Ranger dps on raids...

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by Zalkor, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Zalkor New Member

Ranger has been my main since i started playing EQ. I have always bow burned in raids and seem to parse with the other rangers... Every ranger that is parsing higher than me tends to melee burn. But then again they have raid gear and i don't ~ Any ranger advice for raid burns?
  2. Derka Power Ranger

We went over it here a bit.
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/ranger-lvl100-spell-abilities-for-dps.235088/
    Some other reading too.
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/ranger-burns-please.225932/#post-3310486

I would imagine you know about scarlet cheetah twin casts just make sure when it's up you get the dicho fired off as much as your mana can support since it's a good amount of burst damage. Amplified by bow disc as well which I have been using more this expansion with the extra 2 Mins from AAs.
  3. Thraine Augur

with all the new archery dmg AAs that came out with EoK, the bow is superior to melee dmg now. been a long time since rangers were actually ranged dps :) im embracing it, not as much lost dps running from mob to mob
  4. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

Is it just under burn or at all times?
  5. Thraine Augur

all the time. go check it out for yourself on a combat dummy.
  6. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

I did. I just want to check my results against other people. Bow seems to be superior right now under all conditions that I can replicate.
  7. Maedhros High King

Superior at causing one to fall asleep!
    Am I the only one that gets bored out of my mind when I am using archery on a ranger?
    Ratbo Peep likes this.
  8. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

No, I am bored at it too. The only technical issue now is making sure I am in range for Squall and Jolting to fire.
    Thraine likes this.
  9. Thraine Augur

yeah for some mobs its a fine line between being too close to shoot and too far away to use synergy.

funny how DBG made us ranged DPS again but made our synergy more melee in nature .. those scally wags :p
  10. Ratbo Peep Augur

"Made us" is a bit strong. To do max DPS with the bow, you still need to be close enough for Squall and Jolting / Enraging to hit as Tarvas said.
    If you close into melee and take advantage of more synergy stuff - you get "real close" to the Bow DPS.
    Close enough so that anyone but a total Min/Maxer has an actual choice in playstyle.
    IMHO if it's single target DPS (archery is of course better for target switching), and the raid is on "farm status", going in to Melee won't change your parse enough to make or break anything "real".
    But yes... Archery in all conditions seems to result in a bit more DPS.
    If your Rangers are so bored that they aren't paying attention to the little triggers, they might even do better revert to Melee on certain bosses. Maedhros is quite correct that 100% archery is rather mind-numbing as compared to Melee work.
    -Rat
  11. Thraine Augur

when i did all my parsing i was not finding it to be very close, the difference i saw was about 20%. i know a lot of rangers are very pro melee, but the way it is now is exactly how it was raiding back in kunark, velious, pop .. all those classic raids we always used bows back then. dont get me wrong i understand melee is more exciting but we are called rangers, and i think thats probably where we should shine the brightest.
  12. roth Augur

Shine brightest out in the wild? That's why we are called "rangers", as in park rangers or army rangers. It has absolutely nothing to do with the distance between you and your opponent.

I know they scrapped the notion of "hybrids" years ago, but the reason rangers were initially a hybrid between Warrior and Druid is because of the nature aspect, not the bow aspect. Bows sort of got tacked on, because that is the typical hunting weapon. "Ranger" is not, however much you might want to imply it, synonymous with "archer". "Archer" is too limiting. Its like calling a Berserker "Frenzy"; or a Monk, "Kicks" - they ignore so many other aspects of the class as to be completely misleading.
    fransisco, Brohg and Tarvas like this.
  13. Thraine Augur

i guess its all open to interpretation. they prolly shouldn't have put that dumb little spinning bow on our inventory window if we aren't supposed to be archers .. or bow haste via WR quivers, or double dmg with a bow, or archery mastery AAs or endless quiver or bow mastery. you can see how some might see us as ranged dps yes?

Hrm, just maybe we are archers ...
  14. Thraine Augur

15. Brohg Augur

16. Thraine Augur

lol good effort, but one ability hardly makes those classes more archer like than a ranger.

not sure why everyone one is against rangers being archers, but if it looks like a rose and smells like a rose .. chances are its a f***ing rose :)
  17. Brohg Augur

If it looks like a rose and smells like a rose for 3 months out of 18 years, and otherwise looks/smells like a chrysanthemum...
    Sindaiann likes this.
  18. Thraine Augur

the 1st 5-6 years of EQ rangers were best with bows. In PoP when archery mastery came out, we out dpsed rogues for a while till the devs nerfed us, then we were still competitive raid dps with a bow

/shrug to each their own i guess
  19. Orthodox New Member

Brohg maybe you should add a level 85 heroic Ranger to your sig to give you some street cred.
  20. segap Augur

Funny, just looked through some old screenshots from classic - lucin. Not once did I see a ranger using a bow on raids. They're either dual wielding or using a 2 hander. We must have been so good getting server wide first kills we didn't need rangers at their best.