Tabbed Chat FAQ

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Ssdar, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Ssdar Augur

With the update to the chat window, I've seen a lot of questions in the forums and in game, here are the answers to a few of those.

Q: What are tabs?
    A: Tabs in the new chat window allow you to put multiple chat frames in a single window, allowing you to reduce the number of visible windows on your UI.

Q: Why are there two headers to my chat windows?
    A: One is the titlebar for the window, the other is the title of the chat frame tab within that window.

Q: I don't like that, is there anything I can do?
    A: Yes, many custom UI authors have updated their interfaces to remove the titlebar so you only see the tab headers. There are a couple UI mods that work with the default UI as well:
    Titlebarless Chat
    Tabbed Chat Window

Q: Why do my tells keep popping up in a window even though I had previously filtered all tells to a single window?
    A: With the 3/13 patch they enabled Tell windows by default. To change this back, open your options window (alt+O by default) and deselect "Use Tell Windows" about halfway down the checkboxes on the left side.

Q: Why is my chat window blinking when I start to type something?
    A: This was a feature added with the 3/13 patch. It can also be disabled in the options window by unchecking "Blink Active Chat Window" on the bottom right. You may need to scroll the window down to see this option.

Q: Can I make a tab stop blinking/highlighting when it is in the background and new information is added to that tab?
    A: Yes! Select that tab, right click on it, and deselect "Highlight New Messages". This is set on a per-tab basis, so it will need to be done for any tabs you don't want to exhibit that behavior.

Q: I don't like these tabs, is there any way I can disable them?
    A: Unfortunately, no. Currently there is no option to disable chat tabs.

If anyone has any other constructive questions, I'd be happy to answer as best I can! However, please keep this thread productive. There are plenty of other posts in which to express your dislike for the new chat windows.
  2. Jondalar Augur

I did not have tell windows enabled by default after this patch. Also not seeing any blinking of any kind.
  3. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Where is the UI addon that removes the tab bar instead of the title bar
    Chatoyan and Evrard like this.
  4. Nudia Augur

Plz...
  5. svann Augur

You can sort of disable chat tabs by right clicking the tab then select detach tab. It will then be a separate window just like (almost like) before.
  6. Evrard New Member

I would like this as well. This wastes so much screen space I'm surprised it didn't arrive 19 days from when it did.
  7. Axxius Augur

Pre-patch chat window xml file should still work, no?
  8. Nudia Augur

No. They also added EQUI_ChatContainerWindow.xml.
  9. Ssdar Augur

Ok, since you all asked so nicely!
    Tabless Chat
    Tarvas, Atvar, Axxius and 2 others like this.
  10. Atvar Augur

What did you do to get rid of tabs, make them soo small that it's basically non existant? Or something else?
  11. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

I set the following to "false" in the EQUI_ChatContainerWindow.xml file to remove the Title Bar and borders:
    Code:
            <Style_Titlebar>false</Style_Titlebar>
            <Style_Border>false</Style_Border>
    Works great, except now I can't move or resize my chat windows. Is there a workaround for this, or do we have to manually add the title bar back any time we want to move or resize a chat window?
  12. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Is there any way to turn off a tab turning red when there is something new there? I'd rather they stay yellow...
  13. Nudia Augur

I love you and I hope this isn't too forward, but I'd have your children if you asked.
  14. Atvar Augur

Definately appropriate if it removes the !#%!@#% tabs.
    Nudia likes this.
  15. Nudia Augur

It do and he's mine, back off.
  16. Leigo You come here often?

mine works in a similar way, tho you can move tabs by resizing them: Here
  17. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

And to confirm: yours still has borders enabled? I don't seem to get the resize arrows either, unless I enable the borders.
  18. Ssdar Augur

I basically made the tabs themselves bigger so that everything except the Output and Input fields were outside the visible window.
    If you remove the border, there isn't a way to resize the chat window since there is no edge to "grab". There is a workaround for making them movable but it involves adding a few lines of code. All of these changes are already in the Titlebarless Chat UI mod.
    Yep! select the tab, right click on it, and deselect "Highlight New Messages". This setting is for each individual tab, so must be done for any tab you don't want to turn red when anything new is in that tab.

It has also been brought to my attention that the cursor files included in both Titlebarless Chat and Tabless Chat may not be needed. When I was creating Titlebarless on the test server it kept displaying my windows cursor instead of the EQ default so I added in the cursor files to force it to use EQ's, but some are saying that they should work without. Those files are pulled straight from the default folder so can be deleted if you don't want them. Only EQUI_ChatWindow and EQUI_ChatContainerWindow are customized.
  19. Leigo You come here often?

I see what the problem was, after looking at Ssdar's I was able to get the fix. should work just fine now
    getlostgreg likes this.
  20. Smokezz The Bane Crew

That only stops them from blinking red annoyingly. They still turn red no matter what.