Please substantially change the next TLP

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Kalandriel, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Kalandriel New Member

I enjoyed Everquest when I played it originally, and then like many other people I switched games after Planes of Power. I then enjoyed a couple of the TLP servers, playing a few expansions further than I did originally, and then eventually stopping. However, I haven't played a new TLP in a few years, because they're not really new...just re-starts of the same old thing.

Sure, there are minor changes to experience gain, expansion duration, or multi-boxing rules...but those are the biggest changes between servers. These changes seem like the minimal effort changes that can be made to what has been decided is the overall winning formula. I think that you can make other, major changes that can provide a fresh experience to the very successful TLP model.

I have no interest in pushing any specific change. I've seen lots of people throw out ideas about things like changing loot rules to FV style, or changing raids to target a smaller number of people, etc. There's a bunch of community ideas that would, in some cases, take significant effort on your part to implement. I'm just asking that you consider some of the major changes, and let someone with passion and vision regarding TLP servers figure out a good balance, that will give the next TLP a new and fresh feeling.

Please, at least one more time I want to be excited to come back and play Everquest again, for both the new and the old.
  2. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

LEVEL LOCKED TLP 2021
    Machen, Montag and jeskola like this.
  3. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

4. Windance Augur

Unlock the expansions in reverse order. See who finds a way to level up to 115 on level 50 mobs.
    Aiona and Gnothappening like this.
  5. Darchon_Xegony Augur

I’d love to see a TLP where they remove all raid mobs from open world and they change all AoCs to be more difficult and complex events.

Phinigel could behave like a Rathe/Coirnav hybrid. You have to a balance the 4 Swirlspines down and kill them within a minute of each other. Then you have some waves of swordfish/pirahnas/seahorses/sharks that spawn in the pit. After a few waves of them Phinigel spawns and adds keep spawning.

Nagafen could spawn waves of fire giants/imps/elementals/beetles and have some emotes.

Vox could banish to the bear pits, spawn some ice giants/tentacles/spiders/bears and maybe have a few points in her HP she auto-CHs to 100%.

Kunark outdoor dragons could have phases of the fight where they call every mob in the zone to come to them and assist.

Venril Sathir could have an emote to do an AE lifetap on a person unless they get out of the room, and he could have another emote to AE dispel unless people get out of the room.

Trakanon could summon waves of Frogs/Myconids/Juggernauts. He could have a 6-target banish emote so you can’t just bypass the banish by pulling him. An emote where he banished everyone in an area around his target after 10 seconds could be cool too.

Etc. etc. make the defeat of these raid mobs in era an actual accomplishment again due to the challenge they present your raid.
    Aegir likes this.
  6. Gnothappening Augur

I would like to see three different possibilities, sadly none of them will ever happen.

First let's have an FV TLP (pipe dream I know).

Next let's have a TLP like the first progression server I played on, the Combine. Things have to be completed to unlock expansions and if you are the first that completes whatever the goal is, your name gets added to the website for that event. It wasn't all just raid mobs either, first to max tradeskills could be a thing or first to get each epic, etc. They could even add in new ones like hunter achievements for specific zones or all zones. Sadly this won't happen because it adds web developer work and some specialized coding. Since people steamroll content now maybe have this one make you finish all achievements and then you vote to unlock.

My third option is a server I would probably never play on but I think a lot of people would like. Make it a premium server that you have to pay extra to play on. Make it one toon per account. Cap the population to whatever the number is that is right before we get ques. Let new characters only be made on this server when subs run out. So basically, you can only have one character per account and you have to pay say, $30 a month to play and it is capped at 2000 people. Not sure on any of those numbers just estimates. Oh and make it all open world with no agents of change.
  7. a_librarian Augur

8. Zanarnar Augur

ok, level 25 limit in classic, must beat classic (This includes Plane of Sky) to unlock Kunark.. which has a level 30 limit. :p
  9. jeskola pheerie

10. sadre Augur

-- multibox friendly
    -- no human player characters
    -- script what human guilds are doing now, and create AI bots to run server-side 24/7. These babies chew through content, so be ready!
    -- players occupy and can "level" through NPC roleplay.

