Perm Invis Feedback

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Orcen, Jul 31, 2022.

1. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Most/all of the fade abilities were nerfed with the release of Miragul. Which is funny/sad, since Miragul doesn't exist anymore, but we still have the legacy of the nerfed fade AAs.

Can they get changed back?
    Wdor, Vumad, Metanis and 4 others like this.
  2. Piemastaj Augur

IMHO, every class should have double invis at this point. Or bring back factions like they did in TBL where you can 'min/max' and be able to walk around no matter what. Fairly easy QOL change that can be made with code already set in place.

At this point in the game every class can drop aggro and move around pretty well. Not having double invis is tedious and makes boring content even worse to try and get through.
    Vumad and Fenthen like this.
  3. lagkills Slain by Fippy while guards stood and watched.

How about a teleport that moves you in front of the camp you want to be at?
    Since they whored out fade abilities to everyone, and perm invis makes traversal a joke, why not.
  4. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Why not just make every class have the same DPS then? Get over it not every class needs perm invis/undead.
  5. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Yea whats the point of having bards with double invis? Did they see all boxers play a bard so figure lets be nice and give bards double invis? Seems out of blue them getting this.
  6. Spacemonkey555 Augur

They're the group invis class. They had it like 50 levels before anyone else as a spell at 19 when aa didn't even exist. Giving it to them "out of the blue" 5 years ago was the right call since group invis got farmed out to about half the classes.
    code-zero likes this.
  7. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Bards are the utility class, of course they should have group double invis.
  8. Brontus EQ Player Activist

Because it's a game is not really a satisfactory answer that explains why invis cast on me before a mob has me on his hate list works and invis cast on me after a mob has me on his hate list does not make me invis to that mob.

I appreciate the argument that NPCs need to have advantages to provide challenge for players. The key is finding the right balance.

Just for fun, here are some more ridiculous powers that NPCs have that players can never have:
    • They are all monks who can hit for hundreds with their fists.
    • They all have enduring breath and never drown
    • They never fizzle their spells
    • They are immune to melee interruptions
    • They are never too close or too far to hit you
    • They can hit you from a distance but you can't hit them
    • They can warp to any player through steel, brick, earth and ice
    • They can summon players
    • They can magically communicate to their allies and get help.
    • They can wander in deadly zones and not get attacked by natural enemies
    • They can climb rocks, trees, and hills and never fall or take damage
    • They regen to full within a few seconds if nobody is on their hate list
    • Some are immune to snare, root, stun, charm, and other abilities
    • They can stand in one spot for 23 years (most vendors)
    • They don't have to eat or drink
    • Some even are immune to being attacked i.e. Priests of Discord and the dwarves near the docks in Butcherblock.
    • Some don't even need legs to kick -- i.e. snakes
    • They don't have to pay an All Access Subscription :)
    The larger the gap between player and NPC power, the more unbelievable a fantasy virtual world becomes because immersion is eroded which destroys the suspension of disbelief. Fantasy worlds have to have some degree of verisimilitude.

As Richard Bartle once remarked, it's essential for game designers to understand why things are the way they are, instead of just blindly incorporating them into their game because the previous game had them. I suspect Verant copied a lot of things from MUDs without thinking things through. Then after a while NPC abilities become sacred cows that the devs are afraid to remove.
  9. Tucoh Augur

Thank God for that.

10. Brickhaus Augur

Bards never had IVU. There's no justification for giving bards IVU except developer whim.

That's the real problem with invisibility in Everquest. The decisions are up to developers' whim and there's no real central planning for overall world effect (a number of other areas where this occurs as well). The Circlet of Umbra not usable by clerics remains the single biggest FU to a class in EQ history. And there's just no reason for it. Mages getting IVU aas ... you know a developer just assumed mages had IVU as a spell when making the first IVU aas ... and never went back to check/correct.

I'd prefer a more consistent invisibility system in EQ (which includes looking at mobs seeing through invis/ivu), but it's nowhere near top priority for this ageing game.
    Fenthen and MacDubh like this.
  11. Spacemonkey555 Augur

Some are straight bugs or dev jokes that were too funny to remove, like snakes kicking. Most are changes the devs had to make to prevent players from exploiting the limited ai possible to bestow to the masses of mobs on an mmo server (never drown, no melee interrupt, hit box, warp, summon, assist, no faction fights, no fall damage, regen if unengaged, immunities). Mob reaction to invis is very obviously one of those. You think you should be able to deal with agro with a 10 plat instant potion?

Most of the rest can be explained by devs prioritizing what most players want over what extremely literal roleplayers might want. I don't need to see the vendor I'm headed to putting up a closed sign "back in 3 hours, lunch break, might poop, def gonna take a nap". Also don't need every mob for the rest of the life of the game dropping trash weapons, I love the new plat instead of trash regime, gogo lucky convenient cash loot.
  12. Syylke_EMarr Augur

There is a vast (and I mean vast) difference between class balance/roles and quality of life/utility features.
    Fenthen likes this.
  13. Angahran Augur

One of the best games showing how NPC/PC should be done was Deus Ex.
    From what I remember reading, the developers first built the game world and then placed the NPCs and the PC in it.
    But, unlike EQ, both the NPCs and the PC interacted with the world in the same way.
    e.g. If a player had to open a door, then an NPC also had to open a door, no warping through walls.
    If there was a fence that the PC couldn't climb over, then the NPCs couldn't climb over it either.
    If an NPC was alone, far away from allies, with no way to communicate, e.g. a radio, then it couldn't magically summon help.
    If the PC was being chased and managed to get out of line of sight of NPCs, they wouldn't automatically keep following, they would actually have to search.
    Fenthen and Brontus like this.
  14. code-zero Augur

Why is Bard double invis even being discussed in a topic about permanent invis?
  15. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

I like the idea of random death chances for classes that I don't play.
  16. minimind The Village Idiot

• Cloudy Potion = Insta-cast invis
    • Philter of Unlife Awareness = 1.5 second cast-time Invis v. Undead
    • Philter of Concealment = 5 second cast-time no-fail invis (10 min. duration?)
    I play a berserker 99% of the time. With all the bag space we have nowadays, potions serve me just fine. Invis, IvU, Cure, Gate, etc. I mean, ya, I love double-invis from bard, but as long as you manage your expectations and accept some risk, it's all fun and exciting.
  17. Vumad Cape Wearer

Yeah, but why not just add a potion that doesn't include that hassle for 20p. Like, really whats the big deal. Does the chance of it fading which add some level of immersion you dont want to lose? Keep using the old one.
  18. Angahran Augur

If nothing else make cloudy potions stack to 100 (or 1000).
  19. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

If I were making a new MMO from scratch, I wouldn't put full invisibility in it at all; instead I would put in ranks of spells that cut detection range progressively, so you could slip between a pair of guards, but not walk right through them. Higher level NPCs would have better detection ability, requiring higher level non-detection buffs to get past.
  20. kizant Augur

Yeah permanent was always a mistake plus too many classes have both. It's weird to me that so many people want to trivialize everything.
    Ravanta Suffer likes this.
  21. Shillingworth Augur

I will tear through 50 cloudy potions in the course of 6 to 8 hours of play if I stay actively grinding. I almost exclusively look for undead spots not just because paladin slay but also because I have reliable invis without costing a bunch of potions. My cloudy mask is nice if I have 10s to cast an invis but that's not always the case. Sometimes I just get by with LoS, lull, leap, and balefire (fade).