low HP mobs, like Othmirs during Planes of Power to farm tailoring materials. If there's a beastlord and mage or wizard competing for it, the mage/wizard is going to win every single time now.

It doesn't make sense that a wizard casts 1 nuke using 203 mana, at the same time necro casts 1 dot using 409 mana, and the wizard just wins by default because the mob's HP pool is too small for the dot to last long enough.
  13. Brickhaus Augur

Why not?

On current Live, a necro is running around killing current named solo and a wizard, even on full burn, isn't coming close.

I think that's far more unfair/unbalanced that farming tradeskill materials during PoP in Velious zones.

We should not be balancing the game around farming tradeskill materials during PoP in Velious zones. Or any farming of old content period. If you picked a dot class, there have to be some negatives compared to direct damage.

Edit - If there is something wrong, like you pointed out in your first post, that should still get fixed/changed/whatever. But I think cleaning up the bookkeeping (which is what the devs seem to want to do now) is important as well.
  14. Meeko Developer(Code)

I can't speak for how things used to work, but can say that what I posted is accurate for how things work currently (soon to be previously) on Live. DoTs with and without a nuke component didn't differ in how much damage they credited.

Here are the raw logs from my tests with the GM output showing how much damage was credited when the NPC died.

These NPCs have 2,000 HP:
    Code:
    [Tue Aug 15 15:28:20 2023] You begin casting Bane of Nife.
    [Tue Aug 15 15:28:20 2023] You hit four_five00 for 61 points of poison damage by Bane of Nife.
    [Tue Aug 15 15:28:20 2023] Four_five00's veins have been filled with deadly poison.
    [Tue Aug 15 15:28:22 2023] Four five has taken 485 damage from your Bane of Nife.
    [Tue Aug 15 15:28:28 2023] Four five has taken 485 damage from your Bane of Nife.
    [Tue Aug 15 15:28:34 2023] Four five has taken 485 damage from your Bane of Nife.
    [Tue Aug 15 15:28:40 2023] Four five has taken 485 damage from your Bane of Nife.
    [Tue Aug 15 15:28:46 2023] Four five has taken 49 damage from your Bane of Nife.
    [Tue Aug 15 15:28:46 2023] [GM] Damage: 4911 total, 4911 creditor
    [Tue Aug 15 15:28:46 2023] You have slain four_five00!

[Tue Aug 15 15:29:13 2023] You begin casting Anathema.
    [Tue Aug 15 15:29:13 2023] four_five00 staggers under an ancient curse.
    [Tue Aug 15 15:29:17 2023] Four five has taken 565 damage from your Anathema.
    [Tue Aug 15 15:29:23 2023] Four five has taken 565 damage from your Anathema.
    [Tue Aug 15 15:29:29 2023] Four five has taken 565 damage from your Anathema.
    [Tue Aug 15 15:29:35 2023] Four five has taken 345 damage from your Anathema.
    [Tue Aug 15 15:29:35 2023] [GM] Damage: 4520 total, 4520 creditor
    [Tue Aug 15 15:29:35 2023] You have slain four_five00!
    These NPCs have 500 HP. The DoT's full duration of potential damage doesn't get credited even if only one tick lands. There's no difference in how damage is credited for a dot with a nuke component (Bane of Nife) and one without (Anathema).
    Code:
    [Tue Aug 15 15:31:31 2023] You begin casting Bane of Nife.
    [Tue Aug 15 15:31:31 2023] You hit four_five00 for 61 points of poison damage by Bane of Nife.
    [Tue Aug 15 15:31:31 2023] Four_five00's veins have been filled with deadly poison.
    [Tue Aug 15 15:31:34 2023] Four five has taken 449 damage from your Bane of Nife.
    [Tue Aug 15 15:31:34 2023] [GM] Damage: 1031 total, 1031 creditor
    [Tue Aug 15 15:31:34 2023] You have slain four_five00!

[Tue Aug 15 15:31:12 2023] You begin casting Anathema.
    [Tue Aug 15 15:31:12 2023] four_five00 staggers under an ancient curse.
    [Tue Aug 15 15:31:15 2023] Four five has taken 510 damage from your Anathema.
    [Tue Aug 15 15:31:15 2023] [GM] Damage: 1130 total, 1130 creditor
    [Tue Aug 15 15:31:15 2023] You have slain four_five00!

If you run tests after these changes go through and find that they're not working correctly I'd love to see the logs and know about it to fix any bugs that slipped through.
  15. Windance Augur

I think it makes perfect sense.

You should get credit for the damage you do. Not the damage you COULD do if the mob had 10x the hp.
  16. Drencrom Beimeith's Supervisor

Hey man if you're using covid coughs as your main weapon, and you see me blowing things up with dynamite, it's not my fault if you refuse to switch to dynamite.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.