SK to Paladin

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Xenze, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Allayna Augur

I love these discussions.

Harmonious I use in group game for added healing, it's the swing slot for the 13th gem. Where I put Wave, my Aura for buff time or brell's, this expansion - requiem.

3 spell types work for Hate Override on initial aggro, terrors, crushes and stuns.

I prefer the added survivability of a stun locked mob, plus unlike the SK class that gets Cascading Theft of Defense off of their crush casts, we don't get an AA bonus for using Crushes. Add the linked timers so you can load only 2. Add that they are also timer linked to our stun lines. Imagine if terrors were linked to taps....One of our 2 crushes is on a 24s recast, while the other is on a 12s recast. Both Stuns I use are 10s recasts. Now we get Healing Light AA that adds a 20% chance to proc a group heal with 45K base, from stuns.

I don't have single target hate issues with the fixes to valiant, depending where I move it in the lineup is where I fall on aggro. If I want all the mobs in the raid, Valiant goes in the first slot and I'm dead.

To further address the crush vs stun debate. I can cast the stuns 2x each in the time it would take to for one of the crushes to refresh. 4 potential group heals.

10432 - Sincere Force 10s reuse
    12025 - Force of the Grotto 10s reuse
    17947 - Crush of Restless Ice 24s reuse
    23063 - Crush of the Grotto 12s reuse

To illustrate I hit Crush of the Restless Ice and was able to get off the 2 stuns twice, the brilliant and valiant twice before Crush of the Restless Ice was up again.

So:

11129 - AE
    11129 - AE
    11129 - AE
    11129 - AE

Before I can cast:

But just Stuns vs Crush in 24s:

Stuns:

Total:

Crushes:

Total:

They're close, but I get 5 stuns off that can 1: stop the mob from swinging and 2: heal the group.

To change my mind on this they'd have to:
    Un-link timers on crushes
    Make them instant - like terrors
    Lower the mana cost
    Lower the recast time (you can lower the hate to compensate for the ability to cast them more often)
    Give us an AA that procs on use of crush - increased mitigation, increased passive healing, increased dps, something that will help paladins in non-undead content.

Obviously line-ups change year to year depending on content, this year we have stunnable undead content.
  2. shiftie Augur

Sacrificing 8k hp with a competent priest team to free the spell gem for a guaranteed self heal. Is 8k hp worth more than a complete save especially with the recast timer?

Side note it is 1/4 not 1/3 it’s only 8448 diff between the 2
  3. shiftie Augur

The point was use one crush (grotto) and one stun (sincere)
    Crush does proc things
    Resonant potions and hammer of magic
    Recently parsed this spell in group gear unmodded did 4K dps in 60s including the procs which also add aggro
  4. Allayna Augur

Does not innately proc an AA, adding enhanced defensives - something that Terror does.

LMAO @ 4K dps vs stopping a mob from swinging. This makes me require less healing, a la, less need for a immediate heal spell gem. Plus Burst of Wakening is HTT now and 0.25s cast on a faster cooldown than either grief or expiation.

Relying on a priest to do what you can do yourself is pretty lame. Our druids are dotting and debuffing. Our shaman are keeping alliance rolling on all the tanks and twin splashing on refresh as well as debuffing the mobs. I can sacrifice 1 gem for a superior HP buff.
    Wulfhere likes this.
  5. shiftie Augur

I didn’t say 4K dps was better than a mob not swinging. I said it did proc something.

You would load burst and grief line. Faster cool down but a rest period not being able to cast at all, in an emergency heal situation that is detrimental. As it stands your spell set has a lot of filler non active gems when it could be tweaked by optimizing
  6. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

I never use stance.

If you want aggro you mem 2 crushes and 1 stun. If you want aggro and actual stunning you mem 1 crush and 2 stuns. It isn't a question of 2 stuns versus 2 crushes.

I don't use grief line at all. Just due to spell gem limitations. We just almost never die anymore, and if you do die, its either something that you can't avoid with that spell line, or its so fast you don't have the reaction time to use it.

I used to use it when soloing via swarming though. Its nice, just, it works better when you have the time to react to need it.

Audacity is good for soloing. I don't see any benefit when raiding on grouping, other than like 3 raids the past 8 years. It is technically part of the highest aggro possible we could push, but not worth the spell gem.

I don't use dissident. 60 second recast. Awful. The amount of times I could have used the heal part are so relatively rare where a wave heal wouldn't work, for those times there is gift of life, hand of piety, reflexive. If it was 30 seconds I'd probably usually mem it. If it was an aa (even with a high mana cost tagged to it), I'd use it a lot.

One thing about stunnable content though, if its actually stunnable, you don't need heals so can drop things.

