Perhaps it is time for a Truebox Live server

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Bardy McFly, Apr 10, 2022.

1. Bardy McFly Augur

It's just strange that so many people think the game would be better without boxers (i.e. get more groups of real players) but then every time an option comes up to split the players up to disallow it in some places, suddenly nobody actually wants to do that. It sounds more like the anti-boxer community just wants to dictate to the boxer community how they want others to be forced to try to enjoy the game.

And before someone says "boxing is fine, cheating is not", I've seen plenty of people complain that a single box group allows one player to monopolize a whole camp for a whole day, even if that player is boxing manually with no tools.
  2. Chikkin Augur

You made me laugh indirectly Benito, something about the term "prison server" reminded me of George Carlin's famous bit about how to decrease the prison population. Have you seen it? lol.
  3. uberkingkong Augur

I think the real ask is people want interact with each other actual gameplay with each other. Preferably not in a box group. Then you have topics like 2 mercs so people can duo.

Whats wrong with playing with a 3 boxer vs you and someone else 2 mercing? Still playing with 1 other person either way. The only thing is maybe the 3 boxer has more influencing because they carrying.

Group game is dead, and the developers think reviving it is by making group game harder.

They could do what other do great, random group generator and puts you in a group in dungeon. Would need level filters because a lvl 80 with a 110 it wouldn't work out since EQ is about mobs scaling to you rather than how other games usually do it by you scaling up to the mobs.

With a scaling up to the mobs, an 80 can do decent against 110s. Current way, you have 2 80s and 4 110s, 80s are useless.
    Bardy McFly and Yinla like this.
  4. Thunderkiks Augur

Would be ok if true box actually worked right. I have always true boxed my chars on live servers. When Miragul opened I made characters there to play. True box code doesn't look for the actual PC's, its looking for input in a certain time. I have been doing it this way so long I'm good at it. When I played on Miragul before it went live I had to be super slow hitting stuff on multiple PC's or I would get disconnected which is really dumb. The way I worked around it was have each PC on their own internet. I have home internet and 2 cell phones but I shouldn't have had to do it that way. I true box with no software at all. Multiple PC's, multiple mice, multiple keyboards.
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Why do you think that botters would want to play on this server? If you want any chance of a prison server working it has to have the same content as live servers. And krono can't be transfered off that server is pointless as all krono are bought from Daybreak in the first place so the botters are still getting them from daybreak.
  6. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

So far, when TLP reach "Live Status" Truebox has been removed (along with any other special ruleset features), they are then identical to a live server until they are merged.

So this has never happened yet and there has been nothing to suggest it will ever happen either.
    Yinla and Bardy McFly like this.
  7. Benito EQ player since 2001.

It’s a prison server. It’s giving them a place to play instead of getting banned. (A prison server should be the furthest concession if Daybreak is considering normalizing automation and other cheats).

Containing wealth (Krono) and power acquisition (characters) acquired through cheating prevents or limits their effect on rule-abiding players.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And what exactly is that supposed to mean?

If daybreak would actually consider a prison server it would need to be on the same content as live otherwise players are just going to keep coming back to live.

As for the krono issue all those krono are not obtained through cheating as they are bought from the daybreak store. While you might say that the trade includes items gotten from cheating I don't think that matters. Not to mention they can't limit krono to a server and I don't see any way for them to do that without creating a new version of krono.
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You can have botters with attended gameplay or with unattended gameplay. Not every botter is setup to play when they are not around.
    Bardy McFly and MacDubh like this.
  10. Benito EQ player since 2001.

1. The staggering of content from Live prevents the drama of “firsts” and rankings. It also sends the message that Daybreak does not endorse cheating. The carrot for abiding by the rules is current content.

2. Any Automator remaining on Live would receive a permanent ban. A prison server gives Daybreak cover.

3. Krono can be used to transfer cheat-acquired wealth.

I’m not going to be accused of derailing this thread. If you want to discuss the merits now, I can create a new thread. Otherwise, you can agree to disagree.
  11. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Ah, Warring’s true position shows.

I always suspected that you could support automation based on your disproportionate reaction to my suggestion of legal threats against cheat software developers and hosts.
  12. MacDubh TABLES!!!

I am pretty sure I already posted this in one of the other threads going, but anyway...

A prison server will not provide the outcome the anti-cheat population is looking for. The biggest issue I see on these boards with automation is the 24/7 camping and monopolizing content. This is done 99% of the time by professional botters (ie they do this to make money). The money to be made isn't on prison servers where everyone would in theory be using automation.

You will still end up with automation on the non-cheat servers and almost exclusively by the true bad actors in this. Yes I know all automation is bad and that is a fine opinion on the matter, but that doesn't change the fact that bot armies farming current content is far more disruptive to gameplay than the loner who has limited play time minding their own business in old content and/or instances.

I am not sure if it has changed, but P99 was the most successful I have seen at limiting boxing. I am sure boxing was still a thing knowing that my friend and I both ran 2 accounts on it for a time, but they were very unforgiving with people who abused the system. You could run a similar type server on EQ live but I have my doubts on how successful it would be.
  13. Bardy McFly Augur

And I will go on record, again, saying I that I am also vehemently opposed to unattended gameplay. If players want to pay for power-leveling services, I'd say that is fine as long as the power-levelers themselves are actually at the keyboard and not using unattended play themselves to give people levels or AA.
  14. Bardy McFly Augur

There was one server that was exactly this, I forget which one. It allowed only 2 connection if memory serves me, just like P99. I think it was Aradune? That server had its own sets of drama but I think the 2 connection limit went over pretty well even though I heard about a few bad actors getting around it somehow.
  15. Bardy McFly Augur

I'd be fine with a jail server discussion. I'd still take that over not being able to play at all should suspensions come for whatever reason. But I'd also want to be able to legitimately transfer my FV accounts over to it, which up until now has been its own jail server (which I'm also totally fine with).

Edit: Based on this comment, that server would also need to be FV ruleset.
  16. Benito EQ player since 2001.

So I think a workable solution is to make the prison server like Test Server. (I was thinking they could repurpose Test Server as a de facto prison server but it would upset the current rule-abiding denizens on it).

You could /testcopy any Live characters over to Prison Server or Test Server 2.
  17. Bardy McFly Augur

Missed a comment that I added. The jail server would need FV ruleset so that FV toons can transfer to it. But we're getting off topic-ish here.
  18. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Yeah, I’m not going to derail your thread. I’m probably going to stop the exchange with Warring. I’ll make my own thread if there is interest about this subject but I’d prefer not to do it at this time.
  19. Waring_McMarrin Augur

What? You are saying I support automation because I realize that you have people who do it while at the keyboard? Did I try to say it was okay? Did I try to justify anything about it? No! I am trying to clarify that you can have people botting and cheating without unattended gameplay.

Quit trying to put words in other peoples mouths.
  20. Bardy McFly Augur

Actually, I'll make the thread because ironically, what you're asking for is weirdly related to something I had requested in the past.