Suggestion: Revamped PoP flagging

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Iven, Dec 22, 2023.

1. Iven the Lunatic

75. Revamped PoP flagging

The Planes of Power flagging process is very complicated and it is hard to keep track on the progress with all those preflags and intermediate flags. The player has to visit three different NPCs in PoK (Seer, Gram, Maelin) to get the flags sorted properly and to receive cryptic hints about the progression.

The few side quests for the lower tiers are not helpfull at all and only make things more complicated. They do also not seem to award the right flags that are needed to get access to Xegony which is needed for the Artisan's Wares quest.

Here my ideas on how to improve the flagging process and how the player can keep better track on the record:

1. Flagging progress overview
    Add all flags (pre, intermediate, final) as achievements in the right step-by-step order with detailed hints on how to achieve them.

2. Pre-flags
    Make pre-flags, which is only talking to some NPCs in PoT, optionally, so that they are not required for the process anymore, and do not grant achievement points. They will just show up as optional achievements.

3. Despawn timer on Planar Projections
    After each zone boss is killed, a Planar Projection (elemental) does spawn that can be hailed to receive a progression flag. The number of flags on them are limited which is not a big problem. However it is a big problem that they do despawn in just 10-15 minutes. Deaths, rezzes, disconnects, logging alts, etc. That duration should be extended to 20-30 minutes !

4. Flag clickies
    Additionally, each zone boss (Grummus, Bertoxxulous, etc.) should drop 6 clickable HEIRLOOM flag items that can be shared with alts to make the flagging process easier for them. These clickies would have a level requirement that is identical with the PC zone access level, like 60 for the elemental planes. They would have endless charges and a right-click on them would grant the PC the same flag as from hailing the Planar Projection. That would also make the raid lotto on TLP servers more interesting.
    rahzel44 and Vumad like this.
  2. Brontus EQ Player Activist

Good ideas!

My suggestion is to have flags account wide once they are achieved. I'd like to see this applied to every keyed zone such as Sebilis, Howling Stones, Veeshan's Peak, Sleeper's Tomb, Vex Thall, etc.
    Vumad and Iven like this.
  3. Febb Augur

They added PoP achievements on beta, we haven't seen them on live yet because I'm sure they are still working on them.
    Angahran, Iven and Sissruukk like this.
  4. Sissruukk Rogue One

I don't think this will happen. With the introduction of the APs there really isn't a "need" anymore to create alts on the same account (except TS mules) from their perspective. Your AP is your alt.
  5. Iven the Lunatic

There are still millions of alts out there and players do continue to create more.
    Fanra likes this.
  6. Velisaris_MS Augur

That may be the worst argument I've heard yet in defense of personas.
  7. Beimeith Lord of the Game

In the correct order:

: Milyk's Sickness
    Component: Adler Fuirstel wishes you to obtain the Ward from the Plane of Disease and take it to his ill brother Milyk
    Completed: Said "Ward" to Adler Fuirstel
    Component: Grummus has been destroyed, about his corpse you found a small ward to protect from disease
    Completed: Killed Grummus and hailed the Planar Projection
    Component: Milyk has been saved from certain death, but is not recovering. Only by destroying the ruler of all things pestilent will his curse be lifted
    Completed: Hailed Elder Fuirstel after slaying Grummus
    Component: (Optional) Obtained the key to the lower depths of Lxanvom
    Completed: Hailed Tarkhil Adan (Carprin Cycle)
    Component: Bertoxxulous has been slain. The curse from Milyk has been lifted
    Completed: Hailed Planar Projection after slaying Bertoxxulous
    Component: Saved from certain doom, Milyk and Adler are forever in your debt
    Completed: Hailed Elder Fuirstel after slaying Bertoxxulous

: Thelin's Nightmare
    Component: Thelin being tormented by the imagery of Terris Thule needs assistance escaping from the Plane of Nightmares
    Completed: Said "Tortured by Nightmares" to Adroha Jezith
    Component: Thelin has completed his pact with Terris Thule, but has been refused. The only way to escape his torment now is to destroy Terris Thule
    Completed: Hail Thelin Poxbourne (in the Hedge Maze) after completing the Hedge Maze
    Component: Terris Thule's grasp over Thelin has been released
    Completed: Hailed the Planar Projection after slaying Terris-Thule
    Component: Saved from a world of eternal nightmares, Thelin is forever in your debt
    Completed: Hailed Elder Poxbourne after slaying Terris-Thule

