TBM Post Release Survey is Out

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tarvas, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Battleaxe Augur

I can tell good from rehash with a new paint job. 95% of the games that appear on Top 25 games of 20XX lists are awful even given the low standards of console gamers.

Wizardry
    Ultima
    Net Hack
    Wing Commander
    Sun Dog
    Centipede
    Galaxian

All AAA titles - all worth playing 30 years after release. Latest DooM clone not so much.

And btw EQ is an entertainment bargain - fixed that for you.
  2. Tyraxor Augur

And so a warning from Lila rings in my head...but i just wanted to say one last thing.
    Battleaxe, you can make it much easier on yourself if you accept: the world evolves.

If you like only the original, you miss out on too many new & good things.
    We all would, movies would stop being made because obviously most ideas have been used by now.
    It's like that with everything.
    We all would prefer if quality standards would be high everywhere, but it wasn't like that 30 years ago and it's not like that now. All of the games on that list had their weak points as well.
    I don't even know you, but nobody should be stuck in the past like that forever.
    It can be a real tragedy, have seen it before and it's the reason why i prolly make a clown of myself and write all this. I don't want to argue with you, i would just like seeing that you wake up.
  3. Battleaxe Augur

Tyraxor and others with the same inclinations, you can likely make yourselves and others around you happier by resisting the urge to dump on an entertainment bargain you and others have been playing for up to 16 years.

Most of us recognize the vast majority of current movies and games are crap and that it takes a few years for the few real hits to stand out and other titles that were plumped up by marketing or looked OK at the time to return to obscurity. Remember Conan, LoTR, and the other EQ/WoW "killers"?

If you hate the food, don't go to the restaurant. If you hate the movie, leave - don't stand at the popcorn concession during an intermission saying, "This movie is awful. I'm only watching it because I like terrible movies." That particular ploy was old a loooong time ago. It doesn't make one look cool or sophisticated.

It would be nice if players would wake up and realize that they've been privileged to play a real classic with EQ. Classic enough that Project 1999 exits. Classic enough that it practically created a genre.

But they are too busy complaining that the new helmets don't have Faerune (they can't wear their old one until this is fixed?), calling EQ an expensive not entertaining rip off, and bragging up Fruit Video Game of the Month Club/Steam offerings no one will remember or admit they remember two years from now.
  4. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

Its about personal taste. Skyrim, Eve, WoW all held no appeal to me. I became quickly bored with Call of Duty and Fallout. I can jump into Elder Scroll III though and have a good time. I like the Command and Conquer universe too (at least until the mechanic change). /shrug.
  5. Iila Augur

If you want to see how far the circular logic and insanity of a markov bot will go, feel free to continue. If you're hoping to get any kind of reasonable response, then you should heed my warning.

Good luck finding a common theme in that list I mentioned. They have a wide range in genre, style, dev team size, budget, graphics, and release date. The reason I listed them is because they did what they were trying to do very well, in a way that made them fun to play. They all gave me a better return on fun for the money spent than an EQ sub would have, but I can't tell you what games will do the same for you.

There's not even any pure FPSes on my list, I don't know why those keep coming up regarding it.
    Silv, Zeiss and Imrahil like this.
  6. Battleaxe Augur

It's all about personal taste.

Star Trek, Eve, WoW - at least they are multi-player. Why would I want to play a shallow single-player game on a capable of so much more desktop?

And IF I wanted to play a single player game on a desktop why wouldn't I want to play a real AAA title either from the golden era of video games or in the style of that era? Centipede, Galaxian, Missle Command, Robotron 2084, Super Mario Bros. <- I don't own a PS3 or 4 or an XBox. I did however own a Nintendo. Nintendo had good games. Now I use an . Pretty popular those emulators. (All 3 of my sons use one too in order to play Nintendo games). Must be people like those games.

Single player sword and sorcery? Wizardry, Ultima, or Net Hack - if there was a single title I wanted to borrow ideas from when designing a D&D-style MMoRPG it's Net Hack.

Halo II, Soul Caliber, FF, Zelda, GTA, ... not so much. Only bought one of those and haven't played it it years. Never will again.

I guess it too demeaning (cool kids won't let on that they like old games even while they play one) to admit that one enjoys playing EQ, that despite a rough release (not the first rough release in SOE/DBG's history) TBM is pretty good, and (fact alert) EQ is an entertainment bargain. Shrug some people won't say "butter" even if they're on a butter forum with a mouth full of butter.
  7. Tyraxor Augur

I def. give up, lol.
    Net Hack...i had to look up what that is / was.
    Proudly presents...
    [IMG]

Pictures say more than 1000 words, anyway.
  8. Imrahil Augur

Just accept that the best movies were made in the fifties and sixties, since then it's all a rehash *nod.

