Quest overlay

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Malbro, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Tatanka Joe Schmo

That was avoidable, if you did a couple internet searches for solutions. I'm still running Windows 7 here.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  2. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I don't see the overlay and I suspect it is the same thing stuck in a corner. Will have to check for that.
  3. Endurain New Member

Struggled to disable it similar to the OP. Not sure how it ended up permanently disabled but it did. Wanting to permanently ENABLE it later, I faced his opposite problem. In the rounds I studied my toon's UI file under the EQ directory and found a text editing way to doing both.

First a small lesson in how EQ handles a bunch of user preferences. There are files saved on your PC with info about hotbars, windows, etc. Some of those are found under the main EQ directory. One of those files is name UI_mytoonsname_servername.ini. For instance a warrior named "Thor" playing on RageFire would have a UI file named "UI_Thor_ragefire.ini".

Do the following while logged out of EQ or you'll run into sharing permission problems.

Copy your toon's UI file and save it in case you goof and need to restore it for the original*.
    Open your toon's UI file in a plain text editor (Notepad for e.g.). Search for the header:

[TaskOverlayWnd]

Scan the text (DO NOT USE SEARCH**) between there and the next header (the next word in square brackets) and look for:

Show=0
    or
    Show=1

There may be neither because the default is Show=1 (this causes the task window to reappear all the time).

If you want the window off, use Show=0.
    If you want the window on, use Show=1.

[all the above assumes you are an administrator on your machine, if not google will tell you how]
    *to restore the file, delete the original file (the one you edited) and rename your backup copy to its original name
    **because the entry is optional, a search may take you to the Show switch for other windows