Research

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Yinla, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

What is the highest level of spell that can be made with research?

When was the last expansion which had new spell combines?
  2. Scorrpio Augur

IIRC, lvl 100, RoF spells. CotF RkII's not researchable.
  3. Jumbur Improved Familiar

If it were up to me I would make all rk2 spells researchable. Thats why I did all my research-skillups originally, to research spells...:rolleyes:
    Yinla likes this.
  4. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Yep, at the moment research is not worth doing is there are no recent spells researchable.
  5. Warpeace Augur

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?
  6. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Sounds like he wants to make rank 2s in the 101-105 range.

Looking at EQTraders, it seems Scorrpio is correct. Can only research rank 2s through level 100.
  7. svann Augur

L101 Ability: mass enchant conflagrant platinum, but afaik its broken and wont be fixed till january.
  8. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Yeah, that's what Ngreth said.
  9. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Trying to find a reason to actually finish it!

Currently 295, but it is a tradeskill which has been very neglected
  10. Hellfyres Lorekeeper

Yup, nothing new or good hear...keep ignoring it.....
  11. Aurastrider Augur

In terms of making items for end game I think this trade skill has pretty much been phased out unless they added something new with ROS. It can still be useful for making spells for lower level alts or friends. If you have your artisans prize and have a ton of research mats saved up you could try to raise your research past 300 and potentially skip some of the more tedious combines in other trade skills that require days or even weeks of farming. Outside of this I don't see much benefit from mastering it.
  12. Jumbur Improved Familiar

To be fair, I think you can make some nice type5 augs with research, which is pretty useful. :)

I still think research should be a viable way to get current spells(even RoS rk2-spells) though. that was the original purpose...
  13. Tatanka Joe Schmo

That's about the best use of it. If you have an alt or friend who needs spells where the rank 2s use a non-tradable currency which nobody farms (say, TBS spells), then you can just craft some up.

Provided you have the correct mats ;)
  14. fransisco Augur

you can make some type 5 and 7/8 augs with research in RoS now
  15. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

You need to have around 320 skill to do the combine (I don't know the exact skill needed). You'll get a message that tells you you don't know enough about Research to try making this. There's not a whole lot of people that have that high a skill.

Before I maxed the skill, I had a 313 skill from scribing books - Hybrids had no reason to touch Research before the Prize. You'll have to learn around 350 recipes from there to be able to do the combines - and that's assuming 320 is the bullseye. Yucky pooh to most players.
  16. Thrillho Augur

I thiiiiiink the trophy modifier counts towards the skill requirement. So you might not have to do any combines, if you've done the trophy previously.
    Jhenna_BB likes this.
  17. fransisco Augur

I hope thats the case.
    I only have ~ 308 unmodified skill level.
    And research is crazy awful to raise - since its drops are so much more rare than silks/ores (And havn't really dropped in the last few expacs)
    Jhenna_BB likes this.
  18. Toruch Fleshrot Augur

My research skill is around 218 now I think. What would be a cheap, easy recipe to get skill up to 300 or so?
  19. fransisco Augur

There isn't.

The fastest option is to watch for lots of binding powders to come up for sale in the bazaar (more than 2-5 are rare on bertox).
    Otherwise, buy every scroll you can find and farm your heart out.

Unlike other tradeskill drops, spellcraft ones only have a chance of dropping from npc casters (and binding powders stopped dropping several expansions ago, so unless you go farming, your not gonna see them).
  20. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I think energiean rods can be made from vendor-bought materials, but it is a quite expensive skillup-path.

You can try vendor-diving for binding powders, I would look in pok and vendors in hotzones, maybe you get lucky...:)