Suggestion: Add all spells and tomes to the Great Library in PoK

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Iven, Aug 27, 2023.

1. Iven the Lunatic

64. Add all spells and tomes to the Great Library in PoK

When the Plane of Knowledge got released with the Planes of Power expansion, the idea was to centralize many things that are spread over Norrath in just one zone:
    • Spell & melee tome vendors
    • Tradeskill containers
    • Tradeskill component vendors
    • Class trainers
    After the House of Thule expansion in 2010 that concept had been given up. Maybe because of zone loading lag and stability (memory) but maybe it just had been forgotten. Now that the game does run on 64 bit servers, it should be possible to integrate all the missing spells and tomes to the Great Library or a similar central zone.

It would also prevent ugly spell vendor piles like in Western Wastes (CoV) and Eastern Wastes (ToV) that are disturbing the immersion. It would be the right time for a different way on how spells could be purchased or obtained. The shelves in PoK could be transformed into clickable shop objects, or a filter system (level, class), similar to the bazaar window, could be added to a single NPC that would sell all spells and tomes. NPC spell vendors could be even integrated into the bazaar as offline traders.
    Angahran and Graag Baash like this.
  2. Tatanka Joe Schmo

At least the ones through the F2P expacs. The ones in the most recent expacs wouldn't be moved, that's how they require you to have the expac in order to go and get the spells. Would make sense.

Although, now that I think about it, it's really not that big of a deal. Old expacs, getting spells entailed going to lots of vendors, spread over many zones. All recent expacs, there's one vendor in one easy-to-get-to spot, so, really, just go to the zone, get all the spells at once, and you're done.
  3. Iven the Lunatic

There are no real FTP expansions as they could be bought by FTP players which does just mean that they do not roll a subscription. FTP does not mean to never buy anything and most FTP players do just buy other things instead a subscription, like expansions. The level limit is bound to expansions and not to a subscription. So there is no drawback to add all spells and tomes from the newest expansions to a central spot like the PoK library.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Each year they have been adding a past expansion to the free to play list meaning no purchase is needed to experience that content.
  5. Iven the Lunatic

They just unlocked them to everyone not just FTP. AllAccess does not unlock new expansions. There is no FTP list.

FTP does only mean that the account is FTP.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Who said anything about the accounts? The expansions from ToV and before no longer require any purchases to play which makes them free to play.
  7. Iven the Lunatic

Most players are mixing up what FTP is. They do think that if something does not cost money it is FTP but that is not the case. Formerly locked expansions never were reserved to AllAccess, so how can they become FTP ? Same with the forums and the EQ website. Are they FTP ? There are things that are neither FTP and neither AllAccess but most people prefer black and white thinking (duality) even that the reality is polarity (a wide range of things inbetween two poles).
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Because new players or players who had not previously paid for the expansion now get it for free? If someone wants to start playing Everquest today they get all but the last 3 expansions for free as part of their account.

Just because people had to originally pay for something doesn't mean it can't later change to free to play.
  9. Iven the Lunatic

They do not get anything for free, it is just that some content is accessible to everyone and other content locked behing a pay wall which basically has nothing to do with FTP. It is an illusion to think that unlocked expansions do give the players something for free. It is just an extended offer, nothing else. I do see them as a hook to lure more players into a subscription because freshly unlocked expansions are to tough for FTP accounts. And btw, CoV had been also unlocked.

AllAccess does grant privileges and its counterpart, FTP, does not grant privileges. Locked expansions have nothing to do with that. They do not grant privileges, nor do they deny privileges. Well, the bonus items and features (key rings, tradeskill vault, etc.) do grant privileges, but not the additional zones. A very clever concept to sell more expansions.
    Gialana likes this.
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

What are you talking about? Players are now free to access any of the content in expansions from ToV and before without having to pay. The only exceptions are things that require a subscription such as prestige gear but as you can use those with a krono based subscription that can be bypassed.

As a new player can play in any expansion up to ToV without having to make any purchase. If they acquire a krono in game there isn't anything they can't do in those expansions.
    Syylke_EMarr likes this.
  11. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Please. You know what I meant. F2P expacs are expacs everyone has access to. All but the last two expacs.
  12. Iven the Lunatic

Sure, but I think that the term "FTP" is not adequate.
  13. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I have no problem with spells being added to PoK vendors once the expansion has become part of the F2P experience as long as having more vendors in PoK doesn't create more lag. Unless the spells are unlocked for everyone they should not be in PoK.

Although it isn't really needed with spells being on vendors in the hub for each of the later expansions.

I'd also like to see the same done for vendor TS items.
  14. Tatanka Joe Schmo

That's fine. I think it's perfectly adequate, as it conveys exactly what it means. It is "Free to play", in other words, you can play it without spending any money at all.
  15. Bernel Augur

They recently added CoV to the list of unlocked expansions. So everything from CoV and earlier can now be accessed without having to buy an expansion.
  16. uberkingkong Augur

Agreed, these forum warriors they just like their ways. They don't like new thinking new things because they fear change. They think of change always evil, they don't know you can't remaster a game if its still active you can't continue with the series if your stuck in your old ways old engine.

Anyways, issue is SoD spells, TDS spells, RoS spells.
    Gotta run through 5 zones to go the TDS spell or GH portal, and you have no clue where they are, like which zone, where at etc.
    Run to OT (110 version of it) to get spells. ugh.

Yes they should put the expansions open in F2P in the PoK.
    Who gets spells anymore? Talking modern games.
    Exactly.

FFXIV, new spell, boom you got it instant.

EQ is stuck in old ways.
    We want to have the vibe your exploring so we don't maps.
    Meanwhile, everyone and their mother, downloading the maps.

First thing we do in new expansion, download the maps.
    "but its empty for exploring" get outta here you behind times in what is really going on in EQ.
  17. Bernel Augur

Sometimes there are spell ranks where some spells are in unlocked expansions and some are in locked expansions. The 115 spells come to mind. The different level 115 spells come from either the ToV, CoV or NoS expansions. They shouldn't all be available to anyone regardless of whether or not they've purchased the expansion.

However, I think it would be perfectly fine if the spells were automatically added to spellbooks for people who have purchased the expansions. So if you've purchased ToV, then the level 115 ToV spells just get added to your spellbook when you reach 115. That would be regardless of whether ToV was unlocked at the time or not. It would be a perk for the people who have bought the expansion that they don't have to go to the spell vendor to get their spells. The people who haven't purchased the expansion will have to trudge uphill both ways in the snow to get their spells from the vendor.
  18. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I didn’t see any results for that in searches which is why I didn’t list it.
  19. Lubianx Augur

Whilst the idea of putting spells up to the FTP in POK library is a valid request, please stop mentioning what other games do.

I couldn't give a rat's toss bag what happens in another game and it really just diminishes the request. Your fascination about what other games do compared to EQ is really tiresome. Go play them instead if you don't like the way it is in EQ.
    Yinla, Retty and Rijacki like this.
  20. Bobokin Augur

I'd do the opposite. Having all of the spells in one location cheapens the origin cities in the game.