: Tylis' Agony
    Component: Saved from certain doom, Milyk and Adler are forever in your debt
    Completed: Completed Milyk's Sickness
    Component: Saved from a world of eternal nightmares, Thelin is forever in your debt
    Completed: Completed Thelin's Nightmare
    Component: Tylis is being tortured by Saryrn. The only way for him to get away from his misery is to escape from the Plane of Torment
    Completed: Said "I will go" to Fahlia Shadyglade
    Component: (Optional) Obtained the Screaming Sphere, the key to Saryrn's Chambers
    Completed: Create the Screaming Sphere
    Component: Tylis has been removed from his agony
    Completed: Hail Tylis Newleaf (in Torment) after slaying the Keeper of Sorrows)
    Component: Saryrn been destroyed. An aura surrounds the mystical symbols that have appeared on your arm
    Completed: Hailed the Planar Projection after slaying Saryrn

: Mavuin's Innocence
    Component: The evidence of Mavuin is the only thing that can save him now
    Completed: Said "Information" to Mavuin
    Component: Having endured the trials, the Tribunal has agreed to reconsider Mavuin's case
    Component: Said "Mavuin" to the Tribunal after completing a trial
    omponent: Mavuin is grateful to you for taking his case before the Tribunal. The information provided to you, that Mithaniel Marr and Karana carry information you should seek could be quite useful
    Component: Hailed Mavuin after completing a trial

: Askr's Aid
    Component: Mavuin is grateful to you for taking his case before the Tribunal. The information provided to you, that Mithaniel Marr and Karana carry information you should seek could be quite useful
    Completed: Completed Mavuin's Innocence
    Component: You have shown your prowess in battle to Askr, now you must make strides to get to the Bastion of Thunder
    Completed: Gave Askr Askr's Sealed Bag of Verity
    Component: You have obtained the Talisman of Thunderous Foyer from Askr. He seeks further assistance in the Bastion of Thunder
    Completed: Gave Askr Esoteric Meld
    Component: (Optional) Obtained the Enchanted Ring of Torden
    Completed: Created Enchanted Ring of Torden
    Component: (Optional) Obtained the Symbol of Torden
    Completed: Created Symbol of Torden
    Component: The information obtained from Karana is written in a language that you cannot comprehend
    Completed: Said "I will follow the path of the fallen" to Karana after slaying Agnarr

: Marr's Honor
    Component: Mavuin is grateful to you for taking his case before the Tribunal. The information provided to you, that Mithaniel Marr and Karana carry information you should seek could be quite useful
    Completed: Completed Mavuin's Innocence
    Component: (Optional) Obtained the Crystalline Globe, the key to Aerin`Dar's Lair
    Completed: Create the Crystalline Globe
    Component: You have bested Aerin`Dar and proven yourself honorable enough to pass into Mithaniel's Halls.
    Completed: Hailed the Planar Projection after slaying Aerin`Dar
    Component: You have completed all of Honor's Trials
    Component: You have beaten Rydda`Dar in the first of Honor's trials
    Completed: Defeat first trial
    Component: You have saved the villagers in the second of Honor's Trials
    Completed: Defeat second trial
    Component: You have defeated the nomads in the third of Honor's trials
    Compelted: Defeat third trial
    Component: The Cipher of the Divine Language appears on your arms for a brief moment then fades
    Completed: Hailed the Planar Projection after slaying Mithanial Marr

: The Cipher of the Divine Language
    Component: Saryrn been destroyed. An aura surrounds the mystical symbols that have appeared on your arm
    Completed: Tylis' Agony
    Completed: Mavuin's Innocence
    Component: The information obtained from Karana is written in a language that you cannot comprehend
    Completed: Askr's Aid
    Component: The Cipher of the Divine Language appears on your arms for a brief moment then fades
    Completed: Marr's Honor