Jade Cohort only has a purpose if you're fighting things that are 115 or lower, stunnable, and undead.

So I guess its better to solo with in EW to level your ear versus grotto, otherwise, using it is dumb.
  7. Razorfall Augur

Interesting. How does that fit into your setup? It's it at the end of a multibind, or do you have a designated key for it?

This is how I have things set up now for group content (I don't raid on my pally since it's an alt)

* = Swapped out as needed ("dps"ing, vs. undead, mana preservation, etc)
    Taunt*
    115 Crush
    Requiem*
    Force of Mercy*
    Dissident Force*
    Brilliant
    Valiant
    Protective
    Rejuvination*
    Spam Social (Thwart,Reflexive,Disruption,Epic,Projection/Pet Swarm (I threw it in for funsies :p))

I think i might have some in other slots to maximize casts, so the order may be a little different than here.

So, on my main hotkeys I mostly use keys 1-5 (1 and 2 being the above multibind, 3-4 Situational Spells/Abilities, 5 for "on next target" casting, 6 to - defensives/burns, and = shield flash) I have them set up as such:

[1 Taunt*/Rejuvination*/Spam],[2 Preservation*/Spam],[3 Stance],[4 Refute],[5 Harmonious*],[6 Defensive Disc](others on combat bar just above it),[7 to - Other Defensives/Burns], [= Shield Flash]

I also use a button on the side of my mouse to target/assist.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....

My typical mob rotation usually goes Side Mouse Button, 5,1,2,1,2,3,4 (as needed),1,2 (repeated until 3 or 4 are up/needed again). Any other situational things like Hand of Piety, Blood Drinker's Coating, etc are in a 3x4 hotkey set to the left of it, AE agro tools to the right, and the really random things on another set to the far right.

Any feedback is appreciated.
  8. Wulfhere Augur

Blunted Strike also procs Sympathetic Hammer of Magic and that parses about 4.5K dps while active.
  9. Wulfhere Augur

In the middle of my bind, usually 3rd or 4th spell. I like to keep the recourse guard effect up.
  10. Wulfhere Augur

Good point. With Burst healing roughly equal to the "If HP Between 15 and 25 Percent" threshold of Propitiation, I can see Burst replacing that spell gem for most if not all.
  11. Wulfhere Augur

Grief line may be obsolete at 113 with new Burst ally targeting.
    Spell rest doesn't stop you from using other abilities. There are plenty of emergency heal buttons now: Hand of Piety, Reflexive Reverence, Lay on Hands, Gift of Life, so this is less of an issue.
  12. Allayna Augur

Agreed. Grief and expiation are outdated with all the HTT benefits of other spells with much faster cool downs.

I’m tanking: great, I’m healing myself AND my fellow tanks in the group from stun procs.
    I’m not tanking: great, my lineup is giving those pass through heals to the main tank AND I’m healing the group.

Crush is garbage compared to other tools in your kit. Imo it would need quite a rework to earn any spell gem space.

Hey, but at least they’re giving us a very late side grade to harmonious >.<
    It’s 2 months after they updated our current harmonious to actually work with higher level heals...it’s like they meant to upgrade alliance but just don’t play EQ. Or they play an SK, rofl.
  13. Wulfhere Augur

Lol heh. I'm glad we got a patch to Harmonious instead of waiting this long for Concordant though. It's a more useful spell then the others of that era and ilk imho, i.e. Alliance and Dicho.

Maybe the spell dev will make Concordant available to TBL expansion and revert the upgrade/patch to Harmonious to get it back in-era. That would be a nice move on their part.
  14. Allayna Augur

As well as an upgrade to alliance. 1 mil is lame.
  15. Szilent Augur

I'd like Paladin Covenant to double in damage, too, like up to 2M. Since it can't really equal dps class Covenants, though, it should still get a kicker. What I'd love to see instead of the über-shabby stun is to have it pop off an AE HoT. Same range as shm Ally 60', 5 ticks duration, with EQ math makes that 24-29s so two paladins dedicated to careful coordination could keep it up full time, 3+ would do so (roughly speaking) easily. Historically, these sorts of casts have trouble focusing & critting appropriatelyat all, so it should be pretty chunky like 30k+/tick.

Then a year long battle ensues with EQ code team to get the healing properly credited to the Covenant caster :p
    Kleitus_Xegony and Allayna like this.
  16. Kleitus_Xegony Augur

I like the bump to the aggro and healing, but I'm not going to lie... kind of disappointed that the stun is still a max of 115 instead of 118 or 120.
  17. Wulfhere Augur

Looks like it's a TBL era spell reward, so kinda makes sense. Harmonious is now overpowered lol.