Rare items just not rare anymore?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Mogossis, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Mogossis Journeyman

So last night I got the flowing black silk sash, woot! But then I thought to myself, there are like 6 other instances going right now where people have the chance to get the belt. Before instances, there was just ONE named that would spawn on the whole server to drop it, now there are multiple. It just kind of seems like rare items just aren't rare anymore, I don't know if that is a bad thing though :p
  2. Krisiun Lorekeeper

You should trade it for 76 krono while you still can.
    Elkay, Xanadas and Drexll like this.
  3. Nickatropolis Augur

This is everquest arcade mode basically, not to be taken too seriously. Enjoy your FBSS :) They are worth a few thousand plat im guessing.
    Elkay and Fallfyres like this.
  4. Roxxanna Augur

Good, maybe it will start trickling down, the only magic gear I'm sporting at 22 is a pair of +2 strength rings.
    Mardy and Jent like this.
  5. Zapsos Augur

There is also 8+ times as many people to share those FBSS's...
  6. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Oh no a rare item from a game 15+ years old won't hold it's value on a server designed to progress forward over time... what shall we do......
    Malambus and nectarprime123 like this.
  7. Tarrin Augur

If there weren't the instances dropping more FBSS, you wouldn't even be in a group getting xp.

The only trade off they really could have done is lowering the drop rates or named spawn rates or something to compensate for more instances. That probably would have killed something on the standard servers, though.
    Rhiyannon and Drexll like this.
  8. Drexll Augur

Yeah, this is what you need to take into consideration. The instances and subsequent increased loot drops even out with the vastly increased server population compared to classic EQ.
    Rhiyannon likes this.
  9. Numiko Augur

there are also 8X more people on this server than there was on any in 1999 . so the Supply and Demand sort of evens out .
    Drexll likes this.
  10. beyrak Augur

Instances suck. But what can ya do? They waited forever and a year to release a TLP. These should be started at the very minimum every other year if not annually.
    Drexll likes this.
  11. Porygon Augur

If there want instances, most likely you would not have gotten your fbss. So you can look at it like that :)
    Drexll likes this.
  12. liveitup1216 Augur

Not knocking anyone's train of thought regarding items to people, because I see it's pretty true that the sky is not yet fallig regarding item depreciation... but this server is not 8× classic-ish populations. Most servers had 1800-2200ish. Last count we had here was "more than 4500".

And that's characters, not people. Its probably closer to 2000-3000 people tops. This is not really on topic, I'm just curious where people oull these numbers from.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  13. Xanadas Augur

Yeah, and I find it especially contradictory how DBG says they don't want to instance raid zones because of the influx of loot it would cause, yet they're willing to make 8 instances of lower guk........
    Liquid likes this.
  14. LittleBrumski Augur

IMO, more instances and faster gear will be important in keeping people interested in the server and the raiding population on board until everything gets instanced anyway. I think that 6 months is going to turn out to be a mistake. 2 expansions a year (not counting clearing time). 3 expansions a year (4 month cycle) would have been better.
    Drexll likes this.
  15. Fallfyres Augur

-----------------------
    Wait...Xanadas, do you have a quote for that: 'how DBG says they don't want to instance raid zones because of the influx of loot it would cause..."

No. Can't be. Could it be? Perhaps? Ya mean, maybe making ALLLLL raid loot items completely NO DROP is another one of those things that 'can't be done?'

o-0
    Are any of those who are excited about the possibility of raid instancing aware that the likelihood of all the raid loot being itemized to No Drop is ...well, unable to be done with the 'oh so limited resources' this company can muster up?

That makes this whole idea of instancing raid content early, before it was done so on live, well, complicated, doesn't it? Because of the good that could be addressed by instancing at least one or two expansions-BEHIND raid content, surely its clear what flooding the server with a continuous, myriad number of raid loot items would do to the economy.

Nope. Can't be. I'll bet several of those outstanding devs are putting in some extra work right now towards having the ability to make ALL raid loot No Drop, right? And without that affecting the live servers in any way. If its a concern of DBG's, I think it might also be a concern for the earnest subscribers of these two TLP servers. *Watching.*
  16. Drexll Augur

I cant tell if you're being sarcastic or not... but tbh I dont see how it could be difficult to change a flag on certain items to "no drop."
  17. Healiez Augur

The real question is, Would you have even gotten an FBSS if instances didnt exist?

"There is no spoon"
    Drexll likes this.
  18. Tarrin Augur

>Pulls own numbers out of a hat
    >Wonders where others get their magical numbers from.
    Drexll likes this.
  19. Templeton Augur

/shrug... You camped it, you earned it... Why do you care how rare it is anymore? Enjoy your own personal win rather than thinking about how it will make others feel.

I LOVE that we are at last free to earn (most of) our stuff instead of it being locked down and going for stupidly inflated prices. I also love that i can find a play space in desirable zones.

Instances have been a win IMO.
    MaestroM and Drexll like this.
  20. liveitup1216 Augur

It's a safe bet that a vast majority at least 2 box, with lots of 3-6+ boxers sprinkled in. So yeah, a 2000-3000 player ballpark derived from whatever "more than 4500" means is a fair enough of an educated guess given the known variables.

Compared to people pulling this 1000 number for "old times" when you can google images of screenshots from then EQ Server Select still displayed actual numbers of players in the 1800-2200 range during primetimes. circa 2000-2001.

Or claming Ragefire has 5000-6000 people on at a time. That's just absurd. I'd wager that Ragefire and LJ combined do not ever have 6000 human beings playing at any given time.

So yes, I am wondering where people get their magical numbers. I provide answers when I'm questioned. Am I forum warrioring wrong?