Potion sales on Double EXP weekends

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Corwyhn Lionheart, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Battleaxe Augur

We all have lives outside EQ. Some of us also have some time in our lives and the inclination to play some EQ. Some don't. Some tread the easy path, not to catch up, they never make enough effort to stay caught up. They tread the easy path all of the time and lobby for as close to equal results for less effort as they can get.

I would imagine most players who apply themselves start throwing experience away midpoint into expansions if not sooner. For them double exp is meaningless for most of the year. We're the ones taken advantage of by the exp system, not casuals - who should only be able to obtain casual results from their casual efforts. One should have to make more effort not less to catch up to those you trail as result of them having made more total effort than you.

Heck, raids generally provide very slow experience. Raiders in effect have their raid time not even counted in the effort -> experience scheme. In contrast my Heroic Character alt logged into the new expansion the first time and it was raining exp for him - that's hardly an example of a casual being unfairly "hurt".

I'd prefer double experience for the first 30 days only in the new expansion when its released. And no double experience thereafter.
  2. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

3. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Where are these many places? Also remember not everyone has finished progression because they don't live in the game like some do.
  4. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Read this a few time I still don't know what you mean.
    Hawklight Yandli and Garshok like this.
  5. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

[QUOTEOffer occasional catch up assistance (have you noticed that to catch up with people who are ahead generally requires MORE effort than they are expending rather than 10x less effort?) interrupted by periods of play EQ like a gamer and perhaps with the easy path removed those expecting same result with less effort will expend a bit more effort.
    ][/QUOTE]

Actually a lot of games realize they need to keep the interest of the casual players AND they realize that casual players need to keep within spitting distance of the end game. EQ2 lets casual players earn more exp then full time players. No it doesn't keep them caught up but it keeps them from falling too far behind.

I get it, you are of the mentality that no one should have an easier time of it. You feel number one because you have probably maxed aa's and level. That's fine. And you probably spend far more of your life in EQ then regular people do. That's fine too. But the game needs the casual players who also PAY to play eq. Without them the game dies that much faster. But I guess you can be a dog in the manger and protect your game status... don't let those casuals have an easier time to catch up or it will ruin the game. You probably got upset about Heroic toons too.

Everquest works best when it tries to keep all the player in mind when they develop expansions or change rules. At least that is my opinion.
    Garshok and Ishtass like this.
  6. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Just because players are more casual in their play does not mean they are looking for an easy path. And it's not for the casual players that SOE should be looking after them too... its for the health of the game.

And it is just as easy for me to say that EQ should not be made for the people who have too much time on their hands so they fill it with EQ. If you think EQ can survive with just the hard core addicts who live in the game I think you are wrong.
    Hawklight Yandli likes this.
  7. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

LOL what a SELFISH attitude :). Set up the game so it only benefits those who can toss a ton of time into it whenever you want. And if asking for 30 days straight of double exp isn't easy mode I don't know what is. Make up your mind do you want it harder for those who can put in all the time or easy. The way it used to be there was nothing close to 30 days of double exp so you are asking for super easy mode.

Let me know how long it takes you to gear up a toon in T3 TDS group gear.
  8. Edrick Augur

Just stop.

Please, stop.
  9. Battleaxe Augur

Again, all of us have lives outside of EQ. My burning of my life's candle in the game does not have less value than a casual's far less effort. You chose 20 hours of watching TV with a significant other? Good for you. I choose 20 hours of playing EQ. I'm entitled to full value for that 20 hours and you are not entitled to any credit or acceleration in EQ for that 20 hours not spent in the game.

Not in raids. Not in OOM's. But practically everywhere else.

Also remember not everyone finishes progression because not everyone makes the effort in the game required to finish progression. Progression, levels, AA's = achievements obtained by achieving, not entitlements.

If double experience was front loaded into new expansion content for 30 days and otherwise unavailable it would help entice players into new content and all of us would enjoy its benefits instead of half of us throwing the exp away because we've been at level and AA cap for 6 months.

Alternately giving players 10x 4 hour Double Experience in the Latest Expansion potions at the start of new expansions would accomplish the same thing but accommodate those who don't like playing EQ very much each week.
  10. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Incorrect... not in any old expansions not in any of the TDS areas that are filled with quest mobs not... well suffice it to say NOT everywhere else :)
  11. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Heh heh I probably have more played time on my main toon then you do. BUT I can understand how the more casual players feel and think they deserve some love too. Your doing the whole cut off your nose to spite your face thing. Keeping the casual players playing is key to EQ's health and success. It's sad you can't see that.

You must have also hated the aa autogrant and heroic toons. Personally I thought they were good for the game even if it meant people got a lot closer to me in aa without doing the work. Casual players not willing to devote time to the game needed a boost and they still do.
  12. Battleaxe Augur

It's possible - 1200 days 9 hours 20 minutes played. <- slacker

My level 100 alt that I've not played for 3 months and who just got a nice AA present for doing nothing - 73 days 18 hours 14 minutes. When I became aware Heroic Characters were going to be done I raced to level 85 and critical AAs before Heroic Characters became available. That level and AA "mountain" was not even a molehill.

