Quest overlay

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Malbro, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Malbro Augur

For all that's good in the game, please give a way to permanently disable the @#$%%^ quest overlay!!:mad:
  2. moogs Augur

Alt+Q

Uncheck the quests that have checkmarks. Poof goes the overlay.
    Coagagin and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  3. Malbro Augur

Been there, done that. They are checked again when I log in and the dang overlay is back.
  4. Aghinem Augur

The overlay is actually a hidden UI window. You need to kind of right click around where the window & its border may be until you get the option to close the window.
    Annastasya likes this.
  5. Malbro Augur

Once you find it and close it, does it come back?

That's my problem, it always comes back.
  6. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I have no overlay (unless I want it up) It does not come back when I log in and out. Try this: - go to your EQ button, then click on quests then quest overlay and it will turn it off. Now go to your old task window (alt q) and uncheck all boxes. Don't forget if you get the bonus daily to uncheck that also. The quest overlay will disappear BUT if there is any quest box marked when you log it will reappear when you log back in. I don't do the settings under alt o cause those don't seem to affect much on my screen.
  7. GoldenFrog Augur

If you adjust it's size and location to be a tiny transparent window in some bottom corner, it won't matter if it gets reset and reappears.

This is what I do - it sits next to the hidden combat spam chat window.
  8. Malbro Augur

I've done that multiple times. No quests checked when I log and I logged back in today and it was still there.

This was and still is crap that Daybreak puts something like this into the game with no way to disable it. It's like micro$oft making folks upgrade to 10.
  9. Zamiam Augur

you can assign a shortcut key to get rid of it .. under alt-0 (options) go to keys select UI go to quest jornal and above or below that is quest overlay with no shortcut key assigned just click on the assign key and assign it .. I chose cntrl Q .. and i can make it go away in a flash if i want .. it is an extra step but not a difficult one.. or you can do what Goldenfrog sugests and just mini it into a corner and fade the window border..
  10. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

The more pertinent question is why would one want to get rid of it in the first place? It's so legit.

(And I even play with a horribly clustered default UI!)
    Brohg likes this.
  11. Malbro Augur

Pretty effing good when you have to do work arounds for something neither wanted nor needed.
  12. Glooping Elder

I'm surprised nobody has just mentioned that there is a button in the Options window to remove it.
    Alt+O, General tab, all the way to the bottom on left, Auto Add to Task Overlay, and Show Only Open Steps. Turn both of those off, then make sure your current tasks are unchecked in Alt Q. Never have to see the quest overlay again.
  13. Malbro Augur

Again, been there done that multiple times. Log out and come back in the next day and they're checked again and the overlay comes back when I get the dailies.

There is NO way to permanently disable that window.

This thing really irritates me to no end.

All's good, this is a moot post now as the dang thing went away on it's own. I don't know why or how but I'm not griping :)
  14. Tatanka Joe Schmo

LOL, saw this thread yesterday, and wondered what everyone was talking about. When I accepted some quests over the weekend, I never saw any window. Investigated last night, found they put it in the top left corner, where I have two other windows, so the new quest overlay was underneath, and out of sight. Thanks for alerting me to its existence, I moved it to where I can see it now :)

Tat
    Brohg likes this.
  15. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

There is, but you have to use a custom UI. Create a custom UI folder, put in this file:

https://onedrive.live.com/download?cid=92373444895FA451&resid=92373444895FA451!869&authkey=AGOx6QyK_FCPBMw

It's the EQUI_TaskOverlayWnd.xml file with the sizes made zero and the border and stuff removed. I've also made it "escapeable", which means if it does show up somehow, you can just hit escape to have it go away.

Let me know if you have any issues.
  16. Malbro Augur

Thank you. I do have a custom UI folder :)
  17. GoldenFrog Augur

Seriously there's nothing worse than a public, for-profit company doing things that try to increase their profit, or sometimes (in this case) just try their hardest to not shut the game down. It's stupid, especially when they "already make plenty".

I hate that. They all suck.
    Sancus likes this.
  18. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Sorry this is so long but I feel for you guys. And the issue is that some of the player base CAN disable this permanently so Daybreak is not going to see this as broken or needing fixing. So could it be Custom UI? might be. Using Alt o instead of quest/quest over lay off? Might be.

This is from when it was first released: please note ******In addition to "/taskoverlay," you can show/hide the window using the EQ button or via a hotkey.*******

UI
    • Added the task overlay window. This window is on by default and its behavior is slightly different from other windows in the UI:
    • It defaults to 0% opacity. This can be changed using the right click menu.
    • It defaults to allowing clicks through. This can also be disabled using the right click menu.
    • The window is locked by default, preventing accidental moves.
    • You can click on task names to pop up and hide the full quest window.
    • In addition to "/taskoverlay," you can show/hide the window using the EQ button or via a hotkey.
    • Mouse scroll is active on the window to allow you to quickly scroll through your active and shown quests.
    • Tasks can be shown and hidden easily using the new checkboxes in the quest window.
    • Added some options for the task overlay window:
    • Automatically add new tasks to task overlay (defaulted to on).
    • Show only open steps for the task (defaulted to on).
    • Add most recent task to top (defaulted to off)
    These last 3 are what are under Options/general and have no effect on the entire window
    showing up.
    You have to go into options then keys to make the key to turn it off that way
  19. Malbro Augur

In this respect I don't have a problem with them increasing their profit. I just don't like being forced into a OS that was buggy as all get out and I just upgraded to 7.

That being said, not having the taskoverlay window would not shut down the game. They could have at least put in a toggle to permanently make the window NOT show up when getting new tasks or at least make the check boxes in alt -o not become checked again upon logging in.
  20. Malbro Augur