PoK Lag Pile..Xegony

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by RandyLahey, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Scorrpio Augur

Are you trying to tell me I should stop mining Bitcoin while playing EQ?
    Geroblue likes this.
  2. Sam Hyde "You're" on ignore

A few people have said to "just stop casting MGBs and the pile will disperse", but as you are well aware, barely anyone reads these forums. So that's not going to happen.

I see a fairly obvious solution though, change PoK to not allow casting of Mass Group Buff and Tranquil Blessings (and mass teleports, etc). You can't harm anyone there, right? Well, popups and spell effects could be considered annoying / harmful, especially to a student trying to learn about a school of magic or trade skill while visiting a city of knowledge! It works, lore-wise.

As far as I have ever seen, no one has ever "set up buff bots" in PoK. I MGB'd for half a day, just before RoS launched. I mentioned it in general while it was going on, that might be what you're referring to. It was a holiday gift to the dozens of lowbies and loners you will see constantly asking for buffs if you spend a lot of time in PoK. I realized it was my last chance before L105 was no longer the max level, which would make those buffs far less desirable while everyone was drooling over the new L110 buffs. I won't be leveling those 2nd string alts, so I won't be doing it again.

When I attempted the buffing, I had to figure out how to configure my clients to keep framerates up while MGBing on 6 accounts (Actor clip plane down, All particles off). We're both in the same boat in that the pile is a problem, it was just a problem for a different reason in my case. *smug gnome*

I don't really mind the lag pile the rest of the time, even though its totally useless to me. I don't see it being able to be moved at this point unless Corwyhn moves it, or quits the game. He picked that spot in October 2015 (have screenshots). It was right on top of Franklin Teek for a few years before that.

Obviously you're joking. You'd be losing money, either on the power bill, the components bought, or both!
  3. RandyLahey Elder

All I was trying to say was that there are better ways to set it up. Right next to the GL door I don't think is the best spot and I think most would agree. Put it on the far side of PoK. If I had my way it would be in nexus. If people want MGB's that bad they will travel and AFK there. I'm sure no one would mind lag in nexus :p Just sayin
  4. RandyLahey Elder

All I have to say about this are my conversations in general creating problems with your gameplay? Likely not. If so, please feel free to /ignore me. If I could I'd /ignore MGB's or whatever if there was a command to do so. When I zone into PoK and have to wait 10 - 15 seconds or more for graphics to load, that is a problem. With people TSing (like myself) I'm sure this is more of a problem. Though I agree that it's nice that MGBs are happening and it's awesome that people take time out of their day to do it, it could be done in less of a way to interfere with general travel through a highly traveled zone. I don't see why it couldn't be moved to the far end of PoK or to another zone like Nexus.
  5. Bigstomp Augur

We asked the lag pile to more from lobby (where it affects raiders - who usually are the buffers) to pok.
    I'm happy it moved and happy to leave it there. When I drive though on my alt, I buff there.

Honestly, if you're complaining about the PoK being laggy, maybe you should try going out and doing something outside the PoK.
    99% of most peoples game does not happen in the PoK.
  6. Bahdah Augur

I mean, Im still ok with it going back to lobby.. maybe throne or east side of it, you'd probably see better ranked buffs there than you would in PoK, which you were getting from the person who started it. Oh but buffs are buffs yea? :)
  7. Tvarian Augur

When I first started playing EQ, the buff pile was at the large bank. Watching the traffic go through PoK, I rarely see anyone on the other side. I was thinking where a good place in PoK would be that would work. Maybe on the other side of GL entrance, between the bazaar and GL. Up on the hill between the library and the building. This would allow it to be 1) near the GL which is convenient, and 2) allows players to run past it through the building, which should slow the lag down as you won't be seeing the AFK toons.
  8. Tatanka Joe Schmo

EC tunnel ;)
    Tvarian likes this.
  9. Bamboompow Augur

Must be nice to be on a healthy server with lots of players.
    Tatanka likes this.
  10. GoneFission Augur

I don't have an issue with the players in the lobby to get and give buffs. The only thing that annoys me about it is I wish people would get off the mounts, especially the big ones and winged/flying mounts. They take so much space. Hanging out is fine, and mercs need buffs too, but all these huge mounts could get stripped by the zone.
  11. Tucoh Augur

This isn't a solution for everyone, but the lag pile, wherever it is, is much more manageable if you turn stick figures on. I have stick figures turned on for my boxed characters and it dramatically improves performance as you'd expect.

http://www.paullynch.org/eqblog/?p=555