Avengers = NANANANA BATMAN, Django unchained = High Noon and LOTR = Cinderella mixed with Ivanhoe.

There you go, none of those appeal to Battleaxe-
    Iila likes this.
  9. Battleaxe Augur

You ought to play Net Hack. (Sometimes a picture isn't worth 1000 words.)

I go to the movies about once every two years. I pay for Netflix but there's not much worthwhile on it.

The best music was from the late 60's until the early 70's (many people born then or even later agree) with Alternative Rock a revival. Interestingly the Golden Age of Video Games was ~1978-1983.

The first EQ is dying and this expansion is awful threads were written in 2000. They've been popular every year since then.
  10. Tyraxor Augur

btw i hope you tried Ultima 7, even if it's "just" a sequel.
    The first really living world put on PC, prolly the best sp game ever if i consider the time & possibilities and it's influence.
  11. Battleaxe Augur

I lost interest in single player games. IMO multi-player makes for a richer gameplay experience.

Well TBH I treat them like snack food. As a result Nintendo classics make my list.
  12. Naugrin Augur

For great single player rpg games I have to add Baldur's Gate 2 and Planescape: Torment.
  13. Faana Augur

I learned about Nethack from Rob Balder's song about it.
    Battleaxe likes this.
  14. Dre. Altoholic

Eew. Cooties.
  15. Agrippa Augur

TLP server question needs the option: Only playing there because DBG isn't supporting the live servers anymore.
    Tarvas, Xeladom and Dre. like this.
  16. Styles Journeyman

I totally agree with you there are better games out there, that cost less money all which could be had on Steam, GoG, GMG, etc..

The problem is "most" of the player base is addicted to EQ or just won't even bother to try out a new game past a few days, even though the games can be quite immersive and fun if you actually give them a good try. You can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Another issue is most of the player base is so used to autoattack combat, you give them any game that doesn't involve autoattack combat and actually involves careful thought process on reacting like MOBAs such as DOTA2, they don't have the brain power to handle games like that, or any strategy game for that matter. The non-WoW clones that are good don't have autoattack combat so that leaves nothign for hardcore eq addicts to even bother trying.

People are just stuck in their ways and refuse to actually give a new game a try even if its more entertaining, and playing it past a few days before giving up.

The latest games I've been enjoying are Witcher 3 and Fallout 4, more content and fun then EQ.
    Iila likes this.
  17. Agrippa Augur

I have almost 90 games in my Steam Collection, but I wouldn't really compare any of them to Everquest (or probably any MMO for that matter). Just taking a quick look at the Witcher 3, I can see that I'll probably get close to 170 hours out of that one (I tend to play most games completionist style). I've spent less than a week back on Firiona Vie, but I expect that I'll get considerably more hours out of TBM group content alone. It'd be interesting to see average hours spent beating the group content for each expansion in Everquest. I'd bet most would have taken a lot longer than almost any single player games.

http://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=10270

My main gripe with TBM was that my credit card was charged for a mostly unfinished product.
  18. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

I tried Fallout 4. It was about as immersive and fun as a can of ravioli.
  19. Tyraxor Augur

You cannot compare Eq to sp games anyway...one is fast food and the other is an addiction.
    Ppl will pay whatever to feed that addiction, which is mostly happening on a social interaction base.
    That is the sole reason why stuff like TBM sells for $40 (or more for the collection crap) per account, it has nothing to do with what's actually offered in that package.
  20. Agrippa Augur

I have a bad case of restartitis (or altitis) in most games. I started playing Everquest at release, but didn't reach max level with any character until SoD. I ended up playing almost exclusively on Firiona Vie server when it opened (it has the closest ruleset to classic era) and was limited with one character there for most of that server's lifespan. I ended up rerolling my monk three times, never reaching max level or max aa, and always opting for different builds. Kind of funny, because at max level and max aa there is nothing different, outside of appearance, from any characters from a given class.

Today, I'm working TBM slower than I have any expansion since SoD. I'm also working on the Witcher series and have over 200 put into the first game and I have yet to make it make it to Chapter Three there. As far as TBM goes, though, I know that it's small, but I still expect to get more hours out of beating the group content on three sets of characters with my wife's than I would from any single player game. We have about eight hours invested so far just camping a named in CoD that we need two augs from (stingy bastard). Figure all of our characters are going to need a few augs, plus doing all of the progression, hunting for shinies, working hunter, and actually completing the group content for three sets of characters. I expect that we'll be pretty busy for a few months at least.