Revamp POK, its time...

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by demoria7, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Recnarp Augur

1 room that is 10 by 10 with just a single NPC. You tell it what you want to do it and it happens. "Forge"... a forge spawns. "PoT"... TL to PoT...

:rolleyes:
  2. Langya Augur

PoK is fine how it is. If you want more zone connections, use the guild hall or the Magus. If you want more tradeskill items, go to Abysmal Sea. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  3. Melanippe Augur

Plane of Knowledge is fine the way it is.

Hint: MAP
    Hint: Find Button
    Hint: Explore the place!
  4. CaptAmazing Augur

Having done lots and lots of TS, I'd hate having to learn it again. As I said earlier, PoK is fine as it is.
  5. Wuttever Augur

Except the darn leaves!

And then the other day I got stuck in a table. A table, in it, not on it, but I guess it thought I was behind it, but that was only the wall, and it wouldn't let me move. Ugh.
  6. Arakash Journeyman

It's a mess because it is trying to do what the various cities are already doing. Instead of making EQ even more of a single player game by consolidating PoK, why not eliminate PoK altogether? Make the world big again! We have all kinds of mounts now to speed up travel, birds and horses and gnomes lets give them a real purpose. Let's make the world immersive again by stepping outside the current mmo paradigm of quicker, easier (stupider?) and smaller.
  7. Axxius Augur

Because ain't nobody got time for that. :D

Times have changed. This is not 1999 anymore. If a game requires you to spend a lot of time getting from point A to point B before you can even start actually PLAYING - nobody is going to play that game.
  8. Fenudir Augur

Personally, I'd love to see PoK revamped ala Freeport (and yes, I love the way the new Freeport looks. Some real artistry went into that zone). If the dev team was to do it, they should incorporate the guild lobby into it and eliminate it as a separate zone.

Also, my 2cp, set things up so that the natural place for people to sit and afk is well away from commonly run routes so that people with slower comps don't start to lag terribly just because they are trying to get to their guild hall like they do now in the guild lobby.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  9. Wuttever Augur

Well, left turn, eh. So, just exactly, precisely, explicitly, what would you do to get people to congregate at some certain spot, supposedly out of the way. What exact mechanic would you put in place to make this happen? I hear the complaints, but I sure don't see anything being suggested which would actually achieve that goal, from what I see.

People hang were they do, I think, because that's where the folks find it convenient to stop and cast MGBs. Because it is on their way to where they are going. How will you make the people casting the buffs go out of their way to do it?
  10. Fenudir Augur

The specifics are difficult to describe because details about a supposed new zone would be needed. Really what needs to be done is for an open area to be incorporated in that lends itself well to being the place to do.

Looking at the guild lobby for just a moment, where people sit now is a natural place because it's large, open, and central. If the guild lobby had been designed asymmetrically with narrower corridors to PoK and the guild halls (larger than they are now but too narrow for large crowds) and one large room to the side, people would have naturally congregated there.

In any new zone, an open area off the beaten path with something that draws people there would be needed. Perhaps an aura in that area that gives the same regen that the guild hall pool does.
  11. Wuttever Augur

It's an interesting study in how congregate spots get established. From my observation over the years, it's where the buffers say, and the people wanting the buffs have no say at all. So they announce MBG KEI outside tunnel in 10 minutes. Most raiders would go there to sell, so they would just stop on the way and toss a MGB. Later it was outside the main bank in PoK. It was where the buffers found it most convenient.

The idea of an aura is the first idea I've seen on this subject which sounds like it could work. It would need to be an aura the buffers would seek, I think.
  12. Wuttever Augur

Maybe something which gives the person casting a MGB which lands on a statue of Firiona Vie a buff in return, say an experience gain buff for 1 percent experience which lasts as long as the buff they cast.
  13. Wuttever Augur

You know, I really like that idea. If someone casts a MGB which lands on a statue of Firiona Vie, the person casting the MGB gets a buff in return, which gives them 1% extra experience, and lasts as long as the MGB the buffer cast on the statue.
  14. Ishtass Augur

Just make the old guild hall pool be the only spot in pok where buffs don't run out. Assuming people would actually be on board for a revamp, which I doubt a majority would want.
  15. Wuttever Augur

I doubt backing up on having the buff timer stop in all of the zone would go over well.

