"Solo" quests that require a group.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tunks, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Tunks Journeyman

Why are all of the quests in RoF individual tasks, but a majority of them require groups to complete?

I'm NOT asking for the quests to be easier.

I repeat, I'm NOT asking for the quests to be easier.

What I am requesting is that the tasks, like the mercenary and partisan lines, become group / shared tasks.

It is EXTREMELY frustrating to have to repeat steps of several quests 6 times.

Here's an example of a HORRIBLE quest line, because of the way tasks are right now:

Chapterhouse of the Fallen partisan quest chain:
    For the first quest alone, my group must -
    1) talk to the skeleton 6 times to start the quest
    2) talk to the gnome 6 times to update the quest
    3) talk to each of the 3 gnomes 6 times to get the 3 sub quests
    4) pick up the 6 different pieces of the body 6 times (groundspawns with a respawn timer, 36 of them needed for a full group)
    5) deposit the pieces in the coffin 6 times
    6) kill the named on the other side of the zone, SIX TIMES because you have to loot his heart SIX TIMES
    7) take the heart to the coffin 6 times
    8) take the linen wrappings to the 3 different mummies 6 times (OR MORE, because the mummies can agro, requiring that they be killed before they will accept more wrappings)
    9) take the rotting flesh to the 3 different ghouls 6 times (OR MORE, same as above)
    10) take the red ghoul elixir to the 3 different zombies 6 times (OR MORE, same as above)
    11) kill 3 failed experiments (holy crap, finally a step that doesn't require everyone to do it separately)
    12) 2 more nameds... same problem as step 6

See the problem?

The more people in the group, the harder and longer these quests become. Flagged as solo quests, but requiring at a minimum a healer, tank, dps, and usually a puller these are a pain in the ***. (I suppose a mage+merc wouldn't have much issue, but we're not all mages are we?)

The current expansion is pushing people AWAY from grouping together. It's WAY easier to two box the content with 2 mercs and only have to do each quest twice, than it is to roll around with a real group and have to do every quest 6 times.

Please allow us to pick these quests up as shared tasks so I don't rage quit this expansion. I don't want to rage quit.
  2. Falos Augur

My guess is they make these quests solo because of restrictions with the quest system and only having one shared task active. Would be awesome if they were able to let us all have multiple shared tasks with unlimited durations active at once.
  3. savrin Augur

@tunks

They are not all group level tasks. I can solo most of them with my beastlord proving they are soloable for the most part. The problem I have with making them shared tasks is that they immediately require that you do them in 6 hours or less and you can only have one active shared task a time.

You are probably a boxer asking for easy mode. No thanks to that if you want to box 6 toons you should have to do them all 6 times.

Some solo tasks really do require a group because lame mechanics make them impossible to solo regardless of gear. There is a kael merc task where you need a pet or merc to get super drunk and take down the shields of certain mobs. And the damage of the shields is so high you could never solo it. Those quests are just lame and should never be solo tasks ever. But making solo tasks shared because some boxer don't want to do them all for each toon I will never agree to.
    BlankStare_001 likes this.
  4. Falos Augur

Pet classes being able to solo group level tasks? NO WAI

P.S. I'm a mage, I don't think pet classes can be held to the same standards in group content as most classes. I'd love to see a group geared rogue or zerker solo all these tasks.
  5. Tunks Journeyman

im glad you can solo them, as a rogue i cannot

yes i sometimes 2 box - no way i could 6 box (i don't think anybody who DOES 6box does it legitimately either, it is my opinion that it is virtually impossible to play 6 characters at any level of efficiency without using 3rd party software to augment your own abilities, /rant off)

regardless, im able to 2box my way through most of the content with a pair of mercs. the problem is when i have buddies join me and i think to myself... "damn, now this is going to take twice as long" THAT is a problem to me.

get off of your high horse and be a little more open minded
    Sinestra likes this.
  6. Lighteningrod Augur

7. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

You had me until the class envy.
    Loratex likes this.
  8. Uxtalzon Augur

Yes, the "solo" tasks in Chapterhouse and Breeding Grounds are pretty tough, even for groups. Yes, pet classes can solo them whereas melee can't. You can do this task by getting a few well-to-do players to go with you and forfeit any collectible drops, because that collection set is probably the rarest to complete. Your class has the nice ability to traverse the zone at will - something I envy very much. :p

Either ask in general to form a group or ask to join others. Same goes for Breeding Grounds partisan, there's simply no way you can do it on your own.
  9. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

I see no problem with partisan tasks that require multiple toons to complete dropping multiple items each kill. They have done it in several expansions.
  10. Gladare Augur

I don't see any class envy from Tunks. Or from anyone for that matter.
  11. enclee Augur

I like what they're doing with automatic updates from kills like they did in the Shard's Partisan line, but I agree questing in EQ can be extremely tedious with multiple people. Also, forget adding people to a quest line that you're have in progress.
    Sinestra and TheQxx like this.
  12. savrin Augur

Beastlords are not that good at soloing compared to many classes. That was kinda my point about soloing stuff. Sure rogues are not one of them but many others are better at it. And I did guess wrong about the boxing stuff. I kinda assumed the OP just wanted this so he could only have to do the quests for his box crew once.

There are 2 reasons I do not like everything to become group tasks.

1. They are a fixed time limit of 6 hours whereas solo task give you a unlimited amount of time to do them. Solo tasks allow for me to work on them a little before work and then when I get back home finish them.

2. You can also get as many solo tasks as you like all at once. With shared tasks you can only have one at a time. I might be willing to agree with the OP if devs fix these two points.
    Making everything shared tasks would make questing not as fun imo.
  13. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

It doesn't have to be a shared task. The quest should just update for everyone who is at that step and in zone.
    Sinestra, beryon and TheQxx like this.
  14. Gannen Elder

there are ways to make group tasks past the 6 hours marks... normal instanced missions have such limits, but expedition zones do not (or they're really long)... remember the watering hole and the firepit off of Dranilk's Scar? or the sewer off of the city of dranik? start with a long timer expedition zone, and then add some in zone quests for the instance... how we used to farm the bracelets for Anguish... as an example...
  15. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

This type of task is actually quite an asset. You can grab it a long with many other "solo" tasks and just have in your quest log to get updates as they happen. You can only work on one group mission at a time - so by design this was a well thought out way to implement quests.
  16. Filatal Augur

I am long since done with the merc/partisans, but as I recall a bunch of the partisans/mercs in Xorbb gave everyone in the group an update if they were at that point ( granted, not all of them ). My memory may be a bit hazy on the particulars, but that was a nice way to go about it as you didn't get penalized for having more real people in your group. Shared task? No thanks, but getting an everyone an update as long as grouped? That is workable.
  17. Crystilla Augur

Some of the annoying Kael ones did as well
  18. Zalamyr Augur

Yeah, it is annoying. As mentioned, they just need to make sure tasks like that update for everybody at the step and have enough drops for everybody.
  19. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

You are incorrect regarding six boxing. Be a little more open minded :)
  20. Beimeith Lord of the Game

"Solo" tasks have not, do not, and (probably) will not, ever refer to the number of people required, (or recommended), to complete the task. It refers to the number of people that are "in" the task, which is one, hence "solo."

The assertion that it takes a single person less time than a group is, with few exceptions, wrong. The synergy of a group will make each step much faster, and getting multiple updates at once more than makes up for the time it would have taken alone or with 2 characters.
    silku and Uxtalzon like this.