Please, do not launch another server.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Adreus, May 23, 2015.

1. Adreus Lorekeeper

The population will eventually spread out a bit, some people will quit, and we will have a server with a decent population. If another server is made it will just be another Vulak; doomed from the start.

Even in Unrest, which had 60+ people at some points today, I was able to find a great group (thanks to my guild) and level from 21-30. However, there are zones out there that have more space/less people. You don't always have to be in a zone with a huge experience modifier to level/have fun.

If the crowding really gets to you, then just try zones with less of a crowd. It's really not that bad; especially with a guild or group of friends.
  2. Chanur Lorekeeper

Are you incapable of understanding the concept of merging? So you had fun, well screw the rest of the people that couldn't get in right? You got yours.
    Tamier likes this.
  3. Adreus Lorekeeper

I was locked out of the server 3 times. Spam clicked play, and pressed enter to close the box. Longest time this took was maybe 3-5 mins of spam. It was on prime time, by the way. Unless there was a 100% guarantee that the servers would merge then it's not worth it in the long run.
  4. Protagonist Tank

Nothing to add to the topic other than my whole-hearted agreement with the OP.
  5. jordune Augur

i went to unrest. 72 people there.
    got one spider after an hour
    and got KSd .. left for greener pastures
    Elkay and Adreus like this.
  6. PathToEternity pathtoeternity.pro

I tend to agree with OP. A second server probably would have been fine if that ship hadn't sailed (a second server now will cause issues like Vulak did). If they were gonna do it it needed to be announced before launch.

The chances of a merger are abysmal. Vulak never got merged, what makes you think TLP 3.0 would?
  7. Stigmas Elder

O no, how horrible you may actually have to go out and explore the world, instead of camping at the defualt most popular spots.
    CocoaNut likes this.
  8. Baphamet Elder

agree with op
  9. Tamier Augur

And while you're probably on the top end asking that, everyone on the bottom end sits around for hours waiting on camps, spawns, mobs. Not a fair call imo.
  10. Ragefire Mage New Member

A second server launched about 1 month later would be a very wise thing to do. They should probably make the rules of whatever took 2nd place on most of the polls... maybe 3 month unlocks.. the server population is maxed pretty much from the start, there is a huge player base that wants EQ, Devs all you gotta do is open the door, the opportunity is now
  11. Heilena Augur

You clueless need to buy a clue.

Do a zone break down.

Antonica 59
    Odus 7
    Faydwar 17
    Total 83 zones counting city zones for 4k peoples if you spread them all the way out that's 40+ per zone.

take out roughly 24 zones that wont be experienced in. You are left with roughly 59 zones add back in the Planer zones PoH/S/F. You are sitting at 62 zones for 4k people. putting you at 60+ people per zone if you are spread over the whole world.

Now fast forward 1 month.

You can remove half of those zones as being active because you going to be contained a hand full of zones to exp.
    PoH
    PoS
    PoF
    Lguk
    SolB
    Cazic Thule
    Hole
    Permafrost
    Kedge

That is 9 zones that will be trying to share half of the zone population. You stick those 9 zones with half the server population on one server that's 200+ people per zone.

That is no fun for anyone.

I actually played back when they had numbers on the login screen. They held 4k players back in 1999 they found it did not work because its not enough zone content for the player base.

The problem the other progression servers had, They were not dead locked in BASE EQ for 6 months. IF we started with Base+Kunark 1 server would not be an issue. But you clearly have no clue how things worked first time around talking about no second server.
    Dartaniun and Hateseeker like this.
  12. Heilena Augur

The population will also even out when 90% of the people who realize DBC wont bother to fix the server load/population balance because it actually requires work. And LEAVE not because they didn't want to play, but because they gave up waiting to play. They should have had 2 servers set up to start, incase they had maxoverload to just load balance it to another. I
  13. Makenzi Journeyman

Our group has managed to get to 13ish and we'd be glad to reroll on another server to be able to do a dungeon but it seems that unless you can play at wee hours of the morning or such then it's bugs and outdoors for you! Can't imagine what it will be like in a month /puke
  14. Dartaniun Augur

Heilena makes a great point. We might lose some people to boredom, lack of newness, etc, but that number will not be enough to offset the amount of people that will be in the top 10 zones for exp and/or gear farming. Unless they eventually instance those the problem of the server being full will never be resolved without a 2nd server to spread out the population.

I've leveled up to 6 and spent a good bit of time blacksmithing along with getting spells/gear for 3 other toons. With that time into this server I'd gladly re-roll on a sever where I could get in when I actually want to play and could enjoy the time ingame as opposed to what it is now. Too populated and that won't change without a 2nd server
  15. Alexanders Augur

As a general rule server merges almost never happen. We have two other TLP releases to reference any suggested merge will be too little too late to save the server. We need the population to be consolidated in one place not split up. Getting into the server is getting better every day and this is opening weekend.

Within the next week or two people having trouble getting into Ragefire will be almost non existent or during peak prime time hours only maybe you will wait in the new queue. The server itself will be very crowded for a good few months but after that having everyone on the same server will be a plus.
    code-zero likes this.
  16. Gwoben Journeyman

So 2 TL members who are currently way ahead of curve could find a guild group in a dungeon and they ask not to open another server because they do not care what happens to the majority of server once they leave instanced newbie zones?
  17. Alexanders Augur

These kinds of comments don't win your opinion any support and are unnecessary.

Spending 6 months in classic is indeed going to be cramped. At least half the server population will likely never make it past level 35. Many currently playing will quit after a month or two or well before reaching the end zones you listed. To argue that 2000 players will all be on simultaneously fighting for mobs in those 9 zones is kind of a end of the world as we know it extreme I don't believe it will be as bad as your claims make it out to be.

Don't take that the wrong way classic Everquest from 40-50 is a small place and it will be absolutely packed. You seem to claim to know how previous progression servers worked but yet still can't acknowledge that a second server would likely never be merged with Ragefire. If ever released and you end up with a split population on two different servers both will end up dying much faster then if there was only one.

Six months in classic will be a challenge if we end up spending that long here. After that however only having one server will be a giant plus for this TLP period.
  18. Heilena Augur

I'm not looking to get support from people to dumb to do simple mathematics. But you have a valid point I should be nicer.

If you still take away 75% of the population that is currently attempting to play.

You still having imo over 2k people wanting to play. In 1999 they had 3500 people on servers it didn't work. Even after they leveled and spread out. You still only have 9 zones to fit 70% of your server population.

You still looking at 1400-1500 people from lvl 35-50. That is still 100+ people per higher level zone hoping to be standing on a mob spawn location so they can get first agro.

Much more realistic they tie 2 TLP servers together with same name server allowing anyone to /movelog newserver keeping name but being lvl 1. At the end of RoK when you could actually have 3k people on a server and be a healthy size. Merge them back.

Also make all the voting tied together for unlock votes.
  19. Stigmas Elder

I would wait till next week end to even start making assumptions on what the server population is going to be like. Many restaurants are packed opening day, just to go out of business in a month.
  20. Templeton Augur

Especially if, when customers try to use them, they charge $$ up front and then lock the doors for three hours before finally letting them in to stand around in a crowded room holding an empty plate.

Waiting for people to go, effectively driving customers to leave, is not a solution here.