Suggestion: Calculator

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Iven, Nov 17, 2023.

1. Iven the Lunatic

73. Calculator

Ingame calculator with a window for basic math function. Would be usefull for crafters and traders and other things, without the need to tab out of the game. Slash command: /calculator.
    Cidran likes this.
  2. Nennius Curmudgeon

Or,

[IMG]
    Roxas MM and Yinla like this.
  3. Randomized Augur

Windowed mode makes it so you don't have to tab out either. Put it right up next to whatever it is you're needing to calculate.

What actually requires something beyond some simple head math?
  4. Rael New Member

But you don't even need windowed mode to use:

[IMG]

Thankfully this was figured out 30 years before Everquest was released.
    Randomized likes this.
  5. Iven the Lunatic

That is so 1999. I remember myself using dictionary books and digital translators and calculators after that, but it is 24 years later now, so a modern solution would be highly appreciated.

Many players do not use the windowed mode and do not have a hardware calculator ready. A solar powered model does not work in a dark gaming environment anyways.

Just waiting for McMarrin to popup and writing that this would take dev power away from expansions. Is he in holidays ? I hope that he is doing well.
  6. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

I got a microsoft internet keyboard but just have to hit the calculator button but i know were your coming from.
    Grove likes this.
  7. Randomized Augur

You're right. Now they've added calculators that fit right into the palm of your hand that never leave your side.

And math teachers used to tell us we'd better learn to not rely on a calculator because we won't always have one with us. Ha! Technology showed them.
    Fenthen likes this.
  8. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Ah, I'm the last person to use my phone for anything my PC can do but if I had a problem with not being able to tab out of EQ to use the calculator and I didn't want to...well, phone.

I imagine that companies that make hand held calculators are doing as well as Kodak these days...
    Yinla and Randomized like this.
  9. Randomized Augur

...but if you're given such stipulations that you're not allowed to use your computer because heaven forbid.... ;)
  10. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

I just "Alexa, what's 17 times 12?"
    Xyza likes this.
  11. Iven the Lunatic

My mobile phone is EverQuest. ;) Imagine a mobile without a calculator.
  12. Tatanka Joe Schmo

What, everyone doesn't have two monitors on their PC? ;)
  13. Scila Augur

Alexa replied ... she's on a break and see's you have paper and pencil sitting next to you.
    CatsPaws and Nennius like this.
  14. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I use my mind. You too can build up your math skills starting with:

Yinla and Nennius like this.
  15. Iven the Lunatic

4/7 = ?
  16. Randomized Augur

.57 with some change.

Math isn't hard for everyone - especially when you realize everything just branches off the 4 basics of + - x /
  17. Iven the Lunatic

You haven't come far, do the whole string ! :D That is one of the reasons why an ingame calculator would be good. Sure the player can tab out to Windows or Linux but that is a bit annoying when playing in fullscreen mode and the result must be kept in the brain memory or copied and pasted into the EQ chat bar or into /notes. A digital hardware calculator is also not helpfull for long strings.
  18. Strawberry Augur

[IMG]
    Cidran likes this.
  19. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I keep my phone across the room from me, constantly plugged in (meaning I have to get up from EQ and cross the room to get it). I refuse the 2,000 companies that ask (demand) that I install their phone apps. I use my PC for everything and hate using my phone for anything other than speaking on the phone. I don't like texting. I understand not everyone has a smart phone.

Yet, I still can't understand why anyone who wants a calculator built into EQ doesn't just use their phone. Or pay literally $1.90 for a hand held calculator.

Adding a calculator to EQ is more developer and programmer time spent on something unnecessary. Debugging it. Dealing with that code. Sure, it is "easy and simple" to add. Except nothing in EQ code is easy and simple.

I just don't get it.
    Ssdar, Yinla, Barton and 1 other person like this.
  20. Strawberry Augur

Let's not exagerate.

Adding an in-line calculator in EQ would be 10 lines of code. A CPU is a calculator, it's stupid easy to code a calculator in every programming language since they all support arithmetic operators.

Even a beginner programmer should be able to program an in-line calculator in about 2 minutes. It's the most simple thing you can code. It's easier than a bubble sort that you learn on the first day of coding.

There's a lot of stuff people suggest that likely would take time to implement. Adding a calculator is not one of them.