For example, as a newb I would occupy a low-level NPC (like a merchant in Neriak underground, etc.) until I acquired enough plat and "transaction points" with the AI bot crews to "level up" to better merchants and eventually, town guards, and finally aggro mobs.

You can hold A Diseased Skeleton for hours for a few copper and a few "chase points" going after bots. But holding Trakanon will be astronomically more difficult, for example. You will need to consistently wipe bot raids, and a kill resets your interaction points to a froglok wizard at the entrance.

So this is NOT easy mode.
    Uesce likes this.
  11. Nennius Curmudgeon

Or have an endless cycle TLP server. Every 60 days or so all characters revert to level 1 and folks get to race again to see who is fastest at familiar things.
    sadre likes this.
  12. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I've toyed with the idea of changing the unlock schedule, mostly I focused on reducing the classic window & the 70 era.

Perhaps the start could go something like this - gives 8 weeks apiece to the level 60 expansions RoK/SoV/SoL?

Unlock Schedule (b):

Week 001 Level 20 - Progression XP
    Week 002 Level 30
    Week 003 Level 40
    Week 004 Level 50
    Week 006 Level 60
    Week 030 Level 65 - GoD XP - Enable upgrade 51/50
    Or could even slim it down to 8 weeks for RoK as it has the level raise to 60 from 50 then 4 weeks apiece for the other 2 level 60 expansions.

Unlock Schedule (c):

Week 002 Level 30
    Week 003 Level 40
    Week 004 Level 50
    Week 006 Level 60
    Week 022 Level 65 - GoD XP - Enable upgrade 51/50
    Or could race to 65 - this one is where I think it could be too short a time at level 60 though.

Unlock Schedule (d):

Week 002 Level 30
    Week 003 Level 40
    Week 004 Level 50
    Week 006 Level 60
    Week 018 Level 65 - GoD XP - Enable upgrade 51/50
  13. Faydra Augur

FV TLP or Level Locked sounds interesting. Classic/Kunark/Velious launch would be something different too. All sound fun.
  14. Accipiter Old Timer

Will never happen. If Aradune has taught us anything it is that DPG has no ability to police a special rules server. A no-box server would be the worst of all worlds.
    code-zero and Skuz like this.
  15. kdomg Journeyman

Is the raid game too easy? I think so, especially when the content is often beaten within hours of release. So here's a bad idea...Hard-mode server. Don't change the content, just change how many players you can take into any raid DZ (AOC or otherwise).

Maybe limit the max to 24 characters in the DZ until expansion X, then increase to XX, and so on.

We all know that plenty of guilds split content, and for me, these were the most satisfying raids. Everyone had to play well and do their part to succeed.

/shrug something to ponder, I'm sure there's a million reasons why it can't be done, and the just say no crowd will think of every one them.
  16. Rcbauer Augur

Start in Kunark
    Focus effects in
    BL and Ber in game from start.
    Win.
  17. Febb Augur

Maybe a Super Smash Bros EQ edition. Where you can play whichever NPC you want in PVP against other people playing NPC's.
  18. Tucoh Augur

No economy. All gear, coin is no drop, corpse locks on death

Max party size of three
  19. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

If you want focus effects and Beastlords in then the TLP has to start in SoL - AKA "trilogy start".

If you want Berserkers in then you gotta start the TLP in GoD - AKA "GoD-Mode" or something similar to it.

The devs have basically reverted to the position of rigidly keeping those 2 classes to their respective expansions for whatever convoluted logic they used even going so far as to tie the class loots in Plane of Fear to those specific expansions. If they ever once thought about maybe having BST/BER in classic they have since walked back from that position.
  20. Xhartor Augur

How about TLP that starts in Luclin or LDoN, with the standard unlock schedule.