Raid lag issue

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Maedhros, Aug 18, 2018.

1. kizant Augur

Very good idea.
  2. Sancus Augur

5: Decrease Current HP by 46650 (If More Than 14 Pets On Hatelist)

:(
    Thancra, Drogba and Spellfire like this.
  3. Mediik Augur

Reporting from Tunare. Crazy lag on raids sometimes. Noticed it this week before I saw this thread. I’ll narrow down next week.
  4. Maedhros High King

Lag is again the most difficult part about raiding.
    I gave it a few weeks after the September patch that said it was addressing some of the lag to get some sample size, and it seems like little to no difference has been made.
    The same fights that were a challenge with lag, still are.
    Fell Foliage, Crypt Robbers and Sathir line are still terrible to play.

I feel like removing the base pop on Fell Foliage would be a big help.
    As for Crypt Robbers and Sathir Line the lag does not seem to follow normal trends.
    The zone is small and you clear all the base pop before you ever attempt an event, so whats causing the problem?
    My initial thought is that all the players casting, all the melee, all the procs, all the pets... but then why is Drusella's vault not a problem?
    Sure there is less of a concentrated burn on Vault than the other two ST events, but Hoshkar does not have any appreciable lag, and we burn that harder than any of the other events. Is the VP zone better equipped to handle massive spell casting and heavy dps somehow?
    Allayna, Aldren and Evurkvest like this.
  5. Aldryn Another New Member

It's so weird that you mention Hoshkar being seamless for you guys, because RoI will go "HAM" on that dude and the script will execute fluidly. However, do the same event with Valhallah on the Firiona Vie server and I legit can't even tell you the last time the raid force had to move out of the way of a lava vortex. They'll spawn and they'll sit there until they depop. It's a night and day between the two servers.

I'm not sure if it's the software and/or hardware not being able to keep up with the times or what, but definitely holding out hope that this gets more attention sooner rather than later. It's mega, mega frustrating on some events, sometimes to the point where it's unplayable. Fire up the Kickstarter!
    Maedhros and Astral64 like this.
  6. kizant Augur

I still like Zarzac's idea. There's like a million swarm pets the entire event let alone 14 !!!
  7. menown Augur

Time to cosolidate the 15 bard swarm pet's into 1-3 more powerful swarm pet(s)?
  8. fortuneteller Augur

There is a reason behind everything, might be less population/high population, less/more storage, some special settings which has been implemented/not implemented.

When that is said, are there really big difference between servers, or might some people exaggerating to get their Words a bit more power ?

You mention RoI(Xegony?), and FV servers, there big difference, does Xegeny have newer hardware? There some number of instances servers, where the load are less and maybe X on that ? Load balance that should send you to A, but really send you to B.

Now I mentioned that, I can say that now compared to 4 months ago, that load times has increase on AB, also today compared to 2 months ago and dont think it is people coming back from vacation. This is mostly since patch where the spell casting should have been optimized
  9. kizant Augur

That is a very good suggestion.

Kickstarter made me think of something. What if we had an FV GoFundMe page? I'm sure people would donate to make FV the best server. It is where all the rich people play.
    gotwar likes this.
  10. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

For me ST seemed better last week, and then this week it’s back to its prepatch state. Sucks. =/

If it reduces raid lag, you’ll take your nerfs and like it, sir.
    gotwar likes this.
  11. fortuneteller Augur

Not just bards, but ALL swarm pets.
    Yinla likes this.
  12. kizant Augur

Yes. Less lag would increase overall dps. Mages could think of it as a new ADPS ability to have less swarm pets.
    Venau and Sheex like this.
  13. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I never understood why they went and gave every class a ton of swarm pets when lag is an issue.

Since day one of PC game creation the concept of how many mobs (mobile objects) on the screen has been something that has had to be managed to avoid bogging down the PC. This is something every game ever made has to deal with. To go and give every class a bunch of swarm pets boggles my mind.

That said, I have not noticed many lag issues on raids. 99% of the time this can be avoided by adjusting your game settings and removing junk programs running on the PC. I have an old PC (AMD Athlon II X3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 240) and EQ runs fine. I play on the Bertoxx server.

I recommend trying the suggestions listed here: Graphics and performance settings guide

I do not say it will fix all issues. However, it might help.

In the case of server side lag, none of these suggestions can help, only Daybreak can fix that.
    svann and Arraden like this.
  14. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

#RaidUtility is a real thing, friends.
  15. Arraden Augur

I have had bad lag before - it was an anti-virus issue or a known server problem.

On Monday, for the first time in a long time, I experienced the most horrific lag in ST3 raid.
    I was not the only one in the raid to have this lag, but it was not "universal" to the raid party.

It is interesting to see the comments in this thread.

My experience was that of a locked spell bar, although, casts were happening randomly...
    I was seeing 65% of first Sathir health for 5 mins after start (should be dead within 1min 30s).. had to ask raid members to give me updates on percentage of raid so I could continue leading. We had moved onto second SAthir while I was still seeing 65% of first burn kill.

I was unable to gate as AAs were not functioning. I was unable to camp... a window did not spawn; had to /quit.

Strangely, /gu /rs and /gs were functioning normally.

I checked software updates and anti-virus to see if anything was sucking the CPU or Network away from EQ (although EQ is set as priority for all system functions) and there was nothing obvious.

The fact that other raid members have noted issues in ST3 previously and, only ST3 that we seem to find an issue with lag, I'm definitely of the opinion that it relates to the raid rather than the instance.
  16. Sancus Augur

:(
    kizant likes this.
  17. Warpeace Augur

Had this exact issue with ST 1 and 2 this past Monday. Everything was fine until the raid engaged ST1 mobs for clearing to the event. Then I was locked in place not able to do anything. Once mobs were dead everything went back to normal, could move, cast and chat. Figured ok will see what happens when raid starts. Raid begins ST1 and was immediately locked down by lag until the event completed. I did manage to Stein out, ran back and bannered in to be lagged out again. At that point I restarted my PC and that either fixed it or was something in those two raids that did it to me.
  18. gotwar Gotcharms

Events that are consistently for us on Firiona Vie, even post-patch:

ST1
    ST3 - Though, oddly enough, we have seen a bit of improvement here - more so than other events.
    Cactus - So, so bad. I have multiple post-patch videos of this guy not spawning any adds until he's in the sixties because the lag is so bad.
    Skyfire - NPCs will root in place or take forever to path to tanks. Add waves have delayed activations, as does the boss.
    Hoshkar - Lava vortexes don't even more for us. Trivializes the whole event.
    Talendor - If you haven't seen the Talendor moonwalk video, where it takes this guy 2 full minutes to complete his "I'm leaving!" script and advance the event, here's take 2:

It's a constant source of frustration.
  19. Denial_Sinfae Augur

On Tunare I only experience lag on ST3. Rarely I see some on Hoshkar.

ST3 is constant and bad the last couple months. It wasn't like that before. Sometimes I'll be meleeing an empty screen doing damage to the boss that still hasn't moved with the raid. I hope those anti-hack scripts don't get me!! My spell weave gets wrekt. Like someone else mentioned, using HT can suck cuz of how difficult it is to get the aggro drop recognized with FD once it's so laggy.

Not to mention players can't compensate for the terrible lag by using lurch and fling mechanics to move adds from aura even though they're yellow con trash mobs. :( RIP
  20. Conq Augur

I was on the same raid as Denial on Tunare. This may or may not help someone somewhere trouble shoot, but here goes. I experienced no lag. I was running 4 toons on the same computer as I was raiding with another instance of Pr0nh-b running. Hope this helps narrow down some issues for someone somewhere.
    Conq