Suggestion: Loyalty discount for expansion purchase

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Iven, Oct 6, 2023.

1. Iven the Lunatic

72. Loyalty discount for expansion purchase

Players who do buy the newest expansion do receive a 10% discount if they do own the penultimate expansion.
    Players who do buy the newest expansion do receive a 20% discount if they do own the expansion before that one.

Discounted expansions (few weeks before next release) are discounted by 30% instead of 20 25%.
    It does not stack with loyalty discount bonuses.
  2. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

You do realize that they need to make money right?
  3. Iven the Lunatic

The expansion prices can be raised if that is a problem.

What is better ?

A player that does buy expansion A and B for 100% and then 80%
    or
    A player that does only play expansion A and then nothin for two years.
    It is 180% vs 100%.
  4. Wildeone New Member

Expansions are like $36. If a $3.60 discount is what is going to sway you, I'd recommend you cancel your sub for a month and be able to support the purchase of the next 4 expansions.
    Themono and CatsPaws like this.
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You do get a loyalty discount when purchasing an expansion, I got one last year for preordering the NoS expansion. From what I have seen you get that discount on every purchase you make.

You are not going to see them discount older expansions because the latest expansion always includes all previous expansions making it a bad deal to purchase them individually.

Sure it is only $3.60 on the base expansion but it adds up when you purchase the more expensive versions
    CatsPaws likes this.
  6. Cicelee Augur

Boxers would love to buy one at retail, a second at 10% off, a third at 20%, and so on. That might even get more to box as well.
  7. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Discount is part of subscribing to the game via monthly, 3-month, 12-month, Lifetime subscriptions, or using Krono.

Pretty damned generous IMO.

Still salty over not grabbing a lifetime sub. :oops:
    Barton likes this.
  8. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I would love an additional discount even a few dollars. "take care of the pennies and cents and the dollars will take care of themselves"

BUT

I don't see a business reason for it by DBG.

If they said I could decide what to do I would tell them that any EQ profits stay with EQ and get reinvested in the game or to give us said discounts. But till they ask my for direction....... :)

All that being said a buy 4 expansions for toons get the fifth free or something like that would be nice but again. No business argument for it unless they get to a point where encouraging more boxing is in their interest.
    Nennius likes this.
  9. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I get a 10% discount if I am All Access already...even if its not the penultimate version ( In the words of Prince Charles "whatever that is")

This discount is pretty simple. Expansions are already 10% off. Not if I own this one or that one. Just if I am All Access.

Why would I want to fall into this vortex when we get 27 expansions free to start with. And another one next year.

If I just returned to the game and want to get all expansions I can do that right now with the 25% discount (not sure why you only get 20%) so we get this nice sale every year. Although it did used to be 50% but they phased that out a few years ago around when they offered up the friends and family packs.

And I am pretty sure (looking at my receipts) that not only did I get that 25% off but I also got my 10% all access discount.

And on top of all this, as was mentioned earlier, one can get some big discounts on monthly membership - for example When I pay a year in advance I would only pay $9.95 and add $25 (for the current expansion discount). Pretty darn cheap.

And then there is the family and friends - someone gives me a copy and now I get a discount next expansion? Looks to me like they would raise the prices to cover that

I don't think they need to convolute the pricing any further than it is. We already lost the 50% so lets be happy with what we have.

If anything bring back the 50% sale.
    Barton and Nennius like this.
  10. Iven the Lunatic

Unconstructrive ad hominem bogus argument.

They do discount the current expansions before the next one does get released. I was not suggesting to discount older expansions which cannot be bought anyways beside collection expansions like HoT.

