Strongest molo classes and their limits

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Greyowl, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Greyowl Augur

Heya,

recently returned player here. My question is, what classes you rank best moloing with groupgear. Dont get me wrong, i love to group and chat - and i am lfg whenever i can. That said: I am aware i play an mmo, not a single player game. But because of my kinda wierd online times, i am forced to solo (molo (T5 merc)) a lot, so i am lf a powerfull "lone wolf" class. FD or some kind of "fade" is ofc a plus. I do not want to box.

Now:
    From what i read, Mage molo or necro molo are top end. Both dont really fit my playstyle.
    Which class would you rate on 3rd position, which on 4th ?
    Bst with cleric merc ? Sk with cleric merc ? Shm with tank merc ? What are their limits ? (Its nice to swarm lbs for max. aa/hour, still being able to take down a db, white or even yellow con named is more what look for).

Thx for your input in advance !
  2. silku Augur

It really is according to your goal in the game. You've eliminated the two classes that can really do nameds at high end (t1, t2) because of play style. That leaves a great deal of classes that come in third imo as they can all get exp pretty fast, but only your raid geared toons are gonna be able to stand up to nameds solo. Do you want to just do exp? If you want FD you got just monk, beast lord, and sk, and they are all good at moloing for AA.
  3. Rouan Augur

Shadowknight is pretty strong, group gear or not. You just need to collect the right BP clicks for extra power and could conceivably do the some named with good enough gear.

Beastlord would be pretty good for killing trash over a long period. Not sure about named. I as a T2-3 raid VoA geared ranger could do VoA T2 named molo at 95. I'd assume a lvl 100 beastlord could do equivalent or better.

Shaman and tank merc... you'd need to ask a shaman.
  4. Ardin Elder

Sk is third best class for molo - and best for solo AAs/xp (but at lvl 100 and group gear doesn't shine anymore)
    Sk is a tank who can pull, FD, snare. But his dps is terrible.
  5. Tegila Augur

our dps isntatallterrible on nameds if we haveto molo it by choice or bc rest of group wiped to ae or is feared etc. visage epic ht spire unholy lt and hope it lasts longenough to kill the mobs (some mobs are a bit higher hps if you dont have supplemental dps heh) but for waht you're looking for really yes, necro or mage is best if yo uwanna do nameds taht drop upgrades to the gear needed to kill them. sk would probably be third and paladin pretty close, both have pretty decent burn dps when needed though obviously not that of a dps class, but they can also tank and contribute to their own healing as well as having various utlities for pullingor crowd control (FD and fade, though every class has fade now if you buy or craft planar overdose potions) you could also probably do well with a ranger but doingit in a different manner than many..get a tank merc, use the ranger to slow and heal and add rane dps burn between the ehals, this would take a lot of healing aas remember, your 1.0 and imbued ferocity for a forced and quick slow, and enough space to range burn as well as fast enough reaction to swap to merc to heal and back to mob to make the msot of the burn. thats said, necro gonan be golden for named moloing as well as xp, ranger sk and paladin would be great for runners up for both. most other classes excel at one or the other..or none. you have to decide waht playstyle you prefer the most. do you like to tank do you liek to dps do you liek to cast spells, do you like to melee, dual wield, 2h's 1h's do you like pets or hate pets etc, and do you want ot play a more evil class or a more "good" class.
  6. Ronak Augur

It depends how much effort you want to put into grinding AA, camping augs, and so forth. If that's not your cup of tea, go with the pet class. Not because they don't need gear and AA too, don't get me wrong. SK just need a lot of AA to be effective.
  7. Sinestra Augur

Yeah if you play SK you are going to spend a ridiculous amount of time AAing and camping the best augs and gear in the game to be really effective. If you don't mind doing that it's a fun class, but if you want to jump into content, they are not a good choice.
  8. Fyrerock Augur

A group SK is fine if you are willing to buy his gear from bazaar and then do old content names, but a group geared tank needs a lot of backup to kill current content names.

If you really want to do current level content, then my advice is to make a gold account necro and a silver account mag or wizard and go to town,
  9. maverick Elder

What is MOLOING?
    Swear I am not trolling here , I truly don't know the answer.
    I have my own definition derived from seeing the word used in context, but what exactly is it please.
  10. Oculus Elder

Soloing with a merc = moloing
  11. Sinestra Augur

You mean buy his gear and camp for all of the augs you will need?
  12. Gnomeland Augur

People are going to give you different answers, but in my experience, having played a lot of classes, it's a question of what you want to DO.

Do you want to molo progress through expansions? WELL THIS IS EQ. YOU AREN'T ALLOWED TO DO THAT. Missions in EQ require a minimum of three to start. They made it so mercs count for one, but you still need another char to start them, so you aren't, technically, moloing missions. Also, missions today are heavily scripted and are very difficult to do without multiple people.

