Potion sales on Double EXP weekends

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Corwyhn Lionheart, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Its clear where your allegiances lie and also makes clear your distain of casual players. Luckily the game Devs still give some care to the group game. But they are human and make mistakes.. it happens. I will say that ONLY caring about your segment of the game isn't the best way to serve EQ. We need to keep all the playerbase healthy and happy as much as possible.

HAs were also never abused. Almost all EQ players raiders,groupers,casuals all took the path of least resistance but I don't see that as abuse I see that as everyone playing the game smartly. IF the game devs had made the various HA more equal in difficulty or properly scaled the rewards in the HAs we wouldn't have had this problem. The Devs tried their best but muffed that one a bit. If anyone is to be blamed for the HA issue it was the game Devs BUT not because they were intentionally doing it. They just miscalculated or simply ran out of time to develop CotF properly.
    Lisandra likes this.
  2. Battleaxe Augur

"Setting the lockout when you entered one, having a three hour lockout, and having the quest givers respond with "I have nothing for an adventurer with your experience." once you reached level 101 at release could have addressed many of the issues before they became issues.

And it would have allowed double exp days and exp potions to still work in those HA's since you wouldn't be able to back to back flip a single HA."

Diverting kill credit to task completion would not have been necessary.
    ^ hardly lacking insight.

And I'm not the person here who has chosen to "tilt at windmills" and dream "impossible dreams".
  3. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I have run a successful family guild for 15 years now. EQ isn't what it used to be. There was a time we would have 120+ logged in at a time. Those days are gone. Being in what for now constitutes a successful family guild doesn't guarantee grouping anymore for those who want it. Sure it helps but not as much as it used to.
  4. segap Augur

It's actually very box friendly. I was able to box all the way to Arx without issues. My point of what you were replying to is that a typical pick up group of group geared players does not fare all that well exp wise. Not saying they can't complete the content or have fun doing it. But for the sake of getting exp, it can very well suck compared to cotf zones

I've actually seen a lot of social networks formed from Gribble. It was the place everyone was going and forming pick up groups. It brought people together. By not being locked and being desirable, people were able to grab anyone that was lfg and add them. Adding lockout timers has killed that. Locked progression where you can only add people at your stage or beyond has killed that. I see more people discouraged from doing progression than encouraged by the current way of things.

Honestly, there are very few places left in EQ where you need strategy. Dispersing of unique class abilities to every other class has ruined that. Not having any difficult content (tds t3 isn't all that hard) has removed the need.
    Lisandra, Marton and Iila like this.
  5. Bigstomp Augur

Of course it can suck. They're progressing rather than doing farm content.
    Once they get it to farm status, the xp should flow.
  6. Ishtass Augur

Even if HA's were highly abused and really broken for the 1 year they've been active, why the nerf to old content mechanics that have existed since the game launched?
  7. Numiko Augur

It felt weird, logged in .. did a couple of missions.. ran daily's for some of my alts .. logged off ...
    certainly did not feel like a Holiday weekend in EQ.

I kept thinking of the old Joni Mitchell song with the line "You don't know what you got till it's gone"

Strange how you get used to a routine even if it is just double exp in your favorite game ..
  8. Brohg Augur

lol, you're 105 *3 a month into the latest expansion, you need double exp for what?
  9. Marshall Maathers Augur

The real value of double exp weekends is the fact that it brings in many more people than a regular weekend to group with. People will make exceptions to their normal schedules to play EQ for them, making the servers more lively, and more fun for everyone.

Doesn't matter if you need the exp or not.

This is not saying anything about whether Sony should or should not have double exp weekends, but it is the biggest value of them to players, as I can see it.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Lisandra like this.
  10. Brohg Augur

blech, hate that part
  11. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

You may hate it but double exp weekends help get players back online in EQ and sometimes may spark a players interest in the game again.

People out there say peeps who are already 105 shouldn't be whining about double exp weekends but those weekends aren't for them. Its for those casual players who don't log in as much. Giving them periods to catch up in the game is a good thing. It brings more players into the end game content faster and a high end game population is good for EQ subscriptions good for expansions and increased EQ revenue is a good thing over all.

Considering that some people are going to max aa and levels faster taking away double exp weekends is silly.. They will do it regardless and they are not the population the double exp stuff helps.

I think the game devs need to reconsider Double Exp weekends and add one to make up for Thanksgiving. They won't make a big difference on when I max my aa and level but they do help the more casual players.

This isn't about asking for Easy Mode its about ensuring the health of the game. Selfishly I want the game to continue and will continue to support initiatives that I consider good for the overall health of the game. If others wishing the same thing have opposing views that's cool. The more views the better. Its the dogs in a manger who are jealously guarding their end game max level max aa status from the more casual players that hurt the game.
    Ishtass and Lisandra like this.
  12. Mardy Augur

The reason for no double exp is simple...they were running station cash sales. Station cash is the reason for a lot of the changes you've seen ingame over the past 5+ years. Slowly but surely, "fun" is being stripped out so you could spend money on it. They're no longer the de facto standard as part of the content ingame. It is what it is, double exp is likely not the dev's call to make anymore.

SOE still have a few games they need to finish, so expect more push to get folks to spend on station cash this holiday season.
  13. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Hmmm never thought of it that way. For myself the only time I ever bought exp potions was on double exp days.