: Giwin's Machine
    Component: (Optional) You remember Nitram's words - 'three small turns to the right on the bottommost rivet should open the door'
    Completed: Hailed Nitram Anizok after slaying Xanamech Nezmirthafen
    Component: <Not sure the correct text here, Alla doesn't have it>
    Completed: Said "I will test the machine" to Giwin Mirakon
    Component: Giwin would like you to find him in Drunder so he can present you to Rallos Zek
    Completed: Hailed Giwin Mirakon after slaying Manaetic Behemoth

: Rallos' Plot
    Component: Giwin would like you to find him in Drunder so he can present you to Rallos Zek
    Completed: Hailed Giwin Mirakon after slaying Manaetic Behemoth
    Completed: Hailed the Planar Projection after slaying Tallon Zek
    Completed: Hailed the Planar Projection after slaying Vallon Zek
    Component: The words of Maelin echo in your mind, 'The Zeks and Solusek are planning an invasion in Norrath, find out more from Rallos if you can.'
    Completed: Said "I have information" to Grand Librarian Maelin after defeating the Zek Brothers
    Component: Your heart beat speeds as you recall the Warlord's flaming axe, behind the dark sockets of his helm you sense darker intentions.
    Completed: Hailed the Planar Projection after slaying Rallos Zek

: Zebuxoruk's Fate
    Component: The Cipher of the Divine Language
    Completed: The Cipher of the Divine Language
    Component: The History translated for you reveals the fate of Zebuxoruk. Trapped in the Plane of Time you must gain the power of the elements to gain entrance
    Completed: Said "New Lore" to Grand Librarian Maelin
    Component: Rallos' Plot
    Completed: Rallos' Plot
    Component: Learning of Zebuxoruk's fate, the only way to save him is gather materials that will allow you to power up the machine to send you into the Plane of Time.
    Completed: Said "I have new information" to Grand Librarian Maelin

: The True Route
    Component: The portal into the Plane of Fire has been altered. Miak needs you to find the correct way to channel the portal
    Completed: Hailed Miak the Seared Soul
    Component: Arlyxir's wealth of knowledge flows through your mind
    Completed: Kill Arlyxir and click the brazier
    Component: Jiva's strength fills your body
    Completed: Kill Jiva and click the brazier
    Component: The power of Dresolik surges through you
    Completed: Kill Dresolik and click the brazier
    Component: Xuzl's arcane wisdom pulses in your mind
    Completed: Kill Xuzl and click the brazier
    Component: Rizlona's song slips through your thoughts
    Completed: Kill Rizlona and click the brazier
    Component: The true route to the Plane of Fire is now clear in your mind
    Completed: Hailed the Planar Projection after slaying Solusek Ro

: The Plane of Time
    Component: Zebuxoruk's Fate
    Completed: Zebuxoruk's Fate
    Component: The Quintessence of the Elements
    Completed: Create the Quintessence of the Elements
    Component: Your soul has formed a bond with the Plane of Time.
    Completed: Activated Meldrath's time machine
    Nennius and Yinla like this.
  8. Tatanka Joe Schmo

While the suggestion isn't a bad one, I'd rather see development go to something NEW. Especially when there are fan websites already devoted to helping with this, along with NPC(s) in PoK who give (admittedly cryptic) clues as to where you are in the process. However, one of the said fan websites will take that NPCs output and tell you exactly where you stand.

http://www.bonzz.com/planprog.htm#1
    http://everquest.fanra.info/wiki/The_Planes_of_Power_flagging_guide
    http://www.alkabor.com/flags.html
    Paladin and Straahdx like this.
  9. Velisaris_MS Augur

I bet if enough TLP players griped about this and threatened to stop subbing every time a new progression server came out unless they made the change, it would be changed.
  10. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Better idea lets just get rid of all the silly PoP flagging. I got a mage parked in PoI so im happy.
    Joules_Bianchi likes this.
  11. Nennius Curmudgeon

Sort of a modern day EQ given there.
    Velisaris_MS likes this.
  12. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Then you would get just as many complaining that they changed it.

