Suggestion: Better integration of the test server

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Iven, Sep 16, 2023.

1. Iven the Lunatic

70. Better integration of the test server

It is currently impossible to run a test server client beside a live server client without two game installations (2x 15 GB !). It is much work to switch between those two environments through the patcher and does distract players from making more use of the test server, especially when they do use custom game files. There should be a separate exe file for the test server with it's own patcher.

The test server should be also listed at the bottom of the standard server list (live / TLP) where it would be linked to the separate test server exe patcher. An additional subdirectory should be created where all the test files including the exe files would be stored in one place.
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I don't think they can have the test server listed like that because of the way the launcher works and the test launcher needs to use different code to the live launcher.

Do you have such a small hard drive that you cannot have 2 EQ installations?

I used to have like 3 for live & 1 for test (worked better when boxing on 1 PC) & kept back-up character ini files on my one-drive to move between them as needed.
    Sissruukk likes this.
  3. Scila Augur

It's not that difficult (or time consuming) to pick live v test on login imo. I do understand why beta has a separate icon and login it goes to a totally different space on their side, takes purchase of the next xpac, and isn't up and running in the same mode as test or live. I also have different folders for everything as well as backups on both comps.

With the specs required these days and the availability of equipment, things run better. Adding test to the list of servers ... not sure that's a solution that would solve anything since you need to "patch" any differences between live and test to have what you need to go forward.
    Skuz likes this.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

If you created a sub directory for Test it would likely be a full install of the game which would leave you in the same place using space on your hard drive.
    Angahran likes this.
  5. Angahran Augur

1. 15gb is nothing these days.
    2. With separate installations, (I currently have 3, Live, Test and Beta), you simply have 3 separate shortcuts to the individual patchers. No work at all to switch. You can even run multiples at the same time.
    3. You can't list the Test server on the Live patcher since it requires a different version of the client.
    4. So, instead of a separate folder of 15gb, you want a subfolder under Live, of 15gb ??
  6. jeskola pheerie

this. Starfield and BG3 are like 140gb each. 15gb is nothing. a 2tb SSD only runs $60 these days.
  7. Svann2 The Magnificent

I wonder how it would work if you moved most of the directory into the cloud.
  8. Iven the Lunatic

Sure, if a noob would work on it. The file package that does get downloaded each time by the patcher for the test server client is not big.
  9. Iven the Lunatic

15 GB is still a lot for older or just small SSDs (128, 256, 500 GB) and the overprovisioning space cannot be used. On a 1TB SSD you have to subtract 10% (100 GB) for OP. 15 GB are 1,67% of 900 GB. Double that for a second installation and you already are at 3,33%.

26-30% on a 128GB SSD
    13-15% on a 256GB SSD
    7% on a 500 GB SSD
    3-4% on a 1 TB SSD

Now to the costs which are not high but interesting:
    A modern 1 TB M.2 SSD does cost about $60. 3,33% of that are $2, which are $1 per EQ installation. As not the whole space (900 GB) can be used in practice, the costs and the used space are even about 10% higher.
  10. Iven the Lunatic

Strawman argument. 15GB are 15GB and not nothing. Zork from 1980 is only 1MB.

A good and modern 2TB M.2 SSD does cost about $110 and not $60. Of course you can buy a piece of crap for the half price.
    140 GB for a modern game is way to much as modern SSDs are way to small and way overpriced.
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That is how every game that has the same install for a live and test server in the same folder works. They download the entire game to make sure that it is using the correct files.
  12. Svann2 The Magnificent

Sounds like you are saying to have a folder for what files are different but reuse the original files if they arent changed. Kind of like how a ui mod folder works - you only need the files you have modded. But have you actually tried doing that for a test folder? It seems to me it would not be easy for a user to make work. Unless you are suggesting that dbg should do that for you, in which case it doesnt matter how easy/hard it is they arent going to do that.
  13. Iven the Lunatic

It won't work if a player would be doing that for a live server. The file and folder paths would have to be linked correctly. Only Daybreak could do that, especially if some of that information is stored on the login or game server.
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Not sure why you are worried about 15G of space when most modern games use much more space then that. Heck you could install live, test, and beta and still use a fraction the size of other modern games.
  15. Iven the Lunatic

Storage is not the only problem. It is a very clunky method how it does get handled. It is fine for those players that do always play on the test server for not testing stuff but not for those that want to test stuff from time to time. I prefer to stay on live and not testing stuff instead of going through that clunky routine several times a day or even just daily, and installing another instance just for that is not an option to me.
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And I don't think anyone is disagreeing with the idea of patching test/beta to a sub folder to allow a single install to hold all 3 versions. The only pushback is the idea that test/beta would only need to have the files that have been changed instead of a full install of the game.

I agree that being able to have a single folder that has separate installs for each version of the game would be nice instead of needing a new folder for each one.
  17. Angahran Augur

What's 'clunky'? You have a 'live' install that you play the majority of the time and then you have a 'test server' install that you play occasionally.

How would putting a test and/or beta install of the game in a subfolder of the live install be any different?
    It would probably be worse because when you patch 'live' it would also look at those subfolders and patch them. So, do you want to take potentially three times as long to patch live when you have no interest in test/beta?

p.s.
    Since EQ doesn't actually have to be 'installed', there is nothing stopping you creating subfolders in your 'live' install and putting Test and/or Beta in them.

Personally, I prefer to keep Live/Test/Beta completely separate.
  18. Fenthen aka Rath

I used to run EQ out of dropbox back in CotF - which was nice because I could play on any computer and have all my files available. Same thing if you used a good thumb drive as well.
    jeskola likes this.
  19. jeskola pheerie

As an IT Professional and Subject Matter Expert I declare I am right and you are wrong, and also I know you are but what am i.

You are right about modern games having blown up sizes, but times evolve. 15gb is small potatoes in 2023 any way you twist it.

On the SSD tho on Newegg you can get a 2tb Intel pcie 3.0 m.2 SSD for $62 new and an MSI brand pcie 4.0 one for $70 new
  20. Iven the Lunatic

Do you know what the acronym "IT" does mean at all without checking a lexicon ? How many computer systems have you planned, organized, and assembled in your life ? How many different operating systems have you installed and optimized successfully on computers ? 15 GB is like 150 high quality mp3 music albums and not small potatoes because harddisks have not grown much in size in the last 10 years. There sure might be 100 or 1,000 TB SSDs or something much better developed already for the military and secret projects, but they are locked for the consumer market and only the crap like 2TB SSDs are being offered for way to much money. A chip does cost less than a dollar to produce, all costs already included.