Do you want to molo mobs that drop up to date group gear? In that case, necro / mage are your only solid options for moloing, because without raid gear, it's difficult for other classes to do this molo. This is simply because those classes that are able to tank the mobs, don't have the sustained DPS to get through the inflated hps after VoA, while those classes that have the DPS, aren't able to face tank. Pet classes are your best choice for this molo, though you still won't be doing everything.

Do you want to molo old raid mobs? WELL THIS IS EQ. YOU AREN'T ALLOWED TO DO THAT. Mercs don't work in raid instances, and you need a minimum of 6 people to start raid instances to begin with. Having said that, provided you do get into a situation where you have the ability to start raid instances / farm static raid bosses, SKs and Paladins are the premier raid boss soloers, with Paladins being able to go furthest due to the ability to handle all cure mechanics. However, SKs have better options for getting around and skipping content.

Do you want to molo for exp, plat to buy bazaar gear, and to get to a spot where you're able to jump into current content? Then the answer is - just about every class is capable of it. Play a ranger and HS PL for exp & plat. Play a bard and charm. Play a wizard and exp / farm kitable mobs. Play a warrior and grind it out. In short, play whatever you want. All the classes are capable of moloing to the top provided they make use of the bazaar. The better question is what you enjoy playing.

But tldr, this is the list for moloing up to date, loot dropping group bosses:

Necros
    Mages
    Rangers
    SKs
    Paladins
    Shamans + tank merc

Don't know where BLs fall but I reckon it's around the same as the bottom group because their pets tank well and they have slows, dots, swarm pets, pet heals, and the ability to give mana back to their merc. So while BL DPS is going to suffer while pet tanking, they do have options.

Oh, and shaman + tank merc doesn't work at the moment because they forgot to give shamans two of their best healing spells in RoF. When those spells are implemented, this is viable for lower tier content.
    anthraciteMT likes this.
  13. maverick Elder

Thank you very much, I did not think that is what it meant. I thought it was mass soloing, m=mass
    Thank you
  14. BoomWalker Augur

The answer is in your post...

Necro - best
    Mage - need lots of aa and EM
    Sk - need lots of gear/aa

Boxing is what you really want...since you can get F2P or Silver for a healer toon with a merc of some type.
  15. Coruth Augur

Nice Logic Gnome.

I'll probably throw Bard out there into the Mix.

Farming for xp, they probably beat everyone.
    Farming named, they are probably on par with Ranger, and little behind SK (not including pet classes like poster stated)
    Farming Old Raids though they'd be behind any class that has a direct heal.
  16. Noobieguy Augur

Necro and mage! :p
    If you don't like those 2, monk, SK, or ranger. Trying to molo nameds when you get higher lvl will be much much more difficult than with a mage or necro though.
  17. Gubu New Member

Well molo and solo are different. A necro will be much better solo, don't really see any advantge to moloing with a necro except for a named, why give up the exp. Mages molo pretty good, you have a tank, dd and healer(you/merc). The problem comes down to pulling. Not many tools to pull with and if you overpull/agro, its usually zone city.

Sks are good a good molo class, but its slow going, MUCH better ways to get exp as an SK. Actually if you have a Zerker, they kick major butt killing things they can decapitate, with a cleric merc. Rangers solo is better then molo. Beastlords molo awesome. Shamans solo better then molo(root rot). Bards don't solo or molo very well, besides charming if you want to play with that. Enchanters molo or solo ok with charm, but it isn't point and shoot easy.
  18. Greyowl Augur

Thx all for your input :).

Still wondering, why most peops (not just in this thread) rank monk above bst in terms of molo. From what i read at beastlords den and monklybusiness, their dps is about the same, monk has higher ac cap, better avoidance and miti (via aa) as well as the 30sec mend. On the other hand: Bst got slows, buffs (incl. haste) and heals to let a tank merc shine, no ?
    -> talking about taking on db, even or yellow con, not about masslaughtering lbs.

My main (monk) is just lvl 89, my alt (bst) is just lvl 77 so i cant speak for the high end. Id just imagine a bst with a tank merc should be a harder nut to crack than a monk with a cleric merc.

Well, one day ill find out myself :p
  19. Tegila Augur

beast wit ha tank merc bad idea imo. bst with a healer merc means the beast can use pet to tank and can do dps himself, bst pets have huge hps but like no dps from what im told (smine arent that high either) that way also if the pet dies and no pocket pet, the beast can try to stand in tankwith te healer merc to finish things off.

as for which is better..idk. really dont have much itnerest in either at higher levels, personally, but thats my personal preference nothing about the classes themselves
  20. Noobieguy Augur

Monks can split mobs MUCH easier, with either of them you are going to need a healer merc later on if you plan on moloing tougher things. I don't have a high lvl monk, but it was my understanding that they can "tank" better than BSTs. I know there are numerous times I have seen monks used as the emergency tank on raids that were either going south fast, or where there weren't enough tanks on.