"...old content..."

Indeed, I felt that Heroic Characters should not be done and that instead something like Hero's Journey should be provided with experience and gear rewards for completing tasks that take one through the highpoints of previous content. (With acceleration tapering off and finally disappearing all togehter at max level -10).

It's one thing to accelerate players who make continuous effort through the game as they experience it. It's totally different to reward them for not experiencing the game or for spending a year plus in a single HA or worse old and should be obsolete at their level content.

People who expect to get within spitting distance of others in results should make within spitting distance effort.
  13. Engineer Augur

Why did this turn into a hardcore vs casuals thread? Casuals rarely raid and, if they do, are never on the bleeding edge of content/gear. I was in a casual guild for years. We typically raided and xp'd in content that was one or two expansions old while dabbling in the group content of the most recent expansion. We were at least weeks behind the fastest levelers and never had the highest tier spells and weapons, and that was fine with us.

To insinuate that casual players are asking to have the same rewards as hardcore players is just nuts. Casual players are just asking for the game to offer a reasonable sense of progress with their limited available play time, and to not have their content (the previous expansions) yanked out from underneath them.

Anyway, why did this turn into a hardcore vs casuals thread?
  14. Battleaxe Augur

Limited playing/limited progress.

EQ should not be players spending a year in a single HA or in old content when new content is available. People spending all of their time in least effort content radically alters the game for everybody.

To my mind casuals complaining that double experience doesn't work in OMM's, old obsolete content, monster missions and they are "forced" into current content is a casuals vs. EQ thread not casuals vs. hardcore.

You don't need to be very hardcore at all to not require a Heroic Character - the mountain is a molehill. Nor do you need to be hardcore to be adventuring in TDS, content for all of us, not just the hardcore - where double experience potions and weekends will be working just fine. You do however have to log in to advance.

As was the case with OMMs, CoTF HA's helped people catch up....and then having been provided with that opportunity they were expected to take on new content hen it bacame available and not linger perpetually in old catchup content.
  15. Taza New Member

What would be the point of exp potions or double experience weekends ?

Nerfing kill experience to almost nothing makes it pointless, really will I pay hard cash so I can get 4% of a AA per kill instead to two, or even bother with double experience weekends at all?

Why bother?
    Ishtass likes this.
  16. Battleaxe Augur

I'm reading that some TDS mobs are Druid kitable. I know for a fact some aren't particularly dangerous nor do they give microscopic exp. Further there's at least one item that drops in TT I'd (a raider) dearly like to have.

What , may I ask, is the purpose of double experience if it just encourages people to linger in old content rather than adventure in new content? That would be bad for the game counter productive.

Yeah, OMM's were more rewarding than T1 of the expansion that followed them - that's why OMM rewards had to be altered. I want to see SOE investing in new content and not just improving rewards for doing OMMs for year #2, 3, 4, 9, 25,...
  17. Bigbear Augur

First if i pay monthly sub and if i paid for an expansion, i am entitled to use any part of the game i want. Even if i want to level my 5 new levels in older content. Or even if i want to spend it in one HA for a year. It may be soe game but their job should be in keeping it balanced and making a profit not in ruining it for some.

Second how exactly does someone ruin this game for everybody else if they are in an instance playing the way they want to play. I personlly dont understand doing just one HA over a billion times in a row. But they paid their money just like i did, so whatever.
    Garshok and Ishtass like this.
  18. Battleaxe Augur

First - if you click the Play button you've agree that SOE has the right to make chnges to the game. If SOE decides hordes of people still hanging out to do OMMs when new content is available is bad for the game, it is their right, and likely their obligation, to change that situation. You are incorrect about what your $14.95 buys you.

Secondly - RvR. If Joe can click a rock in PoK and get 10 AA per click it calls into question all other content that does not provide that effort/reward. Allow that and everyone will take up rock clicking fundamentally changing the game.
  19. Bigbear Augur

You do realize that soe wont be able to invest in anything if we,the players, feel that we are forced to only play the way soe or apparanly you think we should.

The natural flow of the game would have phased CotF HAs out by out leveling them in a few expansions anyways. if they had left them alone then at least they would have been enjoyable for a while longer.
    Ishtass likes this.
  20. Taza New Member

i am entitled to use any part of the game i want

Not anymore you're not if you want to get experience. The only experience in the game that is worth a darn as far as I can tell are the daily HAs in EWK, play them or you get nothing for experience to speak of.

I did the Degmar HA set at 50% AA experience and got 1 AA out of it, new content, even and yellow con mobs at 105, and 1 AA for 45 minutes work.

Weee ha , are we having fun yet?

Ishtass likes this.