I see PoP flagging as a series of quests, that can be done in any order. If they changed the quests for this players would want many other quests that have you running all over to complete them changed as well. Then where would it stop?

At this stage of the game I think players have done PoP flagging so many times now they know how PoP works and could do it standing on their heads backwards. If not they know someone who does know or know which sites have the write ups for it.

Lets hope if the achievements that were on beta go live that you still need to do the hails and that the achievements understand the Seer in Plane of Knowledge.
    Paladin likes this.
  13. Velisaris_MS Augur

From the screenshots I've seen, the only thing that would change is that you'd actually have some sort of visual record of what you have, and haven't, finished in the progression. I don't see how that could be a bad thing for anyone.
    Vumad, Joules_Bianchi and Iven like this.
  14. Tatanka Joe Schmo

It isn't a bad thing. But it's what you can already get by pasting your Seer text into that one web page.
    Paladin likes this.
  15. Velisaris_MS Augur

But wouldn't it make more sense to just already have that in game rather than having to go to a 3rd party website to do the thing that Daybreak clearly has the code (or at least most of it) to do?

I don't understand why people are so set against having something in game that doesn't give anyone an advantage but just makes the EQ experience more enjoyable.
    Vumad likes this.
  16. Cicelee Augur

I would much rather have developers work on new content than worry about a flagging system from 20 years ago.

Yes it could be better. Yes it is cumbersome. Yes thousands of players since 2002 have done the flagging, issues and all. It is not broken or missing content, it is just nuisance content. And I would rather have nuisance content that is still content that can be achieved than missing out on content for future expansions...
  17. Tatanka Joe Schmo

It would be very nice.

People aren't "against" anything.

The issue is basically this: There are two types of EQ forum warriors, when it comes to proposed changes.

1 - Those who look at the proposed change in a vacuum, looking at it on it's own merits and nothing else.

2 - Those who look at proposed changes always with an eye to "with the VERY limited dev resources we have, would this change come ANYWHERE near the top of the list I'd like to see them work on?"

The fact that there are tools or techniques or habits which could make said change not that impactful also tends to affect said perceived ranking.

It seems even when group 2 specifically states they like the idea, but not the need to prioritize it at all, it still comes across to group 1 that group 2 is "against the idea".

Another interesting point (to me, at least ;) ) is that we're always being told "MMOs are a social game. Don't solo, don't box, work with others, that's how it's supposed to be played". Well, one of those aspects is sharing information. I haven't grouped with anyone in EQ in years, but I try to post helpful information on here and at ZAM and other places. Even chime in on General when there's a question which I know the answer to. Let's not forget, that's part of the social aspect of the game.

So, whenever somebody posts a feature request on here, and somebody shares an easy workaround or way to accomplish it a different way, don't pooh-pooh that as "they hate my idea". It's not that at all. We just may not think it's a high priority to work on. Not to mention, even if we all agreed, the chances of it actually getting implemented is pretty small, and may takes years. Better people should know the workaround or other way to get to the same result, in the meantime.
    Iven and Nennius like this.
  18. Sissruukk Rogue One

It was meant to be the worst argument. I guess I should have added a *sarcasm tag.
  19. Iven the Lunatic

The seer does just output cryptic riddles and no visual and clear overview of what has been achieved and which steps are missing in what order. It is an obsolete roleplay relic that wanted to avoid a technical QoL solution. And from what I had red in many flagging guides, it is also bugged. Those guides are also a proof that the feature got not implemented properly into the game, else no one would need external guides, and there are many of them, and each one is different.
    Joules_Bianchi likes this.
  20. Iven the Lunatic

It is not completely broken but does also not work properly. PoP is a key expansion and very important for TLP servers. Yeah, thousands of players have worked on the flagging process, but how many have it completed ? And for their alts ? Maybe less than 10% of all players on their main PC, and less than 3% for alts. Why should they work on it at all today on live servers, if not for the Artisan's Wares, now that all zones are unlocked from progression ? EQ is suffering until today from sloppy done expansions and dev deadlines, tortured by Terris Thule and Saryrn. EQ is Elder Fuirstel (Mylek) and Tylis Newleaf. ;) It does need a cure !

[IMG] [IMG]