The suggestion is about rewarding customer loyalty which does bind customers and does result in more expansion sales. It is not about making expansions overall cheaper. Cheaper prices however can result in more revenue when more expansions can be sold. Binding players is an investment into the future and expansion sales have positive effects like increasing the population of the latest expansion which does further future expansion and subscription sales.
  11. fransisco Augur

that will just make the base price increase, because most poeple buy every expac on live.
  12. Iven the Lunatic

Just clever pricing by making short subs less attractive due to overpricing them. They are after the 12-month subs. It is a common marketing trick that every supermarket does use. In business it is never ever about generousity; business is war.
  13. Iven the Lunatic

Penultimate is the expansion before the last expansion. Currently that would be CoV but as soon as Laurion's Song is out, it would be ToL. It is the word that the dictionaries came by with.

Just bad eyes I think. It was a 25% discount (22 Euro). 50% was nice but it was very close to the bonus feature prices that do get added to the marketplace for 1.500 DB ($12.75 - $15.00).

But I do wonder how someone who just had bought a (discounted) expansion, can be motivated to buy a new expansion, just 2 months later, either at the full price or with a 10% AllAccess discount.
  14. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Yes, I know what you meant by penultimate but I just get tired of seeing ostentatious wording used in posts when it would be much simpler to just say it. I was hoping the subtle joke would get thru.

50% was for the entire expansion's, like ROS and EOK - not a partial collectors package where each one was around $40-$60 and you had to buy them both to get almost everything that was included in the original. And you still do not get 999 of some items. If that is what your talking about? If not then I have no idea what your talking about something that was costing $15? Perhaps on TLP bag bonus?
    https://www.everquest.com/news/eq-empires-of-kunark-expansion-sale-2017

I am one of the players that are motivated to buy the new expansion right after buying the one that was just on sale. Its all how we can spread the money out.

So if your money is tight then you buy the bare version or pre order when it comes out. Minus your 10%. Now when October rolls around I will have saved up enough money to buy the Premium edition which will be on sale (minus 25%) and have my All Access bonus (minus 10% - isn't this some what of a loyalty bonus?) and minus what I already paid for the bare bones version when it first came out. Its creative financing.

I am sure many folk wonder about players who can just throw unlimited funds at the game without budgeting but more power to them.

And finally, this might be called a "loyalty discount" but I see nothing for those players who cannot pay each year or have to take time away from the game for whatever reason. Your suggestion is based on continued purchase very much like the continued All Access loyalty of a pack of LON cards each month that was discontinued and Veteran Rewards that stopped at 14 year and are now given to everyone.
    xcitng and Nennius like this.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And I am saying that they do discount current expansion sales with the 10% membership discount as I have an email receipt showing that discount when I bought NoS during the pre order period last year.
  16. Iven the Lunatic

Saying what ? Is there a less ostentatious word for penultimate and isnt the word ostenatious, ostenatious itself ? o_O

Idk, you mentioned the 50% first, but it should be the EoK offer. ;)

The AllAccess discount is a customer bonus but does ignore previous purchases, so it is not a loyalty bonus. The 10% are already included in the calculations of the subscription prices so it is not a bonus at all, because the customers already pre-paid for it. Cunning, isn't it ?

Of course a loyalty bonus has to be based on continued purchases. It has nothing to do with a general discount for everyone and would lead the idea ad absurdum.
  17. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

They make long subscriptions attractive by underpricing them :)
  18. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Just wish the Family & Friends version was cheaper 249.99.
  19. Iven the Lunatic

It might be possible by a mixed calculation, but is unlikely to happen because of greed. Basically there never will be anything underpriced if it is not a bait offer. But they can give you the illusion that something is underpriced by increasing other prices.
  20. Randomized Augur

You don't understand marketing do you?

The longer subscriptions are tempting because they're cheaper than month to month. The only "gatcha!" is if you pay for a year and quit playing at 9 months. Now they've gotten 3 months free outta ya.

But again, that's also on you. While it's cheaper and I'm sure I'll still be here in a year, I pay month to month in the event I need to step away from the game for whatever reason.

There's still no duping involved. You know exactly what you're getting when you pay for it.
    Yinla and Nennius like this.