Perhaps it is time for a Truebox Live server

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Bardy McFly, Apr 10, 2022.

1. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I’ll make the thread. It is my idea.
  2. Bardy McFly Augur

I already made it since I requested this in the past LOL!
  3. Waring_McMarrin Augur

1. What are you talking about? Worried about server wide firsts when that server can be ignored and content falls within hours of unlocking.

2. Tolerate cheating? Seems like that is the idea if they make a prison server, if they are not tolerating cheaters they would just suppend/ban them.

3. Not sure what the problem is with this and that doesn't address the issue that krono can't be limited to a single server.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I don't think anyone in this thread is supporting that, just need to keep in mind that you can automate gameplay while being at the keyboard.
  5. Vumad Cape Wearer

What you said had already been said and I replied to it.
  6. Bardy McFly Augur

I think a lot of remaining players leaving TLPs when they hit Live is not because they dislike the ruleset. It's because the server is known to everyone as a TLP that has run its course and already had a mass exodus post-PoP. They've also seen TLP get merged at Live. The players still left on the server know they won't get fresh blood because of this. A fresh Live Truebox server wouldn't have that stigma.
  7. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Actually the reason is more likely that the company has a limit of some kind on how many servers they can have active in total - perhaps they buy a "package deal" from their Server Hosting Service and in order to go above that they would need to be paying for a substantially more expensive deal.

for a purely hypothetical example:

Server host Package 1 - 30 servers with peak users of 2000, ccu of 50% $3,000 per server ($90k package)
    Server host package 2 - 60 servers with peak users of 2000, ccu of 50% $2,800 per server ($168k package)

So long as the company stays within package 1's limit they only pay the 30x$3,000 price, but if they go even 1 over they end up being into the package 2 & paying for 60 servers, 29 of which they aren't even using.

Some providers might only charge on a purely per server basis & not use such packages but whoever DPG are using seem to since they do have a limit, even if that is a soft limit it;s also a financial one too.

Where does this server limit I speak of come from - well when Aradune & Rizlona were waiting to be created they had to do some mergers to free up server slots for them,

https://www.everquest.com/news/eq-server-merge-spring-2020

this was one of the reasons their released was delayed, they also had to fix the merge software to get it working with the new hardware before they could do those mergers to free up the server slots.
    Bardy McFly likes this.
  8. Bardy McFly Augur

Those are some expensive Windows NT servers!

Haha, kidding aside I'm sure you're spot on.
  9. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Like I said purely hypothetical, I have no idea what the package DPG are using looks like or how much they get charged per server but there is some sort of cap on how many they want to run so "slots" are limited & require mergers to keep the number of active servers below their limit.
    Bardy McFly likes this.
  10. Vumad Cape Wearer

I understand all that. You missed my point.

OP was about making a truebox live server.

My point was, that people can truebox on TLP. If Truebox were so desired that it were successful, they would merge 2 different live servers and leave the successful truebox server alone.

The new servers which are going to be true-box, relaxed true-box then open box is proof that there is not enough demand for a truebox live server to justify a launch of a truebox live server.

I believe that all of this is evidence that a freshly launched truebox live server would fail. And as you pointed out on server limitations, that even a success is a failure in that it is a waste of resources.
    Yinla and Skuz like this.
  11. Bardy McFly Augur

Did you see my comment from about 45 mins ago? I covered what I think is what is going on when TLP does hit Live.
  12. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

You're right I did miss that, and I think you are right to an extent, though more than likely they'd still merge the "successful" high population Truebox TLP with a live server & be happy they regenerated a Live server. No TLP yet has had a load of players hoping to keep truebox and I doubt there ever will be.
  13. Elvenphox Lorekeeper

Not really. Just a handful willing to post abundantly on the topic.
    Vumad and code-zero like this.
  14. Angahran Augur

Yes back in the day you were playing one account, mainly because most people only had one phone line.
  15. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

I was on dial up and my friend was on cable he had three computers i was poor only had one lol.
  16. HowDidIEndUpBackHere Elder

is Bardy McFly the Benito of Truebox?
  17. Bardy McFly Augur

Haha no I just like suggesting lots of stuff with everyone in mind to give DPG ideas to think about.
    HowDidIEndUpBackHere likes this.