Research

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Yinla, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Aurastrider Augur

If you can do the merchants alliance combines it's a pretty easy trade skill to get to 300 assuming you have a stockpile of writing inks saved up. This is also true for tinkering with black powder punch. There is a reason people started buying and selling both for crazy prices when before the artisans prize you could hardly give them away.
  2. fransisco Augur

The energiean rods "can" be done for 300. However, they are over 1k per combine, and when you might go hundreds of combines per skill up after 270, thats alot of pp
  3. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

You need a bunch of Sunshard (powders, ore, etc), I think 2 each combine.
  4. fransisco Augur

There is one other method I forgot to mention. I discovered it but it seems alot are not aware. However, the dropped part also is not available in the bazaar.
    Guidestones (eqtraders doesn't list any recipies for research in cotf).
    http://www.eqtraders.com/items/show_item.php?item=5991&menustr=035000000000

Combine a ethernere essence with a vendor bought stone (neither the stone nor the final product are stackable, so you gotta sit at the vendor in Karana (cotf).

Its hard to get ethernere essences unless your farming, cause EVERYONE wants them
  5. Cloudia Augur

Stone of Marking, they can still drop in GoD zones. Have a bunch stashed in housing, a pita as they don't stack.
    Mostly I farmed them in wall of slaughter clearing area for vendor trash drops.
  6. Mezz Lorekeeper

My base research skill is 315 and I have been making the new augments.
    Jhenna_BB likes this.
  7. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Got bored of ROS and did some tradeskill stuff, found after putting AA in research I'm at 305 :)

Now I just need to figure out what recipes I haven't made before. :(
  8. Toruch Fleshrot Augur

What AA are you talking of?
  9. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

the ones that take you over 300, level is then based on the number of recipes you know.

Guess I've made a few different things over the years.
  10. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

yea I tried making a type five aug with no level 7 trophy equipped (I forgot) and it kept giving me message I was to inexperience to do the combine but when I equipped my level 7 trophy I was able to do the combine. With research a lot of nice augs can be made 510 trivals though. All my tradeskills are 300 btw so 345 with trophies. haven't done the aa's recipes to raise them yet looks like a lot of work lol.

Andarriel
  11. Aurastrider Augur

If you have the EOK AA's to raise your base skills above 300 at least scribe all of the books. Doing this should raise several of your trade skills above 300 and some pretty significantly. If you don't want to do all the combines this will at least give you some easy points. There are some great posts on here regarding raising trade skills above 300 if you ever decide you want to invest some time. I would at the very least consider getting fishing to 250 especially if you have your artisans prize. This can be done in a day of fishing and farming a couple of mats which for the most part are fairly easy to come by. Even creating a level 1 toon on a new account to fish would save you some time if you don't have multiple accounts as some of the zones you need to fish in can be done in a safe spot with no risk of death as long as you can get the toon there.
  12. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

I haven't done the artisan prize quest yet. I still need to find someone with quint. of ancients so I can get ground spawn item in PoI (I'm on Fv server). my fishing is at 200. how would creating a level 1 toon to fish help me out? unless if my skill is to high to get certain fishes or something. I have a alt ranger that just started fishing though at 102 skill.
    Andarriel
  13. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Yes, Adetia has a great post on her TR tradeskills page, which shows where all the scribable books are. I followed it and spent maybe an hour or two roaming around and picking them all up, and another hour or two doing the Abysmal quests so that I could get the old beginner's recipes.

Now, this char is old, and has done TS ever since 2001, so there are probably a good number of recipes which I done, not from the scribed books, but perhaps this will help show how scribing all the books will help:

Fletching - 302
    Fishing - 304
    Brewing - 309
    JC - 302
    Pottery - 314
    Tailoring - 312
    Smithing - 314
    Baking - 308
    Research - way behind on this, so no EoK AAs used here yet.

So, just doing the EoK AAs, I made 66 skillups, which is good for 9% gain on the aug (from 40% to 49%). In fact, that's still where it sits, I haven't had the desire to work on all the other recipes yet ;)

But keep in mind, a 9% gain on the Artisan's Prize is an extra 270 HPs and 27 AC!

Tat
  14. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

yea I got to do the artisan's ware pre and do the eron quest line to get the artisan aug. bottle neck for me is getting the poi ground spawn just have to find somebody. ill get it eventually. main reason I even started tradeskills way back in the day because I was real bored and that back in the day was real expensive to max compared to nowadays.

Andarriel
  15. Aurastrider Augur

Creating a toon on a ftp account to casually fish for you while you play your main. To go from 201 to 250 in fishing is done by doing combines not fishing and most of the combines use fish from around the world although most of the fish only come from a couple regions. If you map it out in advance it can be done in a couple hours if you are only doing it for one toon. It took me two days but I way over fished for my box toons and to save my friends from having to do it.
    Andarriel likes this.
  16. Horkak New Member

another nice way to work on Research with RoS, is get the polished Seb marbles and use ink of tranquility and ink of the nameless, it is trivial at 400ish, drop fairly common, if killing in OT, or possibly buy/trade people.
  17. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Threw a few AAs at research again last night, it seems my true skill level is now 319. Looks like I made a few different spells in the past. 31 skill points to go. :)

Made a couple of the nice augs for friends last night. :)
  18. Scorrpio Augur

I went to 300 and max trophy mostly on binding powders. They drop fairly often off caster type mobs. When camping shrink earring in 'search for Ilsuras' I got a lot of intricate powders off drachnids. Powders are great cause you get two 300+ combines for them (usually making a scroll of pestilence as 2nd combine). The clincher is you need chanter to make essences. But if you are a serious tradeskiller, a chanter bot is pretty much a must (a gnome chanter can also tinker)
  19. Toruch Fleshrot Augur

What is the name of the AA to increase research skill?
  20. Scorrpio Augur

Arcane Tongues. For casters, at least.
    GoneFission likes this.