Tabbed Chat FAQ

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Ssdar, Mar 13, 2019.

1. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

I thought about doing this manually, with another separate (open sourced) program. Basically a log parser like GINA or Gamparse, with an overlay(s) that would display only the lines you wanted to see based on the same Regex we use for those apps. You could set up the overlay in your UI in place of a chat window.

I, for one, would love to discard all food chat from the Other category :)

I think the devs have made it pretty clear that they are limited by the 32-bit client, so we probably shouldn't expect much more than we're already getting.

But I do wish we could set a log interval of less than 1, even like 0.5 seconds. 1 second is an eternity of built-in lag for log parsers, but disabling the log interval altogether absolutely kills performance.
    Ssdar likes this.
  2. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Probably right about the 32bit client. Though I've never had any performance issues with /logint 0. m.2 SSD in my laptop might have something to do with that. :)
  3. Ssdar Augur

You can send them all to a single tab in your main chat window by turning "Use Tell Windows off" in the options (Gotwar posted a picture highlighting this a few posts above), but unfortunately there is no way to make a tab open for each individual person as a tab in an existing chat window at this time. Would definitely be a nice feature though!
  4. Zanarnar Augur

MM that ... ya I don't like that. I run EQ in 1440P and have a perfect chat layout with multiple windows sized and filtered just like I want. Its a setup I've been using for years now and I'm bummed they don't include an option to use the traditional chat windows.

I can understand the WHY (people running in lower resolutions without so much screen realestate) but to make it mandatory seems a bit much. Oh well, not finding much reason to login lately, guess I'll just keep an eye on patch notes until such a time as this is optional. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the FAQ!
  5. Ssdar Augur

Yeah, they're not everyone's cup of tea, but unfortunately they are the only working chat windows for the moment at least. By popular request I did make a modified workaround so that they look pretty much as they did before the patch. Only function issue is if you use tell windows: Titlebarless Chat.

Happy to help with the FAQ! I realize this is a stressful change for the EQ community and just trying to work with people so that everyone can get back to playing. My goal is to keep people logging in as I do love EQ and the last thing a 20 year old game needs is people walking away over a change intended to be a quality-of-life improvement, but many disapprove of.
    Zanarnar and Dythan like this.
  6. Forcallen Augur

As long as they add a way to turn off everything changed its fine for everyone. Currently there is no way to remove the tabs so its just wasted space for many and "highlight new messages" turns back on every time you zone in.

Going forward this should always occur, having a completely turn off option. Figured they learned this with /advloot which most times is great and other times not so much.
    Ssdar likes this.
  7. Febb Augur

They rushed it out as a 20th anniversary gift. I'm sure they'll work on it some more.
    Ssdar likes this.
  8. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

This is great and thank you.

Unfortunately, this does not resolve my issue of needing most chat windows without a titlebar but needing one with a titlebar so it can be minimized.

We need Daybreak to give us the option per window to show/hide titlebars. As well as show/hide the box where you type, because if you only use one window to type in, all the others are wasted space (and there is very little space to spare in the UI, unless you own a 50" monitor).
    Xanathol, NameAlreadyInUse and Ssdar like this.
  9. Ssdar Augur

Oops! meant to link the other one: Tabless Chat

I do agree though, on/off options for, titlebars, tabs, and input fields for all chat windows would be an awesome new feature!

Edit: Titlebars on/off in game instead of on the xml side on ALL windows would be even better!
  10. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Yes, I meant in-game by right clicking the chat windows.
  11. Ssdar Augur

/nod my edit was saying making it an option for every UI element, not just chat windows.
    Fanra likes this.
  12. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Question!

Can I make changes in the client file so I don't have to go into options on every single char and turn off tell windows and flashing?
  13. Ssdar Augur

Unfortunately, no. Tell window options are on a per-character basis and stored in the UI_Character_server file:
    [Main]
    UISkin=AYATBL
    AtlasSkin=Default
    MapSkin=Good's Maps
    UseTellWindows=0

On a character that has not disabled them, the UseTellWindows=0 won't be there at all, as it looks like it was not stored in that file before the patch In fact looking through my unpatched beta directory I can't find where it was stored previously at all. On the upside this means that unless it is moved again, it should remain toggled off permanently for all characters in the future after toggling it off once, but you will have to do it once for every character.

Blink Active Chat Window, however is stored in the client file so once turned off, should be set for all characters unless you use third party software to separate eqclient files for different accounts.

Highlight New Messages is the really hard one to turn off since that is based off of individual chat frames so must be done for each chat tab and that tab must be selected to turn it off.

Using the in game copy layout button will not copy either the Use Tell Windows setting or Highlight new messages.

My best suggestion for not having to repeat the process for multiple characters is if you have a general layout you like for multiple characters:
    1. Set up one character how you like it
    2. Log out all characters
    3. BACK UP all UI_Character_Server files to another safe directory
    4. Copy your UI_Character_Server for the character with the UI you're happy with
    5. Paste and rename the copies for all your other characters
    6. Log in your other characters and make any modifications in game to get the other characters tuned how you want them based on class.

Note: this method will filter your chat to the windows they are set to on the character you copied from as well as the /autojoin channels so be prepared to adjust these as well.
  14. Febb Augur

You can load up all your character files in a text editor like Editplus and do a search and replace on all files to change UseTellWindows=1 to UseTellWindows=0.
  15. Ssdar Augur

This won't work. Unless you have already changed the "Use Tell Windows" setting on that character, the line doesn't even appear in the file. It only writes it to the file on a state change.
  16. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

You should be able to add it, if it's missing?
  17. Ssdar Augur

Yep! you can add in UseTellWindows=0 under the [Main] header, just search and replace won't work since there would be nothing to search for.
    NameAlreadyInUse likes this.
  18. xxGriff Augur

is there a means to use tint and not texture in the actual windows? if so, I am unable to find. Tint only changes the boarder/header.
  19. Ssdar Augur

Tint chooses the color if you have texture turned off. They are part of the same function.
    Are you using the UI on the test server? this was changed by default from test to live.

In the EQUI_ChatWindow file near the end under the <Screen item="ChatWindow"> header, change:
    <Style_Transparent>false</Style_Transparent>
    to
    <Style_Transparent>true</Style_Transparent>

or just patch live and use the file from there.
    xxGriff likes this.
  20. Stewy Journeyman

Here's a thought....how about you admit defeat and remove the TABS since they are almost universally hated?
    Xanathol likes this.