It's always better to create something new people want, than to take away something they really like to channel them into the behaviors desired.
  16. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Must have been in Beta cause I tried killing stuff when PoK launched and was just like now. I sat there with attack on and no swings or anything. So either that pic was a bug, or it was during a special event I'm not familiar with.

The New bazaar was created to address the lag issue at the time; which might be a non issue now.

The Alliance merchants have every TS component that is sold by NPC merchants in the game (that was not already available in PoK) from my understanding.

Graphical revamp of PoK is not really needed but something akin to the Commonlands or Deserts of Ro revamps wouldn't be horrible. The TS vendors though really could be much better distributed like I mentioned before.
  17. Geroblue Augur

A tunnel through the library building so I don't have to run around it to get to other places quicker in POK would be good.
  18. Caudyr Augur

Make the guild lobby have an 'aura' that prevents MGB'ing...except in a certain area off the beaten path. That way people will go there for their MGBs...and people won't be subjected to the lag of 100+ people and their mercs/pets lagging you up.

That being said, I still think just having a /hideidleplayers command would be the better option to fixing the problem with player-caused lag in these zones.

On the subject of revamps...a few things:
    • I stand by my idea that I'd rather just see either 'another rung' added to the outer regions of PoK (beyond the stones sectors)...or have the 'rocky area' that has the ramps leading up to the library be hollowed out with new stuff placed in there. Maybe have the new trading alliance moved there...and have some other new things placed there (and/or rearranged). You could move the 'tutorial' NPCs and whatnot there, though that's just an example of some of the things you could change. I actually like the idea of utilizing the rocky area rather than building another rung outside, tbh. :D
    • The bazaar. Ah, yes. The bazaar. I loved the original bazaar's look and have always despised this new bazaar where the find path half the time doesn't even work. I still think we should have the old bazaar brought back (Just have the 'trader stalls' also act as 'buyer stalls' or...if you can't overlap them...have one of the small stalls set to be for buyers instead of sellers). If it's not possible to bring that back...then at least take what the bazaar currently is, get rid of the individual pods (while keeping the one you port into)...and expand the one you port into's walls out so you can just put the trader stalls right there surrounding the bank building for each section. *shrugs*
    • Freeport. UGGGGGGGGH FREEPORT! Please get rid of the current abomination and restore it to its previous look. While you're at it, since you wanted to combine the zones...the easiest way would've been to just combine them as is in their old form. I imagine that NFP could've just been 'slapped' onto WFP at the very least and just left it as WFP and EFP. TBH it wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't such a maze with the ridiculous walls..
    Aside from these...I'm with the other person that rather than revamps I'd like to see some of the zones never released finished...such as...
    • Firefall Keep - This is that 'zoneline' in Shadeweavers where the elementals are. To be honest, I'd kind of hoped that one of the RoF zones would be this one...where the crystal shard has punctured and corrupted it or something.
    • Plane of War - I've always wanted to see this. :D
    • Neriak "Palace" - There is that 'zone line' that is by that firepot you can pick the lock on to port to Lesser Faydark...it is disconnected from the rest of the zone, but it was originally intended to head here, I think. It would be interesting to finally see this place. ;)
    I'm sure there are others, but these are what I can think of off the top of my head. ^^ That being said...I get the feeling this is all just wishful thinking at this point, anyway. -_-
  19. Wuttever Augur

I always thought they should have just put up walls our computers couldn't see through between the rows of vendor stalls in the old bazaar. Well, except I don't want an arena in there. I remember when people were killing off their competition with that.
  20. Sathayorn Augur

After what happened to Freeport all those years ago, I have to object to changing any current zone, especially one that has been around since Planes of Power.